Oxygen depletion in a sealed room

• Thread starter Buddy Hemphill
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Buddy Hemphill

I have a big burner and my hot water heater in my garden. I think I am depleting oxygen to the point of it causing a little droop.

If I hook up a fan to dump fresh air to replenish oxygen....how much air do I move?

I will be using a 8" max can fan. I am curious as to how often I should set it to dump fresh air to make up for what the hot H20 heater and burner are using....is there a rule of thumb for this? I know there are variables to calculate...anybody got the formula?

B

Buddy Hemphill

....maybe come from the co2 controller with a 3way cord and run the burner and a smaller (4-6"?) fan with the CAP controller...just let it blow while the co2 is running?

I know fresh air is a no-no, but I am killing o2 in the room. I was drooping a bit and turned off the burner and opened the door for a while and they perked up....I am fairly certain I need a little o2 in the mix.

G

googolplexs

yes the roots need oxygen, I don't know what your grow is if hydro put pump out side room, if dirt I am not aware as to how to bring extra oxygen in to roots.

T

THSeedFarmer

You're trying to keep the oxygen flowing to the Roots

:)
If you can set up a plank with perfect wholes for your buckets
You would run the outdoor air or you could shpritz some oxygen canister down there (expensive but most sanitary option)...

I

IVIars

Wont the plant produce enough oxygen? I have a sealed room with co2 and i can breathe fine when i open the door and step in.

I put 2-2x3's on the floor and plastic over them to sit my smart pots on to let air get to the bottom. Also put a small fan on the floor blowing between them. I figured that since co2 is heavy than air it would help circulate it

D

DixinCider

as long as the rooms not getting two hot, the plants don't need 02 (if you're doing dwc, put air pumps out of the room) they need c02 (they produce the 02) at night they need no c02 (they sleep, use stored energy)

B

Buddy Hemphill

as long as the rooms not getting two hot, the plants don't need 02 (if you're doing dwc, put air pumps out of the room) they need c02 (they produce the 02) at night they need no c02 (they sleep, use stored energy)

Plants dont need oxygen?

deacon1503

deacon1503

+1

Plants consume co2 and discharge o2. in theory you should exhaust the room at night to purge the co2, plus it helps with reducing the RH at night too.

B

Buddy Hemphill

I disagree.

Where is the root zone suppposed to pick up O2 if a hot water heater and CO2 burner are using it all?

I understand O2 in ....CO2 out....

but my plants were drooping and adding some outside air fixed it.

I'm still not understanding how a plant doesnt need oxygen to live.

If it does need oxygen....and you take oxygen away....you are gonna have issues, it would seem. I did.

I was looking for a schedule on how many times to trigger a fan....and how long to run it.

10 minutes every three hours has helped a lot

If it isnt oxygen depletion, any other ideas are welcome.

D

DixinCider

I disagree.

Where is the root zone suppposed to pick up O2 if a hot water heater and CO2 burner are using it all?

I understand O2 in ....CO2 out....

but my plants were drooping and adding some outside air fixed it.

I'm still not understanding how a plant doesnt need oxygen to live.

If it does need oxygen....and you take oxygen away....you are gonna have issues, it would seem. I did.

I was looking for a schedule on how many times to trigger a fan....and how long to run it.

10 minutes every three hours has helped a lot

If it isnt oxygen depletion, any other ideas are welcome.

that doesn't make sense. are doing dwc? if so make sure you're air pumps are outside you're room (so the root zone is getting 02. the roots need 02, plants breath c02 like we do oxygen)

Desertboy

Desertboy

Buddy when you dehumidify the grow room air with your air con removes O2 from the atmosphere with bottled co2 this doesn't happen but when you burn hydrocarbon's it's produces co2+water you then remove the water with your dehumidifier this reduces O2 content even if the plants are 100% efficient at turning CO2 back to O2 in your room.

Some of your precious room O2 gets locked into waste water through combustion.

osidecannabis

osidecannabis

i think some points need to be looked at.
1-ppm- a plant thrives @ 1500ppm co2 and dies @ 5000ppm co2.
2-plants are aerobic organism- by definition use/need oxygen
3-Cellular respiration-Nutrients commonly used by plants cells in respiration include sugar, amino acids and fatty acids, and a common oxidizing agent is molecular oxygen (O2)
4-he has a "little droop" and no pics have been posted, hardly any info pertaining to the problem has been posted. without detailed info on your room and what you feed it, nobody here can help you. there is a plethora of issues it could be.

I

IVIars

If you can breathe in your room, theyre fine. Humans need 16% o2 (i believe) to breathe. Which would be 160,000ppm. If you can breathe in your room, they are fine. Not o2 deprived.

B

Buddy Hemphill

i think some points need to be looked at.
1-ppm- a plant thrives @ 1500ppm co2 and dies @ 5000ppm co2.
2-plants are aerobic organism- by definition use/need oxygen
3-Cellular respiration-Nutrients commonly used by plants cells in respiration include sugar, amino acids and fatty acids, and a common oxidizing agent is molecular oxygen (O2)
4-he has a "little droop" and no pics have been posted, hardly any info pertaining to the problem has been posted. without detailed info on your room and what you feed it, nobody here can help you. there is a plethora of issues it could be.

really?

Then why did dumping fresh air for ten minutes every 3 hours fix the problem?

Like I said...plants need oxygen. Show me how I am wrong?...lol...

I just puilled 2 l's a candle in dirt. Not a plethora. Just one problem. I fixed it.

You are right. Nobody here helped me. A guy a the hydro store did.

And the answer was 10 minuutes of fresh air every three hours.

I am not debating whether this will fix my problem or not. It did. I am trying to undertand why it worked so well at this point.

Plants needed more oxygen is all I could come up with.

Here are some pics though....lol...

DSC00486 800x600
DSC00470 800x600
DSC00472 800x600
DSC00440 800x600
DSC00443 800x600
B

Buddy Hemphill

Buddy when you dehumidify the grow room air with your air con removes O2 from the atmosphere with bottled co2 this doesn't happen but when you burn hydrocarbon's it's produces co2+water you then remove the water with your dehumidifier this reduces O2 content even if the plants are 100% efficient at turning CO2 back to O2 in your room.

Some of your precious room O2 gets locked into waste water through combustion.

wow...didnt have a clue. Another o2 robber in the room. And I run 2....

thanks for the info.

I

IVIars

i still say if you can breathe in your room, then there is enough oxygen.

How do you like the Diatomic Humus? Got some free sample that im using this run and like it so far. I use the liquid stuff too.

B

Buddy Hemphill

i still say if you can breathe in your room, then there is enough oxygen.

How do you like the Diatomic Humus? Got some free sample that im using this run and like it so far. I use the liquid stuff too.

its badass....they only have 4 products. Helluva tea.

Top Bottom