Oxygen depletion in a sealed room

• Thread starter Buddy Hemphill
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Burners have always been an issue in small sealed rooms,dont seem to affect large ones as much,nothing new or groundbreaking about that as you can see by the three year old post you bumped.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

people are using more sealed rooms than before... generally very little discussion because it (ethylene/ sulf.) doesn't show up with people using tanks, just NG burners.

le
Ethylene in a room is a LOT different than there not being enough oxygen, which was my whole point. I ran sealed rooms for a few years and burned propane and never saw any issues. Maybe its a NG thing.

Again...if there was insufficient oxygen in the room...you would pass out in it. Your co2 burner would NOT fire.

I'm not against a bit of fresh air exchange in a sealed room.....I'm just saying call it what it is. Oxygen depletion is NOT the problem.

B

billymirage

What is happening at an increasing rate?

Plants all of a sudden STOPPED photosynthesis??? They stopped converting CO2 into O2?
Symptoms of slowed growth, yellowing, leaf curl...at all phases... possibly symptomatic of ethylene, by product from NG burners in O2 deficient rooms... suspected to affect the stomata

B

billymirage

Ethylene in a room is a LOT different than there not being enough oxygen, which was my whole point. I ran sealed rooms for a few years and burned propane and never saw any issues. Maybe its a NG thing.

Again...if there was insufficient oxygen in the room...you would pass out in it. Your co2 burner would NOT fire.

I'm not against a bit of fresh air exchange in a sealed room.....I'm just saying call it what it is. Oxygen depletion is NOT the problem.
just trying to add to the original dialogue thats all as I had the same problem. If you read back you can see that that there can be enough oxygen in the room to run a burner but not enough for plant health... just adding to the discussion as a couple of friends... one a long time manufacturer of burners and another a successful grower on every size level as well as a very knowledgeable shop owner... We were discussing this as something that is coming up more and more. The solution seems to be bringing in more O 2 and flushing the room or switching to tanks... I dont claim to have the answer and Im not stuck on labels... call it whatever... just discussing and being open... which is the purpose of forums for the most part... Ive been growing off and on since 1974 and always learning thanks to places like this.

Last edited:
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

just trying to add to the original dialogue thats all as I had the same problem. If you read back you can see that that there can be enough oxygen in the room to run a burner but not enough for plant health... just adding to the discussion as a couple of friends... one a long time manufacturer of burners and another a successful grower on every size level as well as a very knowledgeable shop owner... We were discussing this as something that is coming up more and more. The solution seems to be bringing in more O 2 and flushing the room or switching to tanks... I dont claim to have the answer and Im not stuck on labels... call it whatever... just discussing and being open... which is the purpose of forums for the most part... Ive been growing off and on since 1974 and always learning thanks to places like this.
I just don't agree with the Oxygen depletion part of the statements. As per simple botany plants breathe in co2 and breathe out o2. The problem is the overabundance of ethylene....not a deprivation of oxygen. I also agree that air exchange helps.

Currently I am NOT running sealed rooms. I moved to a cooler climate and do passive intake now. While my yields have gone down slightly, my quality has increased tremendously.....and I'm not paying as much to keep my rooms cool as before when I ran sealed rooms.

R

rayuki

figured i'd chime in since i found this thread doing a google search of my issues.

heres the difference in flame quality between when i had a good amount of oxygen in my room, vs it being sealed for 24hrs and not enough oxygen for complete combustion.

i feel like the issue is not enough oxygen for combustion, more then not enough oxygen for plants. so when you get bad combustion you get other nasties like etyhlene and sulphur which just compounds the issue.

took me a while to figure this out since i was checking my flames whenever the thing would turn on (my room is only 10x10 so its fairly small really so thats another issue) from the buildup on my burners this must have been going on for awhile. i was only able to check on my room about once a day so with it being sealed up for so long the burner was just eating up the oxygen for combustion to the point it was getting like the 2nd video which has a huge amount of yellow flame. i actually felt dizzy and a bit sick after taking the video.

not even sure if im going to continue using the burner since i can't really vent fresh air into my room, was one of the whole reasons i went sealed as i dont have easy access to bring in fresh air without taking out a wall.

but yeah it was causing massive issues with my plants,
https://i.invalid.com/RCSS9DV.jpg

https://i.invalid.com/HfuPoXk.jpg

about 3 solid weeks i guess this has been going on before i figured it out thanks to threads like this so even if the information about oxygen depletion in relation the plants in not accurate its still super helpful. after doing the research
"For proper combustion, LPG requires an air to gas ratio of approximately 25:1 "

so in i guess what you would call "small" rooms like mine of 10x10 these burners are simply too damn big and there is not enough air after a while causing these issues. so yeah i can see why dumping in fresh air every few hours could help, but its due to the burner needing it not the plants.

anyway, sorry for the necro bump

H

heisen

Wanted to add to this thread since it comes up in a Google search.
I built a new sealed building and the flower room is completely sealed.it will hold co2 ppm for hrs without going down.
Anyway I ran my clones like I always and noticed immediately some fucked up issues.
Leaves drooping real bad dark purple stems,leaf colors were yellowish not green.
I have never had this problem.im in dwc and on bottled co2.
Well I tried to nail down every possible cause and could not figure out wtf was going on.started to think I forgot how to grow like wtf am.i slipping?

So after a bunch of research and thinking I'm having some kind of off gas issue.my plants really looked like the roots were oxygen deprived but im running the same exact amount of air I always run.
So I decided to add dampers and intake and exhaust to exchange the air every 3 hrs for 6 minutes.
Within 12 hrs plants were 100 percent better.after a day they have exploded.
Anyone who thinks you donr need to exchange air in a sealed room already has small air leaks they just dont know it.im convinced this was an issue

After a day of air exchanges they are perked up and looking 100 times better.
They looked so fucked up 3 days ago I was ashamed to take a pic
20180426 002622

Top Bottom