Oxygenating A Reservoir

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Last grow I replaced my air pump/stones with a flooming pump on a timer; 4/15 and plants look great

But I only flood every 2 hours in early veg and 4-6 hours during bloom

So, Im wondering if oxygenating in between flood cycles is even necessary

Anybody KNOW whether flooming just prior to or during flood cycle is all that's needed?

Does the rez benefit from oxygenating in between f

G

G.MoneySJ

Last grow I replaced my air pump/stones with a flooming pump on a timer; 4/15 and plants look great

Anybody KNOW whether flooming just prior to or during flood cycle is all that's needed?

SHORT ANSWER YES

Long answer a res will benefit if you are a lazy farmer. It should be recommended if you have an alge problem. In my experience I have just left the stone pump on in my res when I was out of town and my lazy ass brother was house sitting for me. I knew it was too much to ask for him to completely change the res during my trip so I kept it simple drew a line on the side and said if It gets below her fill it to the dot I placed above it to indicate full and just to check the ph.
also when you keep the alge down you reduce the amount of nutrience that the alge will uptake and rob from your plants
Still it isn't going to produce any noticeable results in your yield weight or quality but I still do it for the plants overall health.

IF you want to do figure out something that will really matter learn up on your microbes I have the best outdoor grows around and as ridiculous as I feel typing it no one believes my fruit is out door microbs microbs and medium is where the money is lots of it.
20160827 172525
20160902 115141

20160902 115141
20160902 114933
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Your OUTDOOR plants look great, but I am doing HYDRO indoors

G

G.MoneySJ

Your OUTDOOR plants look great, but I am doing HYDRO indoors
I am aware that you are doing hydro I also have hydro going and I was referring to the hydro when speaking about my res none the less
microbes in hydro is just as important if not more
I hate to see you waist effort on something that has less potential to impact your final product. I am sure anyone who knows and uses microbes would tell you that it will have a far greater end result then you oxygenating the water.

In giving advice I my intention is to limit your liability and loss while helping others increase quality and quantity with the least amount of effort and cost. Time is money and I was trying to help you spend yours wisely. I truly believe in what I wrote in that you will be much better off learning and using microbes and it will pay dividends and res aeration will pale in comparison. CHECK IT OUT MAN you wont be sorry

J

J Henry

Before we get all wound up about DO matters and the facts, do any of you have any idea exactly how much dissolved oxygen is really necessary in order to prevent low oxygen insults for canna rhizomes and beneficial microbes in hydroponic life support systems?

By the way, testing water quality DO with a water thermometer is as effective as testing water pH with a light meter or testing EC with a sound/noise meter. DO charts never consider the amount of DO consumed by the biomass in the water if there is any aerobes in the water at all.

I have read many, many stoned theories posted by forum gurus and salesmen about DWC canna oxygenation. A few claim that oxygenation is a major deal, many others claim with passion oxygenation is no big deal at all.

Breathe through a straw for 3 minutes or put your head in a plastic bag for 3 minutes or breathe pure nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for 3 minutes and you will gain a crystal clear understanding of how big a deal oxygenation really is for all humans, aerobic plants and microbes. The greater, larger the total biomass, the more elemental O2 the total biomass must have to remain healthy and produce sufficient ATP (cellular energy).

It is my understanding that aerobic cells are totally unconcerned with Nitrogen, but a specific concentration (PPM DO) and DO% Saturation range of essential elemental oxygen is required continuously 24/7 month after month in order to keep growing rhizomes and microbial colonies healthy, happy and thriving. You know, like enough oxygen to keeping a flame burning.

Here’s a trivia fact worth consideration - a candle flame requires an oxygen level of greater than 18.8% oxygen to remain alight. Ambient air contains less than 21% O2.

Aerobes in a hydroponic pot grow are the cannabis roots balls and beneficial microbial colonies collectively. Fungi do not, will not, cannot thrive in oxygen rich hydroponic environments. Fungi are ubiquitous and do live in hydroponic water environments.

As the roots and microbial colonies grow and thrive, the dual synergistic biomass requires even more elemental oxygen continuously for months. By the way, although ambient air does contain a little bit of 21% O2, 4/5ths of that air is Nitrogen gas and Mother Nature always controls the available oxygen concentration in air. Oxygen and ambient air are not the same gas, ask any SCUBA diver, commercial diver, welder, nurse, doctor, auto mechanic, plumber, fighter pilot or check out any basic 9th grade Chemistry book to confirm that fact.

When aerobes are deprived of elemental O2 the cells suffocate, fail to produce sufficient ATP, get sick, die, decay and rot and then the fungi thrive eating the decaying mess like turkey buzzards gather around road kill.

Hydroponic systems are basically total life support systems for all aerobes being supported within this artificial eco system. The grower has the total responsibility for all the water quality parameters except the dissolved oxygen. Mother Nature controls that when ambient air is the source gas for oxygenation.

When low oxygen crisis happens in hydroponic grows. Roots get sick, die and decay and then the fungi colonize and thrive… you have surely heard about this routine.

Well, any low oxygenation problem is always caused by the grower’s failure or ignorance to insure sufficient continuous safe oxygenation 24/7 throughout the months of growing season. Well that’s pretty simple, eh?

By the way, do any you have any idea actually how much elemental DO is required continuously 24/7/months to insure that no low oxygen crisis occurs in a hydroponic life support system?

If you do know or prefer guessing… then what is the optimal DO concentration and DO saturation range required to keep the rhizome mass and microbial colonies healthy throughout months of the growing cycle from the clone to the harvest?

Most growers never encounter or even worry about root rot or fungal infestations because these growers never have low oxygen problems.

Elemental Oxygen (O2) is THE #1 essential element required for aerobic survival, period. This magic gas is a BIG DEAL.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I am aware that you are doing hydro I also have hydro going and I was referring to the hydro when speaking about my res none the less
microbes in hydro is just as important if not more
I hate to see you waist effort on something that has less potential to impact your final product. I am sure anyone who knows and uses microbes would tell you that it will have a far greater end result then you oxygenating the water.

In giving advice I my intention is to limit your liability and loss while helping others increase quality and quantity with the least amount of effort and cost. Time is money and I was trying to help you spend yours wisely. I truly believe in what I wrote in that you will be much better off learning and using microbes and it will pay dividends and res aeration will pale in comparison. CHECK IT OUT MAN you wont be sorry

Thanks, I missed your reply as I unsubscribed to this thread.

Well, I tried NPK Raw veg and bloom microbes. I had nasty looking roots, but decent harvest (but there were other pilot errors, including a pH pen that slowly died). Harley from NPK told me to use Enzymes and Aminos instead. That's what I did this grow. As to DO, I was using a separate venturi pump on a timer 4 minutes on/30 minutes off. Then it dawned on me that I only need to oxygenate just prior and during each flood. Ditto blue ice paks to cool the rez

Hope you drop by my thread Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

G gnome

G gnome

Lets see some pix!

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Pics at my thread HailHydro 2.0: New Beginnings

I grow for personal use, so no trees

Top Bottom