Oxygenation And Agitation

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

I've got air stone cylinders, small air stones, air curtains and I think I just realized I wasted all that money.

I had only one air curtain in my reservoir but wanted another. I realized I was short another oxygenator so I used some poor man's ingenuity or as the kids say, a life hack.

I just used the air line straight in the res but put a stopper in the end and made holes every 1/8th inch for a foot. Unless I'm missing something I don't understand why everyone doesn't just do this or do they? The amount of bubbles are tremendous and much more agitation which means better oxygenation, correct?

eebwen

eebwen

I've got air stone cylinders, small air stones, air curtains and I think I just realized I wasted all that money.

I had only one air curtain in my reservoir but wanted another. I realized I was short another oxygenator so I used some poor man's ingenuity or as the kids say, a life hack.

I just used the air line straight in the res but put a stopper in the end and made holes every 1/8th inch for a foot. Unless I'm missing something I don't understand why everyone doesn't just do this or do they? The amount of bubbles are tremendous and much more agitation which means better oxygenation, correct?
Smaller bubbles = more oxygen

M

Moses249

So u r saying u have an air line hooked to an air pump and u cap the air line and put holes in it? And air bubbles come out of every hole ? Where did u get the cap?

S

Shawnery

I just happen to have a little plug from something else just laying around. As for everything else, yes that's exactly what I have done. I used a scaple to cut little holes every few mm.

It would work even better if you could find a fat needle and just poke it through both sides at once. Takes some time but if your on a budget why not?

You could also juat use a stainless steel screw to plug it or who knows what. That's honestly the hardest part everything else is just friggen teadeous.

S

Shawnery

Ok. So I got caught up yesterday and didn't get to tucking and there's no room. To many plants to close together. I've got some many branches with side branches that everything is a mess. I've only got about a quarter of it done and I'm confused.
How many main branches of the stem is a good number to build from, is there such a thing. I went from sparse and to much room to overloaded and to little space. Only between the 6 plants because on the other edge it's fine.

I was wondering if I should trim a few of the off shots from branches if there's to many or just tuck them as good as I can?

S

Shawnery

I hate tucking my beautifully overgrown canopy. In 1hr it goes from luscious green canopy of love to a sad looking excuse of a pot plant.

S

Shawnery

Need some advice or some reassurance or a screw off your fucked whichever one and I deserve.

Tomorrow my power is being turned off at about 8 in the morning for 6 to 8 hours. Do you think my plants will make it just on their own sitting in stagnant water for 8 hours or is there something I can do by hand every once in awhile to help him out let me know people getting kind of concerned!

S

Swampjack

Need some advice or some reassurance or a screw off your fucked whichever one and I deserve.

Tomorrow my power is being turned off at about 8 in the morning for 6 to 8 hours. Do you think my plants will make it just on their own sitting in stagnant water for 8 hours or is there something I can do by hand every once in awhile to help him out let me know people getting kind of concerned!
Wally world has a cheap battery powered air pump for live bait. Should help for a day or so.

J

J Henry

I've got air stone cylinders, small air stones, air curtains and I think I just realized I wasted all that money. The amount of bubbles are tremendous and much more agitation which means better oxygenation, correct?

Oxygen (O2) is absolutely the most vital elemental nutrient needed continuously by all aerobic people, plants and microbes.

To eliminate confusion, elemental oxygen (O2) is not air. Air is 4/5 elemental nitrogen gas. Air does contain a small amount of elemental O2 (1/5 by volume). More air doesn't insure enough dissolved oxygen. Air is often very limited on it oxygenation capability - see Henrys Law. Sometimes air just doesn't contain enough O2 to do sustain life regardless of how much air the air pump blows, agitates or even millions of those microscopic air bubbles bubbling in the DWC res water. That happens when the aerobic oxygen demand exceeds the DO availability provided by the grower and everything suffocates, then the roots die and rot.

Providing and insuring minimal safe continuous oxygenation (DO Concentration/DO Saturation) in any hydroponic life support system is absolutely vital for optimal health and survival of aerobic cannabis roots and aerobic beneficial microbes. When a DWC/RDWC grower fails to provide a steady supply of O2 of sufficient concentration the results are predictable. Low oxygen events and root suffocation happens very quickly and you know the rest of this story.

So, specifically, what DO Concentration and DO Saturation does “better oxygenation” actually mean to you?

What is “Better oxygenation” compared to what is really optimal safe DO Concentration and DO Saturation?

Top Bottom