Ozone In Bloom?

• Thread starter getgoodgenes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

getgoodgenes

been vacuuming gently for weeks thought the mites were gone. 4 days into bloom they're back. I've been hesitant to use ozone because i don't know much about it. WILL OZONE CAUSE PLANTS TO HERM IF USED AT A LEVEL TO GET RID OF MITES?!?!!!!?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have used PIC mosquito coils, like you get for camping and stuff, and burning them with the fan off and letting the smoke get them. It contains pyrethrin's and will kill them off and degrade quickly. I've never used ozone for getting rid of pests since it can be pretty rough on plants. Don't overdo it or your buds will taste like you were camping!

G

getgoodgenes

does that really work to get rid of them? i've been told sulfur sprays and sulfur candles are about all of my options at this point. never heard of mosquito coils and am a little skeptical.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
does that really work to get rid of them? i've been told sulfur sprays and sulfur candles are about all of my options at this point. never heard of mosquito coils and am a little skeptical.

Check the ingredients to the coils if you can find them...hardware stores usually have them. The stuff you are looking for is called Pyrethrin. It is derived from crushed Chrysanthemum flowers and is a natural insecticide. They mix it with sawdust and it burns in a spiral shaped coil for 6 hours, with the smoke being toxic to most bugs that are exposed to it...bugs living in the soil probably won't be affected. It works great for White Flies and anything exposed to the open air. As I mentioned earlier, it has a smoky smell, obviously. Let your buds air out for a few days to avoid getting the smell mixed in with everything, unless you are starting a new strain and going to call it "Bacon". :D

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
You folks slay me. When are you all going to implement a working IPM and eliminate your pest issues thru prevention rather than knee jerk toxic battles due to lax grow room etiquette ???? Prevention is worth pounds of buds fellas. Didn't mean to come off like a dick but after seeing 8 years here of the same old song and dance it gets old. Get yourself a good working IPM and use it, your sanity and plants will thank you for it. :D

Last edited:
WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

You folks slay me. When are you all going to implement a working IPM and eliminate your pest issues thru prevention rather than knee jerk toxic battles due to lax grow room etiquette ???? Prevention is worth pounds of buds fellas. Didn't mean to come off like a dick but after seeing 8 years here of the same old song and dance it gets old. Get yourself a good working IPM and use it your sanity and plants will thank you for it. :D

Do tell Jump! :bookworm:

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Do tell Jump! :bookworm:
I developed the IPM that a professional grower uses here in phx. Once implemented their pest issues (almost) disappeared . I say almost cause your ipm is only as good as your weakest link and that is typically your help/employees, or yourself. But put in place and adhered too will keep your misery and stress levels down a lot. Along with better crops and yields.:D

Indoor growing poses challenges cause we are potheads and we monocrop, meaning growing the same crop over and over. So without the ability to rotate our crops in doors the 1st stage of the battle is a solid ipm!!!

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

I developed the IPM that a professional grower uses here in phx. Once implemented their pest issues (almost) disappeared . I say almost cause your ipm is only as good as your weakest link and that is typically your help/employees, or yourself. But put in place and adhered too will keep your misery and stress levels down a lot. Along with better crops and yields.:D

Indoor growing poses challenges cause we are potheads and we monocrop, meaning growing the same crop over and over. So without the ability to rotate our crops in doors the 1st stage of the battle is a solid ipm!!!

Very cool Jump! Can you share some of your methods or are they more focused on industrial grows?

G

getgoodgenes

care to share?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Very cool Jump! Can you share some of your methods or are they more focused on industrial grows?
IPMs can be tailored and used in both small and large grows. However the challenges increase with larger ops. More scouting of plants and remedial work if critters are found. Smaller ops are easier to maintain and prevent infestations.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Grow room husbandry is the 1st step to a good ipm. No cuttings,stems dead leaves or loose soil laying around. Pests love decaying plant matter as well. Keep it clean and tight!!!!

I will over the next few days dig up my template and post it up if some of you fellas want to have a base to build on. Ill have to locate the cd and download it to my computer. That may be a task since this move when we bought this house. But I will get it posted for your use.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You folks slay me. When are you all going to implement a working IPM and eliminate your pest issues thru prevention rather than knee jerk toxic battles due to lax grow room etiquette ???? Prevention is worth pounds of buds fellas. Didn't mean to come off like a dick but after seeing 8 years here of the same old song and dance it gets old. Get yourself a good working IPM and use it your sanity and plants will thank you for it. :D

I don't think anyone here planned on getting bugs, but its something that does happen despite the best intentions. A good program is the best option, but it isn't always possible if you don't have the options of modern technology and good setups. Probably for every decent grow setup here, there are 20 minimal operations that new growers are trying to pop the 1 seed that they got in a bud. There are always going to be newbs.
The best I can do is to continue to educate the masses and hope someone will do the same after my timer gets switched to off. Keep up the great work and hang in there...it's a thankless job and folks will always ask a question before searching thru the threads. I for one appreciate your efforts!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
IMO the biggest weak link is the soil many of us use. It is usually the catalyst for introducing bugs. But we can’t really control that as it’s trial and error and issues can pop up at anytime. Even if it’s kept in ideal situations.

G

getgoodgenes

I don't think anyone here planned on getting bugs, but its something that does happen despite the best intentions. A good program is the best option, but it isn't always possible if you don't have the options of modern technology and good setups. Probably for every decent grow setup here, there are 20 minimal operations that new growers are trying to pop the 1 seed that they got in a bud. There are always going to be newbs.
The best I can do is to continue to educate the masses and hope someone will do the same after my timer gets switched to off. Keep up the great work and hang in there...it's a thankless job and folks will always ask a question before searching thru the threads. I for one appreciate your efforts!

well said newbs and experienced gardeners can always learn something from one another. it is a fact that one of the most important things we can do is pass down information to better the plant and improve the game. if you have any advice on the topic at hand i would really appreciate the input.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Wow, thank you man. :D That was the nicest thing someone has said to me all day. Respect!!!!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
IMO the biggest weak link is the soil many of us use. It is usually the catalyst for introducing bugs. But we can’t really control that as it’s trial and error and issues can pop up at anytime. Even if it’s kept in ideal situations.

The biggest source of a bug infestation, at least in the Pa/Ohio/WVa area, is bringing the bugs in when transferring from outside to inside. There aren't too many critters in this area that cause problems other than white flies and sow/potato bugs. The white flies (I don't know their proper name) live on the underside of the plant's leaves and are surprisingly good at staying hidden, coming out when the lights switch on/off and if you shake the plants. They are small and hard to get rid of. When allowed to continue, they cause small weeping areas on the buds, which leak sugar-ish water that carbonized when burned. The result is a sub par appearance and taste with a lot of black ash and lousy burning. I burn PIC mosquito coils to eliminate them after turning off the fans for an hour or two. The sow/potato bugs look like a small gray armadillo type of bug, that curls up into a small round pellet when disturbed. They eat the roots off of plants and live in the soil. I have used a couple of drops of Malathion mixed with a gallon of water and watering the plants with it. It stinks but is pretty safe and breaks down quickly.
There are a lot of different pests found in different regions. I am fortunate that we don't have much in the way of mold/mildew problems or some of the critters I hear of out west. Winter kills off a lot of the problems and I have "baked" soil in the oven to make sure everything is gone that needs to be gone. Keep this thread going and hopefully we can get a list of bugs/critters, where they are, and how they are dealt with.

Top Bottom