Perlite

• Thread starter spyderaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

spyderaz

I don't understand what you mean...water more slowly. pics of what...plants? medium?

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

the medium
when u add perlite what u are doing is adding something that is going to let water flow though the medium to get to the roots if u have to much perlite when u pour the water it will run right though it and out the bottom of the planter if u have to lil the medium could just clump up like clay and hold all the water

xenon730

xenon730

not sure why you would think id convince myself my medium is jacked with perlite, I simply wondered if it could be an issue
Because i work with new people who do this as a full time job currently and have for years now and people will do things like that very commonly. Its nothing personal, i didn't think you were more new or anything like that, but believe me it's so common among growers to blame random products or ideas instead of the obvious input errors. Sorry that it bothered you or that you felt i judged you, didn't have anything in my mind at the time other than helping.

If you're letting it dry out pretty well it would actually increase root size generally. You can use a ton of perlite but it's about pot size also. Small pots will basically be roots and very little medium at the end. Bigger pots, the opposite obviously. Your pots will be a good mix i feel at 60/40. When i use perlite in 3 gallons by the end i can feed once or twice a day on big trained plants, usually give 300g dry each. Those are fabric pots, in hard pots might not be able to do twice a day without bubbling.

xenon730

xenon730

the water isn't just running straight out, it drips out.
That's a lot of perlite but looks fine to me. Expect to water that more frequently. I prefer to not increase ec but increase watering frequency with nutrients. You'll have to regardless to keep up and faster wet dry cycle = bigger buds. How often are you watering right now?

S

spyderaz

I've always done a dry cycle but lately everyone's been telling me to water everyday till at least 15% run off as Coco doesn't like not like it. Everything is getting far too confusing.

xenon730

xenon730

I've always done a dry cycle but lately everyone's been telling me to water everyday till at least 15% run off as Coco doesn't like not like it. Everything is getting far too confusing.
With peat soilless you wait until the top inch is dry. When you move it it should be light brown on top and dark and moist underneath. Soil is roughly the same but you can let it get dryer. In coco you want to water as soon as the top has any dry coco on top or just before. Letting coco dry out completely is supposed to affect its ability as a medium and screw with its ec and cec. I'm testing letting it dry completely out currently and haven't had anything like that yet but that is why people tell you not to let coco dry out.

S

Socalking

I'm in about 20 gallons or so of 40% perlite and the rest coco, I water 1-2 x a day, coco can be constantly watered as it holds enough air, I am only on week 4, and my buds are getting huge, IMO I overdid the amount of medium for my space(3x4 ft) but the buds are strait stacking and are going to be pretty huge, my roots are nice and fuzzy too, the oldest roots are a little brown because I water so much but people get great results watering every 12 in coco/perlite mixes, it allows for very aggressive feeding. Please don't mind the crappy 5mgpx camera lol

IMG 20170807 142825140
IMG 20170807 142711234 HDR
Top Bottom