Ph Problems - Early Veg (large Post)

• Thread starter jpm418
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jpm418

I'm gonna give a FULL rundown, to leave certain answers you may have questioned, so you have a better insight as to maybe helping me with my problem.

Just completed my first week of veg, on my first grow in a UC4 system. The whole week my Bluelab meter has read the pH at "steadily" 7.0 sometimes teetering between 6.8 - 7.1.

Specs:
4x DHN Purple Kush clones (rockwool)
UC4 (8 Gal) System
3x 2ft T5 Lights (for vegging)
Water Chiller with water temps reading between 66F - 70F
Environment Temps HI 80F Lo 72F
Humidity HI 35% Lo 26% (growing at very dry climate)
Cultured Solutions lineup (UC Roots, Veg A&B, CoCo Cal right now)
RO Water comes out at pH 7.0 ppm (x500) 10
Lights 18/6

Clones we're placed in the system on Oct. 20 @ midnight (Friday). I didn't soak the rockwool in a lower pH water nor were the hydrostones rinsed in a lower pH water. Didn't read about these precautionaries until this week, after the clones were planted and was having the pH problem. The hydrostones were rinsed in the RO water and the clones were planted in the pots. Water level in system set at top of second netting in pots. Clones were well rooted & water was hitting the roots without over saturating the rockwool cube, so I didn't worry about top feeding.

Once planted, I feed the nutrients thru the epicenter at the following,

UC Roots - 80 ml (2ml per Gal)
Veg A - 10 ml (.25ml per Gal)
Veg B - 10 ml
CoCo Cal - 20 ml (.5ml per Gal)

After 12 hrs the Bluelab readings were,

EC 0.1
PPM 50
TDS 70
TEMP 68F
pH 7.2

I freaked when I saw 7.2 so I busted out the pH down. I diluted 1oz. of pH down to 1 gal of my RO water (as recommended by Current Culture). I added 400mL of the diluted pH down to my epicenter. After 5 hrs. the Bluelab readings were,

PPM 60
TDS 80
pH 6.7

I was reading online over the 5 hrs. and on the CC website it stated that there's no need to mess with the pH if it reads between 5.5 - 6.5, so I still wasn't satisfied. So I added another 250mL of the diluted pH down. After a half hour it brought the pH down to 6.3. It only lasted about an hour though. It slowly raised the next 12 hrs, .1, till it settled at the 7.0 with teetering between 6.8 - 7.1 as mentioned above.

At this point I felt I had done too much tinkering with the pH as the plants were growing but the leaves were showing some signs of stress. The new growth looked okay, but some of the leaves were curling, some twisting. Pic of example at this point

Ph problems   early veg large post

(As you can see the top and bottom leaf in the photo are starting to twist, there's discoloration on the new growth and is drooping down.)

The next day I filled my reservoir with 40 gal of RO water and added nutes at double of what I first put in the epicenter, with a little extra UC Roots and a little less CoCo Cal, as following

UC Roots - 125 ml
Veg A - 20 ml
Veg B - 20 ml
CoCo Cal - 30 ml

The Bluelab readings on my reservoir were really encouraging,

EC 0.2
PPM 100
TDS 140
TEMP 65F
pH 5.8!!!

The plants still weren't huge, so I knew they wouldn't take too much water from the reservoir, but I was encouraged by the readings. So I let the system run at the teetering pH in hopes the next 24 hours the plants would have drank some of the water and started to leach off of the reservoir. Pics of plant growth from last photo over the next 48 hrs.

Ph problems   early veg large post 2
Ph problems   early veg large post 3

(Same plant from the photo above, as you can see the curling/twisting is still there but it started to straighten itself out, even with the pH all over the place and the EC/PPM staying almost exactly the same.)

Unfortunately, my reservoir was still pretty much full after the 24 hours so I went to some drastic measures. I shop vacced 8 gals outta the epicenter, to allow some of the pH'ed water from the reservoir to flow in. The readings on the reservoir after the 24 hours were still great, with the only rise being in the water temp. After it took the 8 gal from the reservoir, the Bluelab in the epicenter only went down to 6.8, which it had already been teetering on and it only held it there very shortly before eventually rising to 6.9

So basically at this point my EC/PPM has been staying steady, barely lowering, if any at all, and the pH is all outta whack. I was reading around all this time and found a lot about the more nutes, the lower the pH because of the pH buffers each nute has. Which proved to be true in my reservoir. So I decided to add the nutes again directly to the epicenter. It raised the EC/PPM to proper levels but the pH barely budged. It went down to 6.7, with the same level of nutes added to epicenter, as was added to the reservoir. At this point I was irritated so I took 1000mL of the diluted pH down I still had and added it to the epicenter. Four hours later the pH read at 5.8, so I finally went to bed. When I woke up, 7 hrs. later, the pH had rose to 6.3 and within that hour being up, rose to 6.4 which it still reads now. Which leads me to this post.

The growth from the last photos is significant and the it's still trying to straighten out the curling/twisting leafs. Some of the new growth is showing the curling/twisting though and I'm not sure if this is being caused from any lockout of nutrients because of the high pH. I've read about rising pH and the possibility of root algae being the cause but the roots look nice as do the fishbones growing off the roots (at least I think). Photos within the last hour

(Same plant as photo above)

Ph problems   early veg large post 4

(Leafs that were twisting that are now straightened out)

Ph problems   early veg large post 5

Ph problems   early veg large post 6

(The new growth on same plant starting to curl/twist)
Ph problems   early veg large post 7

(Roots)
Ph problems   early veg large post 8

Any input or advice you may have on everything I've stated would be greatly appreciated, any other questions not answered please post and I'll answer to my best abilities.

Thanks!

Toph420

Toph420

Ok here’s my take on it.. I’m running 5.5” cch2o net pots with growstones and when I loaded my 6 site UC up the ph went crazy as well.. it’s because of the growstones and it looks like your using 8” net pots with a smaller system so I could definitely see the growstones throwing the ph out of whack.. when you use the growstones for a second time the ph is way more stable.

If you have added any ph up I would flush out the system but if you have only added ph down you should be fine just keep adding ph down imo.. from my experience the plants usually take about a week to get used to the System and maybe yours are just a tad behind because of the ph swings, but if you keep adding ph down everyday to get to about 6.0-6.2 then I bet you will be fine.

Might want to think about getting a small cool mist humidifier as 35% RH highs is pretty dang low, they should be sitting at around 65-75 at this stage of growth.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I'm gonna give a FULL rundown, to leave certain answers you may have questioned, so you have a better insight as to maybe helping me with my problem.

Just completed my first week of veg, on my first grow in a UC4 system. The whole week my Bluelab meter has read the pH at "steadily" 7.0 sometimes teetering between 6.8 - 7.1.

Specs:
UC4 (8 Gal) System
Lights 18/6

Clones we're placed in the system on Oct. 20 @ midnight (Friday). I didn't soak the rockwool in a lower pH water nor were the hydrostones rinsed in a lower pH water. Didn't read about these precautionaries until this week, after the clones were planted and was having the pH problem. The hydrostones were rinsed in the RO water and the clones were planted in the pots. Water level in system set at top of second netting in pots. Clones were well rooted & water was hitting the roots without over saturating the rockwool cube, so I didn't worry about top feeding.

Veg B - 10 ml

EC 0.1
PPM 50
TDS 70
TEMP 68F
pH 7.2

I freaked when I saw 7.2 so I busted out the pH down. I diluted 1oz. of pH down to 1 gal of my RO water (as recommended by Current Culture). I added 400mL of the diluted pH down to my epicenter. After 5 hrs. the Bluelab readings were,

PPM 60
TDS 80
pH 6.7

I was reading online over the 5 hrs. and on the CC website it stated that there's no need to mess with the pH if it reads between 5.5 - 6.5, so I still wasn't satisfied. So I added another 250mL of the diluted pH down. After a half hour it brought the pH down to 6.3. It only lasted about an hour though. It slowly raised the next 12 hrs, .1, till it settled at the 7.0 with teetering between 6.8 - 7.1 as mentioned above.

At this point I felt I had done too much tinkering with the pH as the plants were growing but the leaves were showing some signs of stress. The new growth looked okay, but some of the leaves were curling, some twisting. Pic of example at this point

View attachment 753412

(As you can see the top and bottom leaf in the photo are starting to twist, there's discoloration on the new growth and is drooping down.)

The next day I filled my reservoir with 40 gal of RO water and added nutes at double of what I first put in the epicenter, with a little extra UC Roots and a little less CoCo Cal, as following

UC Roots - 125 ml
Veg A - 20 ml
Veg B - 20 ml
CoCo Cal - 30 ml

EC 0.2
PPM 100
TDS 140
TEMP 65F
pH 5.8!!!

The plants still weren't huge, so I knew they wouldn't take too much water from the reservoir, but I was encouraged by the readings. So I let the system run at the teetering pH in hopes the next 24 hours the plants would have drank some of the water and started to leach off of the reservoir. Pics of plant growth from last photo over the next 48 hrs.

View attachment 753418 View attachment 753419

(Same plant from the photo above, as you can see the curling/twisting is still there but it started to straighten itself out, even with the pH all over the place and the EC/PPM staying almost exactly the same.)

Unfortunately, my reservoir was still pretty much full after the 24 hours so I went to some drastic measures. I shop vacced 8 gals outta the epicenter, to allow some of the pH'ed water from the reservoir to flow in. The readings on the reservoir after the 24 hours were still great, with the only rise being in the water temp. After it took the 8 gal from the reservoir, the Bluelab in the epicenter only went down to 6.8, which it had already been teetering on and it only held it there very shortly before eventually rising to 6.9

So basically at this point my EC/PPM has been staying steady, barely lowering, if any at all, and the pH is all outta whack. I was reading around all this time and found a lot about the more nutes, the lower the pH because of the pH buffers each nute has. Which proved to be true in my reservoir. So I decided to add the nutes again directly to the epicenter. It raised the EC/PPM to proper levels but the pH barely budged. It went down to 6.7, with the same level of nutes added to epicenter, as was added to the reservoir. At this point I was irritated so I took 1000mL of the diluted pH down I still had and added it to the epicenter. Four hours later the pH read at 5.8, so I finally went to bed. When I woke up, 7 hrs. later, the pH had rose to 6.3 and within that hour being up, rose to 6.4 which it still reads now. Which leads me to this post.

The growth from the last photos is significant and the it's still trying to straighten out the curling/twisting leafs. Some of the new growth is showing the curling/twisting though and I'm not sure if this is being caused from any lockout of nutrients because of the high pH. I've read about rising pH and the possibility of root algae being the cause but the roots look nice as do the fishbones growing off the roots (at least I think). Photos within the last hour

View attachment 753427

View attachment 753428
View attachment 753430

View attachment 753431

(Roots)
View attachment 753432

Any input or advice you may have on everything I've stated would be greatly appreciated, any other questions not answered please post and I'll answer to my best abilities.

Thanks!
hi brother.
Are you ready to kill yourself yet lol..
It can be very frustrating...
Do you believe in faith?
Do you believe that god called me and pushed me towards this thread, and said,,
help this fellow UC user...
Do you got a year to walk with me and learn?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ok here’s my take on it.. I’m running 5.5” cch2o net pots with growstones and when I loaded my 6 site UC up the ph went crazy as well.. it’s because of the growstones and it looks like your using 8” net pots with a smaller system so I could definitely see the growstones throwing the ph out of whack.. when you use the growstones for a second time the ph is way more stable.

If you have added any ph up I would flush out the system but if you have only added ph down you should be fine just keep adding ph down imo.. from my experience the plants usually take about a week to get used to the System and maybe yours are just a tad behind because of the ph swings, but if you keep adding ph down everyday to get to about 6.0-6.2 then I bet you will be fine.

Might want to think about getting a small cool mist humidifier as 35% RH highs is pretty dang low, they should be sitting at around 65-75 at this stage of growth.
lol and I didnt think anybody was gonna help him..
Your a good brother toph420!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Specs:
UC4 (8 Gal) System
Lights 18/6

Veg B - 10 ml

EC 0.1
PPM 50
TDS 70
TEMP 68F
pH 7.2

PPM 60
TDS 80
pH 6.7

View attachment 753412

UC Roots - 125 ml
Veg A - 20 ml
Veg B - 20 ml
CoCo Cal - 30 ml

EC 0.2
PPM 100
TDS 140
TEMP 65F
pH 5.8!!!

View attachment 753418 View attachment 753419

View attachment 753427

View attachment 753428
View attachment 753430

View attachment 753431

(Roots)
View attachment 753432

Thanks!
Where is your water level?

J

jpm418

You're right, I've got the 8" net pots with a 4 site (5 w/epicenter) - 8 gal system. A lot of what I've been reading is that soaking the rockwool and rinsing the growstones in a pH of 5.0 goes a long way. No pH up so I should be good there, but at what point is it too much pH down? I won't create a lockout of some sorts by adding pH down almost daily?

The 35% is already with a small mist humidifier. I'm growing in cold and dry Montana, it's hard to build and keep humidity up here.

J

jpm418

hi brother.
Are you ready to kill yourself yet lol..
It can be very frustrating...
Do you believe in faith?
Do you believe that god called me and pushed me towards this thread, and said,,
help this fellow UC user...
Do you got a year to walk with me and learn?

If this is killing myself then call me emo lol. Could be stressing over a lot more bullshit in this world, then the stress over these little ones. but I'm in it for the long haul, I've got years to walk and learn!

I've got the water set at their recommended level for rockwool cubes. Filled to the top of the second netting in the pots & the float valve set to that. Not really sure on the measure of gallons that is overall in the system.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

If this is killing myself then call me emo lol. Could be stressing over a lot more bullshit in this world, then the stress over these little ones. but I'm in it for the long haul, I've got years to walk and learn!

I've got the water set at their recommended level for rockwool cubes. Filled to the top of the second netting in the pots & the float valve set to that. Not really sure on the measure of gallons that is overall in the system.
Hey bro.. How we doing? Im on vacation this weekend so i be a lot more help sun moving forward.. Yes at a certain point too much ph down isnt good..
I said the hell with cc nutes and went to something cheaper..
Let me get a pic of your roots. The worst ones as in smallest/shortest..

Toph420

Toph420

You're right, I've got the 8" net pots with a 4 site (5 w/epicenter) - 8 gal system. A lot of what I've been reading is that soaking the rockwool and rinsing the growstones in a pH of 5.0 goes a long way. No pH up so I should be good there, but at what point is it too much pH down? I won't create a lockout of some sorts by adding pH down almost daily?

The 35% is already with a small mist humidifier. I'm growing in cold and dry Montana, it's hard to build and keep humidity up here.

I mean to me the first picture they looked very unhappy but the later more recent pictures they definitely looked a lot better.. sometimes I will over adjust a bit in the beginning down to like 5.2 and it won’t go up so drastically over night (only really need to do this with fresh growstones).. but imo where your at just keep adjusting it to the correct ph and after another 2-5 days your ph should be pretty stable.

Is your room sealed or you get fresh air from outside/inside your house?

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

I mean to me the first picture they looked very unhappy but the later more recent pictures they definitely looked a lot better.. sometimes I will over adjust a bit in the beginning down to like 5.2 and it won’t go up so drastically over night (only really need to do this with fresh growstones).. but imo where your at just keep adjusting it to the correct ph and after another 2-5 days your ph should be pretty stable.

Is your room sealed or you get fresh air from outside/inside your house?
usually when the roots bust out of the net pots( i )back off on the water level to 1/2 below the net pots. my belief is there i enough moister in the module to draw the roots.once the roots hit the water 1/2 below the net pots (i) will drop the water to about 2" below the net pots till about weeks 8+9. i then drop the water to about an inch above the air disk in the epicenter .i also believe in using mycostop to prevent any root zone problems threw out.

Top Bottom