Planning A Future Grow Box

• Thread starter sourshoes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sourshoes

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and this is my first post. I've been searching around and seeing all kinds of really awesome stuff. I'm in Canada and prepping for legalization this summer. I'm planning to build a small grow box and conceal it within a set of cabinets in my laundry room (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S79030565/) I still want the grow to be private (no light or smell) I don't need my in-laws or visitors in the know I'm growing pot in the basement. The sound of the fans isn't a huge problem as my air exchanger is in the same room.

Some input I'm looking for;
-how would you set up a space this size (30"x24"x30"),
-what lights would you suggest (I'm thinking an LED light similar to this
-what size exhaust fan would be sufficient.. I'm thinking passive intake with a filter/fan inside the tent. Not opposed to buying a filter but I think building one to fit the space might be more appropriae
-is it possible to do an efficient grow in this space without scrog.. or is this my best best?
-it does get cold in that room during the winter.. do I need to consider a heat source when the lights are off?

Is it possible to do a grow this size and keep it odorless?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

That light isn't the best and that's s hi price for it.

Take a look at rapid led, timberwolf led, horticultural led/lights

A 4 inch fan for exhaust with a passive intake will be fine.

When the plants are in last 20 days, if there is any decent amount of bud, they will smell. It starts to smell 16-22 days into flower, n just builds.

So this is the time the charcoal filter is just key.

You ideal temps are 58 - 85. With a 10-15 degree drop from day to night.

S

sourshoes

thanks that was very helpful ill check out those lights. Is the wattage an issue or just the quality of the light in general?

is there an ideal spot for the filter? trying to house it in the grow box without losing too much space I want everything enclosed.

K

kansabis

Both watts and quality matter but its more about spectrum and coverage/penetration of light. For the filter it can go on floor but that takes up space from plants or could be hung towards top and that might interfere with light space. I'm considering building me a cab also and asking myself the same question,where is the best place for my filter gunna be? Lol

MGG Nubie

MGG Nubie

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and this is my first post. I've been searching around and seeing all kinds of really awesome stuff. I'm in Canada and prepping for legalization this summer. I'm planning to build a small grow box and conceal it within a set of cabinets in my laundry room (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S79030565/) I still want the grow to be private (no light or smell) I don't need my in-laws or visitors in the know I'm growing pot in the basement. The sound of the fans isn't a huge problem as my air exchanger is in the same room.

Some input I'm looking for;
-how would you set up a space this size (30"x24"x30"),
-what lights would you suggest (I'm thinking an LED light similar to this
-what size exhaust fan would be sufficient.. I'm thinking passive intake with a filter/fan inside the tent. Not opposed to buying a filter but I think building one to fit the space might be more appropriae
-is it possible to do an efficient grow in this space without scrog.. or is this my best best?
-it does get cold in that room during the winter.. do I need to consider a heat source when the lights are off?

Is it possible to do a grow this size and keep it odorless?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
I don't get the dimensions. 30x24 and 30 inches high? but I am smoking just a tad. In that kind of area, I'm thinking a 30x30 walled in grow area, a mars 300 and reflection. I'd stuff a 24x24 tent in there. odorless..that can get spendy fast. my plants stink up my house like 9 mother fuckers. growing the good though a couple plants at a time can get aromatic. but you might be amazed when your aunt drops by and says kick with the buds, smelling your grow;)

S

sourshoes

I don't get the dimensions. 30x24 and 30 inches high? but I am smoking just a tad. In that kind of area, I'm thinking a 30x30 walled in grow area, a mars 300 and reflection. I'd stuff a 24x24 tent in there. odorless..that can get spendy fast. my plants stink up my house like 9 mother fuckers. growing the good though a couple plants at a time can get aromatic. but you might be amazed when your aunt drops by and says kick with the buds, smelling your grow;)

it's a kitchen cabinet.. well one component of one. it's 2'deep, 2.5'wide and 2.5'high.

I have no doubt that it'll stink like he'll that's why I'm prepping in advance

brazel

brazel

What style do you want to grow in?
That should be the first question you ask yourself.

S

sourshoes

I'm going to try scrog. I'm an avid gardener and I don't mind putting time into the plants. I'm thinking a couple plants to leave from for my light, filter and fan. I know it's a tight space but I think it's doable.

brazel

brazel

I'm going to try scrog. I'm an avid gardener and I don't mind putting time into the plants. I'm thinking a couple plants to leave from for my light, filter and fan. I know it's a tight space but I think it's doable.
sort I mean what style like living organic soil, hydro, dwc... etc
Scrog ftw

S

sourshoes

first thought is to do soil... but I haven't really looking into hydro much Theres some really nice DIY setups but I'm not sure that's the direction I want to go

brazel

brazel

first thought is to do soil... but I haven't really looking into hydro much Theres some really nice DIY setups but I'm not sure that's the direction I want to go
I grow in living organic soil. Meaning I build my soil with amendments then use water only throughout the grow. Not flushing, no ph, no run off, no tds, no ec. I do top dress.

Figuring out what style will help you design
Your grow room, then look at the environment of where you wanna put it. That will help you design

S

sourshoes

I have tons of home made compost and leaf mould so I'm already on track for organic soil. how big of a container are you growing in to not fertilize?

Would this be possible in a 2 gallon pot? I also thought about growing 2 plants in a rectangular container.

MGG Nubie

MGG Nubie

it's a kitchen cabinet.. well one component of one. it's 2'deep, 2.5'wide and 2.5'high.

I have no doubt that it'll stink like he'll that's why I'm prepping in advance
You don't have much room to play with on top. Use a tote or some thing more square and wide bodied. Don't think round, think filling in the bottom of your cabinet with soil volume. I grew a very nice 13" plant. It gave me over 3oz in jars. Paint the inside flat bright white. Ventilation is critical of course. CFL her with a few 6500 for about 3 weeks then put a couple 300w cheapo LED over her. You have to top and encourage side branch growth to keep her from the light. But I light stress my plants makes tighter nugs. Stress her as needed to keep the branches low and even. 4 to five months bam. Then comes the trimming. I hate trimming, but it's part of the grow.

K

kansabis

You don't have much room to play with on top. Use a tote or some thing more square and wide bodied. Don't think round, think filling in the bottom of your cabinet with soil volume. I grew a very nice 13" plant. It gave me over 3oz in jars. Paint the inside flat bright white. Ventilation is critical of course. CFL her with a few 6500 for about 3 weeks then put a couple 300w cheapo LED over her. You have to top and encourage side branch growth to keep her from the light. But I light stress my plants makes tighter nugs. Stress her as needed to keep the branches low and even. 4 to five months bam. Then comes the trimming. I hate trimming, but it's part of the grow. View attachment 759521
Very solid advice,and yes trimming is by far my least favorite part of the whole cycle.

S

sourshoes

A tote is a great idea.

Is 4-5 months a typical turnaround for a small plant? I thought since it vegged for a short period the overall timeline would be shorter. I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

what are your guys thoughts on a fan pulling air from the top of the interior of the box and then pushing through a carbon filter under the cabinet? there's space under the kick plate and I could run venting down a corner and out the bottom. would that restrict to much air flow? I want to have everything away away from sight.

K

kansabis

A tote is a great idea.

Is 4-5 months a typical turnaround for a small plant? I thought since it vegged for a short period the overall timeline would be shorter. I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

what are your guys thoughts on a fan pulling air from the top of the interior of the box and then pushing through a carbon filter under the cabinet? there's space under the kick plate and I could run venting down a corner and out the bottom. would that restrict to much air flow? I want to have everything away away from sight.
Ideally you would bring air from bottom and vent air thru top or top side with a fan and filter but however works best for you. I veg 4-6 wks max and flower 8-9wks so that's 12-15wks total or around 3-4 months,you could really maybe run 12/12 from start and that would help with time and height/space some.

K

kansabis

With 12/12 fron start it will still take time for plant to grow and mature before it will flower and some don't like this method cuz of smaller plants-smaller yields but in your space it could work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom