Plants Flowering Under 18/6 Light Cycle?

• Thread starter gringomike
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

Let's see them pictures again. I mean couldn't you have tried to make it look somewhat realistic? This guys got a pot farm lmao

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

I'm done arguing with you kid. I'm gonna go work on my grammar, or better yet I'll steal it off the internet. Lol

NGA

NGA

Anytime you grow from seed anything can happen I mean anything,I have many years of growing & helped many ,I've have never seen a known female clone do anything other than bud when light is reduced,seen a lot of crops stressed to death heat ,nute,light ,I have never seen a hermie in person only pics ,I've been around hundreds of crops in my day ,that's experience ,no such thing as facts

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I thought it was common knowledge that heavy stress or light interruptions can cause a plant to hermie in veg or bloom.
I'm not going to argue with people that don't know the basics. But I do love this theory of stressing your plant in veg under 18 hours light get you full bloom, that's a great one. It's not like he's got a mutated bud randomly on the plant his shit looks like it's a week or 2 bloom and cooking from heat.
But we aren't talking about hermies, what I said was stress will cause hermies, what I haven't ever experienced when stress testing strains is for the plant to initiate flower, unless the photoperiod was lowered......

Only times I see a plant begin to flower is intentional reduction of photoperiod. A plant will show its sex if you veg it long enough....... That's why I was stuck on a mix up and the dude had some auto's

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
We were talking about stress in veg causing a plant to herm in flower. I was assuming that the stress was being addressed before flowering was induced.

I know that stress in veg can make plants flower under veg cycle or even 24/0, especially when rootbound.

And yes, it's a natural phenomena that plant goes bruce when stressed in flower or the existence is under question, to keep the next generation alive.
and honestly hermies/nanners aren't always due to stress, a lot of strains carry the gene that allows that to happen, noting thai based genetics that have been used to create hybrids and poly hybrids.

Homesteader

Homesteader

and honestly hermies/nanners aren't always due to stress, a lot of strains carry the gene that allows that to happen, noting thai based genetics that have been used to create hybrids and poly hybrids.

I can't remember if I read anything about this or not but with Thai strains, I wonder if the female to male ratio on seeds is higher. I was only privy to five or six seeds when I grew it and all were female. I guess it is possible I bought Fem seeds unknowingly but it would make sense that males would be more rare if hermi trait is there? mystery to me.

MisterSkunk

MisterSkunk

SO nobody in here has pointed out that if the original breeders used a bag seed or an unknown down the line somewhere, the gene pool can toss out irregularities such as unstable auto flowering phenos. U just never know. On top of that removing light even at 6hrs prior to bloom cycle it will change the hormone production of auxins and flowering is possible. With photo plants, absence of light changes the hormone cycles and production even if its just a few hrs. The 18/6 vs 12/12 has been debated for decades. But more often than not I see this with a 18/6 or any light cycle with the absence of light during the cycle.

gringomike

gringomike

They definitely are autos, sucks because we wanted clones. No response from seller but wasnt expecting much. I look forward to trying out some seeds from here :)

SinCity

SinCity

This is when we should all gently remind each other that people have been studying plants for a long time, especially cultivation of flowering/fruiting plants 'cuz you know, that's how most of the world gets food. Vast amount of research--vast. Plants main evolutionary priority is to reproduce, so if it thinks it is dying, it will flower. Stress-induced flowering is of particular interest to scientists because it can ruin food crops. Whole books written about it. If we were to take a Plant Physiology course, we would learn that plants have two 'clocks' that operate separately: temperature and light. Flowering will be set off by one of the clocks if the other clock is not set off because of abnormal conditions. Think of flowering trees--they don't bud at exactly the same date every year. Stress is a third 'clock'--if the plant is dying, it will divert all its energy to flowering. Reproduction now!

Reactions: Ina
kenny28

kenny28

Not all the time..the plant can just stress to male or female... A hermie is a plant that starts a sex then show the other too... Hermaphrodite.... Like bruce jenner
Hahahaha that tickled me

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Bit of an oldie... But becoming rootbound will cause a plant to start flowering under any photoperiod. When it gets rootbound the the plant stops growing roots and starts producing the same hormo.es that are produced in the dark cycle.

I know because it just happened to me lol.
Checked on my blueberry babies this morning, they are due for a potting up, but 3 of them had nearly fully developed Male pollen sacs under 18/6. And they are healthy AF, no signs of stress besides being a bit rootbound.
I'm going to repot the rest today and hope for the best, with a sharp eye on them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom