Plants Per Light

• Thread starter EatPizza
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

Hey all,
Haven't posted in quite some time. I'm looking to switch my ebb-n-flow set up to 5 gallon smart pots. I have 6 lights at 1000w. Would one plant per light yield pretty good, or should i go 2-3 plants per light? Also, would starting from seed be more ideal than clones?

Thanks all!
Are you changing to smart pots cause you haven't used them before? This grow is my 1st time using them. They are easier to handle than buckets, but I did have to water seems like almost twice as often as buckets. I'm curious to see what the root balls will look compared to buckets. I no longer transplant. I start the seeds in the containers they will finish in. The plants seem to love the smart pots.
:cool:

Nugg

Nugg

Sorry I got tired of reading them all maybe someone said it already....it's all light coverage and size of plants...1k.light 6×6 coverage.. roughly..to me that's 4 plants max.but others can cram 12 in same area...

Dbear180

Dbear180

Yep. I'd have to bring my car to you for painting. Do body work too? I can work on them mechanically, do my own brakes, small stuff. I worked on cars for 1 year right after service, and before being hired at that plant. You realize, that we have nearly hijacked EatPizza's thread here Lol. My apologies to you also EatPizza.:):cool:

Nah, when I got in the industry all bodymen told me, "dont do this, it's a dying skill, jobs are becoming all remove & replace instead of repair, it's not worth it anymore, become a writer or a painter they make better money". I listened. I love to paint. I'm in a giant oven all day & I deal with some nasty stuff, but I make good money & I stay relatively clean lol.
I'm mechanically inclined. I do most of my maintenance & repairs. Couldn't afford to have anyone fix my stuff for a long time lol.

It's cool pizza is prob out there slanging za like no other lol. In all fairness we did answer his question.

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

Nah, when I got in the industry all bodymen told me, "dont do this, it's a dying skill, jobs are becoming all remove & replace instead of repair, it's not worth it anymore, become a writer or a painter they make better money". I listened. I love to paint. I'm in a giant oven all day & I deal with some nasty stuff, but I make good money & I stay relatively clean lol.
I'm mechanically inclined. I do most of my maintenance & repairs. Couldn't afford to have anyone fix my stuff for a long time lol.

It's cool pizza is prob out there slanging za like no other lol. In all fairness we did answer his question.
Shoot, repair aplenty. There is tons of money in the aftermarket. There are some good body shops here and repair garages. The shop I worked in, say a timing belt job on a given car paid, by the book, 3 hours, and you could do the job in less time, that's how commission added up in there. I could do all 4 disc brakes on a Volvo in about 15 minutes, and I think it paid 1 hour. My first full time job was construction, and we installed and maintained service stations. One summer, me and another feller got the job of refinishing the old bulk plant fuel trucks, that used to bring gas to homes and small places. I got in on a lot of the priming, but I never got to paint. It's an art on cars in my opinion. My cuz, his son is a welder, belongs to a union, works on big jobs like in Wyoming, North Dakota, all over, and he pulls down about 110 bucks an hour. He owns his own rig, pulls a camper, gets per diem so he's gone about 9 months out of the year. I can weld, but I wouldn't be happy living like that.

Hey man, today, I had a taste of this stuff I took at the end of week 6. It's gonna have a kick to it. The strain I been using for 3 years now has about zero sativa, and this definitely has more. Still 80 or more indica, but I can tell it's gonna be strong. The terps are smelling Good! hehehehe

:cool::cool::cool:

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker

The Gorilla Grow Tents, come with 4, one foot extension poles and skirt that gets zipped to the walls then the roof section gets zippered to that extension. Yeah, but if you have the available height, you can certainly add four or more extension poles and add another extra extension skirt/s.

Learning to pinch, squeeze and bend branches and or the main top shoots is fun, and easy. Trellising is a great way to train unruly growth.

RedHotPoker

Look into the gorilla tents they have an extension I believe makes them 8 ft. The prob tho is those sativas loooove to stretch lol. Do you do a lot of training with them to try & keep them short?

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

I'm hoping for a bit more, time will tell. These buds are very dense. The cure will be a bit slow as the humidity is running 69% in the house. Hopefully by the time I harvest it will be a little dryer. I prefer to cure as close to 50% as possible. But yeah, 15-17. One plant is still growing new hairs and swelling, so it will be last.
:cool:
Final dry yield weight, 19.5 oz's, a bumper crop for a 33 day veg. from embryonic leaves. This strain is very couchlock. Body buzz is strong, and decent head stone. But, not much Sativa effect in it, nothing cerebral or giggley.

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

The Gorilla Grow Tents, come with 4, one foot extension poles and skirt that gets zipped to the walls then the roof section gets zippered to that extension. Yeah, but if you have the available height, you can certainly add four or more extension poles and add another extra extension skirt/s.

Learning to pinch, squeeze and bend branches and or the main top shoots is fun, and easy. Trellising is a great way to train unruly growth.

RedHotPoker
I cannot go any higher. I'm getting ready to grow 2 strains that are new for me. One is now widespread, OG Kush. The other is fairly new, " Malawi x Panama", and these hybrids will take after the African Malawi structure, and require training. Supposed to be one of the most potent Sativa's ever created. I just need to get my old soil out of the tent, new soil is here. And, get it going. I been growing nearly pure Indica so long, about forgot what a Sativa's high is like. :cool:

P

Pass2TheLeft

Hey all,
Haven't posted in quite some time. I'm looking to switch my ebb-n-flow set up to 5 gallon smart pots. I have 6 lights at 1000w. Would one plant per light yield pretty good, or should i go 2-3 plants per light? Also, would starting from seed be more ideal than clones?

Thanks all!
Hi bro i grow 1 plant per 1000w light.
I started doing this because its illegal to grow where i live more than 10 plants ment jail most likely and under 10 ment a small fine lol.
I average 1 gram per watt sometimes more sometimes less but always close.
I use 50 litre pots and lst train my plants from clones.
It takes 4 weeks to veg a plant 4x4 by 50cm high and then 65 to 70 days in flower.
I find having less plants easy i use run to waste and have the collection trays seperate so i can monitor each plants run off.
Big plants = big buds and i like big nugs lol

P

Pass2TheLeft

The other method i use to grow 1 plant per 1000w light is to take a budded cutting and veg it.
This way you can grow a dense bush with mega flowering points and keep the plant more compact if you take cuttings at week 3 to 4 of flowering by the time your grows ready your cuttings will have turned back to veg and ready to go back into grow room to be vegged to a suitable size before you flip them again

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker

Wow, that African strain sounds great. OG is tasty... I wish I could take the longer flowering period, for some of the most awesome Sativa’s that have ever been developed.
It would be incredibly rewarding to grow some Thai’stick buds or perhaps a pure Hawaiian like Kona Gold or even thee famous, Maui Wowee. ;-)
I Hope that you will post some pics of your green beauties.

RedHotPoker

I cannot go any higher. I'm getting ready to grow 2 strains that are new for me. One is now widespread, OG Kush. The other is fairly new, " Malawi x Panama", and these hybrids will take after the African Malawi structure, and require training. Supposed to be one of the most potent Sativa's ever created. I just need to get my old soil out of the tent, new soil is here. And, get it going. I been growing nearly pure Indica so long, about forgot what a Sativa's high is like. :cool:

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

Wow, that African strain sounds great. OG is tasty... I wish I could take the longer flowering period, for some of the most awesome Sativa’s that have ever been developed.
It would be incredibly rewarding to grow some Thai’stick buds or perhaps a pure Hawaiian like Kona Gold or even thee famous, Maui Wowee. ;-)
I Hope that you will post some pics of your green beauties.

RedHotPoker
Have you ever grown Northern Lights? I have but it's been years. If so, do you remember which had the stronger stone, NL or OG Kush? I have beans for both, want to grow the stronger plant..... :cool:

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

One light 315 watt cmh, one plant from seed, scrog screen over a waterfarm...
I started with 1000w hps lots of plants in dirt., dropped to 600w hps and coco/perlite for a few years.. Now i'm i love with waterfarming [modified of course] and 315cmh..
I've gotta say my SS 315 cmh is now my goldielocks light... Not to big, not too small, fits me just right. The 32"x32" footprint is 7sq. feet.. 2 oz for each sq. foot of screen.. The screens in these pics were 24" x30". There was a lot of overlapping the screen by the buds..
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/deep-water-culture.93398/page-3#post-2082531

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker

Speaking personally, I’d go with Northern Lights, but I’m from Alberta. Hahaha
I love the large colas and desirous scent, of a lady. ;-)
Definitely a producer, awesome smoking, certainly very tasty, for sure. Memories.... mnnn
Ultimately, growing two or several strains, together at once, as companion plants, is always nice though. Wicked grin

RedHotPoker

Have you ever grown Northern Lights? I have but it's been years. If so, do you remember which had the stronger stone, NL or OG Kush? I have beans for both, want to grow the stronger plant..... :cool:

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

Speaking personally, I’d go with Northern Lights, but I’m from Alberta. Hahaha
I love the large colas and desirous scent, of a lady. ;-)
Definitely a producer, awesome smoking, certainly very tasty, for sure. Memories.... mnnn
Ultimately, growing two or several strains, together at once, as companion plants, is always nice though. Wicked grin

RedHotPoker
I thought there was a reason I have such a fond memory of NL. If I remember the ladies grew quite tall. I do wish I could obtain and grow Columbian Gold from the 70's. LOL :cool:

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker

Today, I can walk into a local Jupiter head shop/store and after perusing their seed catalog, purchase a lot of variations of popular weed seeds...
The choices sometimes seem nearly endless. With names that often refer to popular fictional characters or celebrity personalities, who also enjoy the herb.
Yes, there are some old strain names in there too, but I had to wonder, how old the seeds are, or if they are even still viable, and will sprout once they’re properly moistened and placed in the CD jewel case for vertical germination...
I don’t recall tall NL finishers, but perhaps we are switching our light cycle earlier than you have, in the past with yours...
With your future NL clones, once they are well rooted, only give them 14 days of 18/6 light cycle just to get them started in vegetating mode . Then switch them back to 12/12. Yoo will get huge colas that aren’t very tall. Couple of feet or three...

RedHotPoker

I thought there was a reason I have such a fond memory of NL. If I remember the ladies grew quite tall. I do wish I could obtain and grow Columbian Gold from the 70's. LOL :cool:

P

Pass2TheLeft

I have fond memorys of NL easy to grow fast to flower large buds but if you go old school dont forget about afghani for the couch lock effect lol

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

Today, I can walk into a local Jupiter head shop/store and after perusing their seed catalog, purchase a lot of variations of popular weed seeds...
The choices sometimes seem nearly endless. With names that often refer to popular fictional characters or celebrity personalities, who also enjoy the herb.
Yes, there are some old strain names in there too, but I had to wonder, how old the seeds are, or if they are even still viable, and will sprout once they’re properly moistened and placed in the CD jewel case for vertical germination...
I don’t recall tall NL finishers, but perhaps we are switching our light cycle earlier than you have, in the past with yours...
With your future NL clones, once they are well rooted, only give them 14 days of 18/6 light cycle just to get them started in vegetating mode . Then switch them back to 12/12. Yoo will get huge colas that aren’t very tall. Couple of feet or three...

RedHotPoker
I do envy you for what is happening in your country. I'm in a state where, if I was to get caught above "x" number of plants, the penalty goes way up. My archaic state likely won't legalize until it is decriminalized nationwide.

Well, there are modern Columbian strains available, I just haven't found one yet that looks like I can control indoors. The African/Panama strain will be challenging.

I was just reading about NL characteristics indoors. Your right it shouldn't get too tall. The OG supposed to be harder to grow, but the stone looks interesting. However, what I was reading never mentioned the length of the buzz. I'm always looking at that. I know NL is a good 3.5 to 4 hour buzz.

I'm longing for a strain that produces both a hard hitting head stone, as well as a powerful prolonged body buzz. I only got 3 beans of that African dominant strain. I got 3 of Skunk #1, which I have also never grown. I traveled to Denver in 2014, and one of the strains I tried was Sk #1, but I wasn't impressed. I realized later, it was the growers fault it didn't impress me, LOL
Oh, I remember which strain got so tall on me back about the time I grew NL, it was Super Skunk. I do have beans for that, they are regular and were freebies.
Decisions..... I have new bags arriving Monday. The other beans I currently have are other Indica's similiar to what I recently harvested.

Last edited:
RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

I have fond memorys of NL easy to grow fast to flower large buds but if you go old school dont forget about afghani for the couch lock effect lol
Man, this "Hash Bomb" strain I just grew must be loaded with Afghani. It is the most psychical stuff, glues me to the couch. So, yeah, wanting something different.

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

RedHotPoker
I forgot to mention how I grow, cause of number limits. I just grow the whole plant from seed. I start them in the same container (usually 5 gal) they will flower in. No transplanting. I then veg them for 3 to 4 weeks, depending on strain and rate of growth. I "sucker" the plant, removing the branches that only produce smaller buds. Sometimes I just let them be. But, about 5th week of flowering, I defoliate enough so that most all buds forming can get light, and airflow is increased. I generally harvest with cloudy trichomes and 90% of the hairs change colors. Last time I grew 8 plants, all had a huge cola, plus the other buds really added up. Limited to 4'x4'x7', I had 19.5 oz dried.

Top Bottom