Plants To Far From Lights?

• Thread starter Gamechanga12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gamechanga12

Hey everyone,

I got a room with 9ft high ceilings. I have the open wing hoods drilled all the way to the top. My plants grew to about 5 ft in flower. My question is does it effect the plants when the lights are so high? I noticed a much smaller yield on the same strains I have grown before. Also, buds arent as dense. So, my question is if the lights are 3-5 ft higher then the plants does that change anything?

dan1989

dan1989

Hey everyone,

I got a room with 9ft high ceilings. I have the open wing hoods drilled all the way to the top. My plants grew to about 5 ft in flower. My question is does it effect the plants when the lights are so high? I noticed a much smaller yield on the same strains I have grown before. Also, buds arent as dense. So, my question is if the lights are 3-5 ft higher then the plants does that change anything?

Of course! Most indoor lights don't penetrate further than a few feet. That's why you usually want to remove all lower growth, because the lights just can't reach deep enough to have any useful effect. Assuming you're using HPS lighting, 5ft away your plants are probably getting barely enough light to the tops. Go closer!

G

Gamechanga12

Of course! Most indoor lights don't penetrate further than a few feet. That's why you usually want to remove all lower growth, because the lights just can't reach deep enough to have any useful effect. Assuming you're using HPS lighting, 5ft away your plants are probably getting barely enough light to the tops. Go closer!

Thank you I am using HPS. How about if I was using the gavita fixtures though would I have to bring the fixtures down also?

dan1989

dan1989

Thank you I am using HPS. How about if I was using the gavita fixtures though would I have to bring the fixtures down also?

Wouldn't think it would matter...isn't a gavita just a HPS with built in ballast? Never seen one. You should check out the forums, I'm no expert on this, just sharing what I know. I'd hate to give you bad info. I do know that 5ft is too far for flower though, 100%

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

if you already have the lights mounted in permant postion,just put your totes or pot on something to get them closer to light,like a table,,outdoors you will find that the scenerio your try to mimic works ,because from the stretch you are going to have from the sun far away,that theses spacing fill in with bud,true that,but outdoors we also have about 2 to 3 months veg time before the sun and light start to diminish if you dig,that when the buds rock on,i would love a 9ft ceiling,i love growing sativa ,long to harvest date but get huge,so just get a table get them closer to light,,when you veg out next grow do same thing,and take pot lower as you need,,like building blocks,,im figuring you want some monsters in there and planned for that,,good luck hope it helps

BioStimz

BioStimz

Just as a reference.... at 2500 BTUs [heat output], the average recommended distance is usually between 18-24 inches or so from the tops. The average HPS system runs at around 3400 BTUs, so you might need to play around to find the right distance.

~

R

Rocky388

Hey everyone,

My 1000 wt LEDs recommend 1 meeter above the plants during veg and .8/10s of a meter during bloom...Been doing this for 3 yrs and having good rusults...I'll never be satisfied with how slow they bloom...LOL...Patients is the answer during bloom...Rocky388.

Latest posts

Top Bottom