Pollen Chucking Experiment #1

• Thread starter crimsonecho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I’m spraying two times a day and the pistils are browning. Maybe from the physical effect of spraying or maybe its gonna throw some balls. I’m not sure at this point. Tho in my second run, i’m gonna put the pollen mother to flower and cs regimen a week or two earlier.

24BE9D83 FC97 4FA9 86C7 62BE3226594A
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Hahahha silly me. I moved them to current veg tent under 18/6. I could have just moved them instead of planing for my second run. They are showing preflowers and some wispy hair formation.
They would have formed buds in a week or so but i want to see pollen sacs before they begin flowering. So one more week under 18/6 will be a better approach i think.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Man i definitely took the right path by putting them into the veg tent. As i get to reading more and more, i now see that it may take up to 8+ weeks to get viable pollen.

Now one week have passed from the start of cs. 7 weeks to go, worst case scenario. The seeds will need 6 weeks, again worst case scenario. The seed mothers will go about 9 weeks. So they need to pollinated by the 3rd week of flowering. This means i need about 4 more weeks to get the pollen mother into the state i want so this schedule can work.

So gals are gonna be in the veg tent for at least 3 more weeks. There is a little bit of wiggle room in the schedule. :)

So this will also mean i’ll have to transplant before putting them into flowering. I can prune the roots but i want to keep them as relaxed as possible, so 2 litre pots it’ll be. So more seeds probably. What a tragedy. Hahaha.

Anyway, i’m still spraying the pollen mother twice daily. The worst thing is, since it takes much moisture from the cs, the pot doesn’t dry properly and i’m afraid of root issues. Its a small plant so not much water uptake anyway. I poked a couple of holes into the medium and dropped the lights a bit closer to generate some more heat.

There is no white hairs or any other indication of normal female flowers. Only brown preflowers and browned clusters on the tippy tops. There is not much budding either tho its still a bit early to expect proper flower clusters. I’m gonna drop my spraying to once daily from now on. I don’t want to stress it too much or kill it. But with all this spraying i gotta say she stays strong. Now its nighttime for her but will take pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Its not completely happy but it manages. No pistils i can see. Only brown ones.

The research i did and the diaries i read on the subject suggests that at this point, even if i stopped the cs i would get some pollen sacks in a couple of weeks. But i don’t want any calyxes on this, only sacks.

4518D128 64AE 4761 B8B2 E7A2A54DE577

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Its throwing pistils again. The spraying is once a day. Its not growing at all. Now i don’t need much pollen i know but i expected a little growth at least. Is there a way to combat the effects of cs? I don’t know.

If it gets too beaten up i may choose another, bigger plant and use it as a pollen mother. Well, we’ll see in a week or so. But really tho, if you guys know a way to counter the effects of cs i’d be glad if you share.

Thinking about using kelp and amino acid spray to give it a little boost. Plus the shitty part is it literally stopped drinking. The others get dry daily, but the pollen mother hasn’t dried since i started this experiment. Which is pretty eerie.

B1B036F1 B129 4B7D B3E4 F93C3A81198B

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Wow that has takin a beating. I hope it pulls through for you.

Thanks for the good wishes. Its no biggie actually i got a better suited, better developed pollen mother candidate at the moment and a lot of cs. But if this pulls thru i would be happier of course :D just would be a time saver.

Maybe my cs is too strong. Could be. Its 50 or 75 ppm.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ok did a kelp and amino spray with a tiny bit of fulvic acid. I’m sure it’ll make it worse but it wasn’t looking very good anyway, hahaha.

Its throwing lots of white hairs by the way and i’m not seeing sacks yet but its just the 10th day of the experiment so i’m still hopeful.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Have you given STS a try? Many breeders who reverse plants prefer it over CS.

Yeah it takes some effort to mix it plus sodium thiosulfate and silver nitrate is not very available to me.

Tho if i had it, it would be much easier with a single application maybe two.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Now i see its been 16 days since i started this experiment and i also see that the hairs are browning as i spray them and then it keeps throwing new pistils. Its ok i would spray as much as needed if the plant was looking good. Alas, it looks very unhappy.

Now, i’m not giving up on my experiment but just gonna add 1 more blueberry #3 as my pollen mother. The original plant, i will not spray anymore and just gonna let it recover.

All my research on the subject shows that i should get full sacs on the first one too but i don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket. So its day 1 for new pollen mother and it got its first spray.

ECAD8FCF 624E 4D1B 8322 9458DE4D0838
98140F53 3855 4955 A550 C0CA989917FD

Last edited:
Erick31876

Erick31876

Sorry this is new to me and I'm interested in it. I have a few things in mind after I'm finished this run. I have a black domina, a pineapple Express , and a sativa called gobstopper that I'm interested in doing a few things with. The sativa has amazing growth, side branching and smell. And would like to self pollinate it and then cross a few of the beans with black domina and pineapple Express which are both frosty, smell amazing and have huge rock hard buds.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
How long does it take from the first spray with CS until you notice it change. Or start seeing balls

I havent seen any balls yet. But the browning happens after 2-3 sprays for me but this plant got seriously stunted and havent set any flower clusters. So i’m waiting for the second plant to say anything on the subject.

Supposedly it is around 21 days for it to show balls in most cases but again strain dependant. Some claim that they had to spray for 40-50 days before it showed balls. You can also do cs on some buds and leave some untouched and get viable pollen. I just designed it this way because i have 5 clones of blueberry #3 and i only need 1. Can’t bring myself to cull them.

Another advice i stumbled upon is just spraying the bottom buds and leaving the tops untouched will not stunt the growth tips and plant will be healthier overall because tops will be growing pushing new leaves etc. I don’t do it and i don’t really know why :)

Its too bad that this gal, couldn’t finish the experiment, i hope it regains its vigour to some extent so that maybe i can get a handful of S1s out of it still. To be honest it seemed so stunted i was afraid it was never going to set proper flowers or provide viable pollen after this much stress.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Pollen mothers seem ok. The old one is throwing some new leafs and white pistils. I gave a little mist of cs yesterday so i didn’t stop experimenting on it.

The new mother looks just awesome. It was revegging already so its in between phases still.

AAFC150B 5502 4DFE B364 FA73D0FBC71A
17A3DBA8 566D 4526 BAA8 D9885E7D26D1

This is a seed mother, they’re all super healthy and vigorous and since my mini tent is truly mini, i gave them a good trim. Took about half from the tops. They’ll go into flower, hopefully, in the next 2 to 4 weeks depending on the pollen mothers.

889E89C7 886C 4741 B553 5CB32FA1D5DE

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
CS is tough especially when the plant is not very vigorous to begin with. Which was the case with that little one. Don’t know how the new mother will look after a week or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom