Polyploidy question.

• Thread starter ProGroWannabe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

ProGroWannabe

Hey fellers, I have a plant in my garden that is exibiting an odd growth pattern. At each node, there are four leaf stems coming out from the main stem. They aren't in perfect alignment, but they are all there within 1/4" of each other.

My question is, can one tell whether a plant is a polyploid by it's external appearance, or is true determination only possible by examining and counting the chromosomes under a microscope?

T

Tolpan

I can't give you any answer on that, but I had a pheno from Mississippi Mud, about a year ago, that showed the same! She was more a slow grower and I let her go! I didn't flower her, cause I had no room. Would have been interesting!

Greets

Tolpan

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah Tolpan, this one is stretching slow as hell too. Nice internode spacing though, that's for sure. I'll try to get some shots of her tomorrow. I've been falling a bit behind on pics lately. Getting busy around here.

F

frenchfarmer

this kind of phyllotaxie was often present on males plant, and can show a lot of freak expressions.
it can be a keeper for a futur breeding project too.

P

ProGroWannabe

Thanks frenchfarmer! I really appreciate ya takin the time to post on this topic.

I'm keeping a watchful eye on this one. It was a slow vegger and is the last plant to show sex, so it is still a bit undetermined as to whether it will be male or female. We'l see soon.

leadplant

leadplant

Hey PGW,

I saw something similar once, I had one with three stems per node. It grew itself out of it over time and then took on the usual phyllotaxy. It sounds cool cuz you could get more budsites if it stays like that. I've heard about triploids and tetraploids and how colchicine is sometimes used to induce it. Supposedly tetraploids have really big leaves and overall "giant" attributes. I cant recall any instances in my readings where that really was accomplished. It kinda has that dope urban legend feel to it. Have a DNA test done on it.

P

ProGroWannabe

Hey leadplant! How are ya?

Have a DNA test done on it.

I wish I had the cash for that, but it sounds expensive.

leadplant

leadplant

doing good bro,
yeah dna tests would be the shizzle.
alot of debates like who really has the OG kush
could be settled if we could do dna tests.
maybe theyll get affordable in a few years.

P

ProGroWannabe

Now that you said that, I wonder what it would take? Obviously a hidiously-expensive microscope.....but what else besides the scope? We wouldn't be worried about keeping anything sterile, so all that equipment wouldn't be necessary.........hmm(thinking).....?

F

Finalopagus

.... It grew itself out of it over time and then took on the usual phyllotaxy.

...I've heard about triploids and tetraploids and how colchicine is sometimes used to induce it. Supposedly tetraploids have really big leaves and overall "giant" attributes.

... Have a DNA test done on it.

How many nodes pro?

I had a slow going plant that only the first node had three branches, after sexing (male) grew huge fucking fan leaves. I think "colchicine" and other shit is to be blamed for these mutations, no proof just hot air....

P

ProGroWannabe

She's on her fifth or sixth set now, Final. And yeah, I too wonder about colchicine sometimes. But then again....just how many possible genetic combinations are their? lol gazillions, I'm sure (if that were a word). So who really knows?

leadplant

leadplant

I heard somewhere that the kops are working on making "quick and dirty" dna tests to better track dealer networks.
Maybe its a simplified test that may, for example, just tell you if two samples are the same or not. Way beyond my head.

Australian bastard cannabis is supposed to be a colchicine mutant. It grows like a creeper vine with funky odd shaped leaves, almost looks like its not cannabis.

P

ProGroWannabe

Huhm....that's interesting! I don't guess I've ever seen it.

G

grizz

Ive always heard it called trifolate, I have 2 g13 x diesel that are doing this. in the past I had a gangi kush of raskels that did this all the way through flower. what causes it I don't know but highly doubt its from colchine. most likely just a combination of genes that trigger it.

P

ProGroWannabe

Thanks grizz! Did you notice anything special from those, that could possibly be associated with the trait?

leadplant

leadplant

I googled "whorled phyllotaxy" - looks like quite a few stoners out there that have inquired about this.

P

ProGroWannabe

I googled "whorled phyllotaxy" - looks like quite a few stoners out there that have inquired about this.

Lol...well I'm certainly gonna keep a close eye on this one. I'll get some pics loaded into this thread in a little while.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I've had more then a few with 3 at each node all the way thru flower .

Top Bottom