Possible For Transplanted Clones To Cannibalize Lower Leaves

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

Plants on in the second week of transplant into my RDWC. Clones showed roots after 7 days but just a peek. Next day I cleaned out the system, with h202 and water, and refilled with solution.
Since the day after switching out the solution I've had roughly an inch to an inch and a half every day of stem growth. I've also had a good deal of root growth but not on the same level.
New growth is light green but gets darker as new growth comes in. The bottom larger leaves are dying slowly as new growth comes in. The cycle keeps continuing but as I said the growth over all is fast.
The other strange thing is that the clones are starting to bush out and grow secondary stems as if I topped it. They're really getting quite dense in stem growth even though old leaves are dying off.

After doing some reading I'm wondering if to much growth could be causing this? Not enough root growth to support vegetative growth so it's cannibalizing it's lower leaves to support its growth? This could be spurred on my to much light?

I raised the lights as high as possible today to see if this helps out at all. I've moved them from about 2 feet to about 4 feet. These are very powerful self built Samsung strip LED's. 4 of them in a 10x5x7 with each fixture being equal or stronger than a 500w hps. This has actually been tested side by side with a meter.

Enviroment,
If you're not familiar with Masterblend it's similar to Jack's or sometimes considered better. Stopped spending money on labels and water on and in plastic bottles.
Masterblend 4-18-38 12grams, Calcium Nitrate 12grams; Epsom Salt 6grams 500ppm.
Hydroguard
Four Samsung f564b fixtures.
Eight 5 gallon with res RDWC.
2 inch rockwool in bio-balls.
Water touching bottom of net cup but dropping 2 inches soon.
PH starting at 5.5 let rise to 6.0, rinse repeat but not often. It's been 4 days and ph has only risen by .1.
Temp 75 day 67 night.
Humidity 60% day & night - cool mist humidifier.
Water temp 70 day 65 night.
780cfm exhaust with passive intake.
Fans for moving air and plants.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'm guessing someone will point it out soon enough. Again, the plants are growing super fast I'm just not sure if it's not to fast!

Possible for transplanted clones to cannibalize lower leaves
Possible for transplanted clones to cannibalize lower leaves 2
Possible for transplanted clones to cannibalize lower leaves 3
Possible for transplanted clones to cannibalize lower leaves 4
Possible for transplanted clones to cannibalize lower leaves 5
Possible for transplanted clones to cannibalize lower leaves 6
Last edited:
madgrower

madgrower

Plants on in the second week of transplant into my RDWC. Clones showed roots after 7 days but just a peek. Next day I cleaned out the system, with h202 and water, and refilled with solution.
Since the day after switching out the solution I've had roughly an inch to an inch and a half every day of stem growth. I've also had a good deal of root growth but not on the same level.
New growth is light green but gets darker as new growth comes in. The bottom larger leaves are dying slowly as new growth comes in. The cycle keeps continuing but as I said the growth over all is fast.
The other strange thing is that the clones are starting to bush out and grow secondary stems as if I topped it. They're really getting quite dense in stem growth even though old leaves are dying off.

After doing some reading I'm wondering if to much growth could be causing this? Not enough root growth to support vegetative growth so it's cannibalizing it's lower leaves to support its growth? This could be spurred on my to much light?

I raised the lights as high as possible today to see if this helps out at all. I've moved them from about 2 feet to about 4 feet. These are very powerful self built Samsung strip LED's. 4 of them in a 10x5x7 with each fixture being equal or stronger than a 500w hps. This has actually been tested side by side with a meter.

Enviroment,
If you're not familiar with Masterblend it's similar to Jack's or sometimes considered better. Stopped spending money on labels and water on and in plastic bottles.
Hydroguard
PH starting at 5.5 let rise to 6.0, rinse repeat but not often. It's been 4 days and ph has only risen by .1.
Temp 75 day 67 night.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'm guessing someone will point it out soon enough. Again, the plants are growing super fast I'm just not sure if it's not to fast!
Looks like a nute burn to me
Don't want your lights so high the plants will stretch even more

S

Shawnery

My response to stretching is, they're doing the opposite of stretching now. They're growing like fire but with very close nodes. Stretching would have lots of space between nodes.

Like I said, they're growing like they've been topped instead of just growing up. As for the nutes being to high I assume it's possible. The only thing that makes me doubt it's nutes and more due to lights, the ppm's have begun to drop. Everything I've read says if solution ppm drops then your ppm's are to low. Is that incorrect?

madgrower

madgrower

My response to stretching is, they're doing the opposite of stretching now. They're growing like fire but with very close nodes. Stretching would have lots of space between nodes.

Like I said, they're growing like they've been topped instead of just growing up. As for the nutes being to high I assume it's possible. The only thing that makes me doubt it's nutes and more due to lights, the ppm's have begun to drop. Everything I've read says if solution ppm drops then your ppm's are to low. Is that incorrect?
I have had them look like that and they stunted the whole growth cycle the real yellow ones will probably be no good

S

Shawnery

I'm confused how they will stunt when theyre growing like wildfire? Or do you mean the size of the vegetative growth?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter

Enviroment,
Hydroguard
Temp 75 day 67 night.

Dont worry about bottom so much..itll kick those but if your tops turn like that then you have problems

S

Shawnery

Only thing wrong with the top growth is it's a but on the light sure of green but I've read this can be a natural reaction to fast growth.

Secondly, still wondering why they're growing like they've been topped.

madgrower

madgrower

Only thing wrong with the top growth is it's a but on the light sure of green but I've read this can be a natural reaction to fast growth.

Secondly, still wondering why they're growing like they've been topped.
Where did the clones come from .one leaf looks like mites

S

Shawnery

Not mites, I've checked them closely, it's a deficiency of some sort.

Top Bottom