Powdery Mildew Started-Do I Harvest?

• Thread starter jigglybones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MissBotany

MissBotany

Green houses/plant nurseries (NOT cannabis) will raise their temperatures up to about 100degress for 6 hours to kill powdery mildew. PM cannot survive in temps under 45 degrees and higher than 95 degrees. The higher the temp the shorter the duration. I DON’t recommend doing this, just food for thought. However if you did try, I’m not sure how badly this would stress a Cannabis plant. I am pretty new to growing cannabis and it’s not my area of expertise.

Brother Will

Brother Will

Yeah I Doubt I'd Try It Either... Take Mexico And Other Areas That Grow Below The Equator, @ The Equator And Just Above The Equator... Trust Me, It Can Get Hotter Than 100 Degrees F. In Those Areas And Those Plants Aren't Bothered A Bit. But Thank You, Nice Piece Of Info To Look Into ! Peace, Brother Will

PickleRick

PickleRick

PickleRick---> As a Mycologist may I ask you what is the lifespan of spores. This is probably the most important question that I am looking to have answered, as I am planning on shutting down long enough to make sure that all spores have died, and then start up. I have heard 21 days. Which made me think to shut down for 4-6 Weeks.

One Thing To Remember: Molds Will Die Without Water/Humidity & Etc, But Spores Generally Don't Die. They Go Dormant Until They Get Moisture, Heat And Then They Regenerate.

I know that if I tried to clean up I wouldn't be able to get all of them as they are in the trillions probably and stuck in places that I physically wouldn't be able to get into like carpets, cracks in hardwood, grains in the wood, drywall pores. etc. So Shut down and let things die out seems like the best strategy.

Now It Depends Where These Spores Are Amassed. Were Your Plants In A Room/Rooms Or ?
What Materials Are Within The Most Affected Place Of Where The Spores Might Be ? Hard Question To Answer Without More Detail Kind Sir. Here In The PACNW We Have A Horrible Black Mold Problem. Straight Bleach Is The Only Thing We've Found That Keeps It Dormant For Approx A Year. I've Heard Ozone Works/But I'll Have To Get More Into That Information. I've Only Seen Ozone With Hydro, Aero And DWC. Rick... I Don't Think I Answered You As Well As I Could Have-Sorry, Having Health Probs-But Let Me Say This... Wear Good Rubber Gloves. If You Hate Bleach As Much As I... Wear A Good Respirator {Not A Particle Mask} Also Googles Are A Must... Plus Wear Old Clothing You Can Toss And Clean Everything You Can Possibly Get To. Keep Dipping Into You Bucket Of Bleach And Scrub With Old Toothbrushes As Well As Good Clean Rags
Start In One Area-Don't Think About What A Chore It'll Be... Brother, Just Go Step By Step/Area To The Next Area/In Other Words Don't Look Back Over The Whole Area You're Cleaning. Otherwise, It'll Possibly Overwhelm You. It's A Zen Thing. I Hope At Last Some Of This Helped-Be Cool To Have A Hotline To Ask Question Via The Phone. I'll Get Back With You Rick. Peace, Brother Will

The Powdery Mildew that affects cannabis actually has 2 spore types not sure if your familiar and talking specificaly about cannabis fungi or just the general fungi family. So There is the conidia spore which is a 7 day cycle to land on leaf germinate send feeder tube down, build mycelium on leaf surface and build conidia towers and produce spores and release. Then there is the other long term at the end of winter spore which is more black like and is triggered when temperatures get cold and winter is coming, these overwinter and are very hardy and long living. So in indoor environments the second one doesnt generally happen, we are dealing with the battle of the 7 day spore which is looking to re infect right away,

also can you comment on bleach versus peroxide to kill spores?

PickleRick

PickleRick

Green houses/plant nurseries (NOT cannabis) will raise their temperatures up to about 100degress for 6 hours to kill powdery mildew. PM cannot survive in temps under 45 degrees and higher than 95 degrees. The higher the temp the shorter the duration. I DON’t recommend doing this, just food for thought. However if you did try, I’m not sure how badly this would stress a Cannabis plant. I am pretty new to growing cannabis and it’s not my area of expertise.

This is part of my strategy, is to turn on 3K lights on a really hot day, (this is after I shut down the grow and am taking a break in the bloom room) so if its 85F already daytime temp, and i seal the room, and have those 3k lights running I should see 100-110 F easily. Il keep that for a few hours. Now to clarify I dont care to kill the fungi in terms of mycellium. I want to kill the spores that are in the room. Anyways thats part of my strategy.

1. shut down for 1 month to have spores die,
  2. 100+ F in bloom room to kill spores remaining 100%
  3. Clean everything with bleach/hydrogen peroxide
  4. sulfur burn bloom room and veg room every week for that 1 month
  5. in veg room treat moms with eagle 20 every week do a 100% 30 second dunk in a bucket.
  6. All soil will be recycled with EWC during the month in bins so any spores or fungi will be broken down and destroyed eaten by the microbes but also 100% moisture contant is said to kill the fungi, ive read something that said that it inhibits germination, so now im thinking maybe water doesn't kill it just inhibits. Someone else can clarify that.

Brother Will

Brother Will

The Powdery Mildew that affects cannabis actually has 2 spore types not sure if your familiar and talking specificaly about cannabis fungi or just the general fungi family. So There is the conidia spore which is a 7 day cycle to land on leaf germinate send feeder tube down, build mycelium on leaf surface and build conidia towers and produce spores and release. Then there is the other long term at the end of winter spore which is more black like and is triggered when temperatures get cold and winter is coming, these overwinter and are very hardy and long living. So in indoor environments the second one doesnt generally happen, we are dealing with the battle of the 7 day spore which is looking to re infect right away,

also can you comment on bleach versus peroxide to kill spores?

Brother Will

Brother Will

Yes Familiar... You Brought Me Up To Date.
Many Will Say Hydrogen Peroxide. Some Say @ 3% And Up To 35%.
You Must Remember Hydrogen Peroxide Doesn't Kill The Spores, It Kills The Mold Itself.
Now In A Delicate Places Maybe Start Off With Some Diluted 35% With A Sprayer And The Gear I Mentioned.
Wait A Day... Then Hit Everything With Straight Bleach. Yes, I'd Take Some Time Off-Not Sure If 4-6 Weeks Is Too Much/Can You Split The Difference And Let Everything Sit For Say 3 Weeks And Get Started Elsewhere ? One Other Thought---> You Know About The Different Thicknesses Of Plastic Sheeting On The Market Yes ?
I Would Get That Cheap Drop Cloth Thin Plastic And Staple And Tape Over The Entire Room. No Need For The 3 Or 6 ml. Just As Added Protection. Is It Alright To Leave A Link Here ? If Not Please Staff Take It Out. I Don't Want To Break Any Rules. Molds Are Nothing To Play Around With. They Are Mycotoxins. Peace, Brother Will

Last edited:
Brother Will

Brother Will

This is part of my strategy, is to turn on 3K lights on a really hot day, (this is after I shut down the grow and am taking a break in the bloom room) so if its 85F already daytime temp, and i seal the room, and have those 3k lights running I should see 100-110 F easily. Il keep that for a few hours. Now to clarify I dont care to kill the fungi in terms of mycellium. I want to kill the spores that are in the room. Anyways thats part of my strategy.

1. shut down for 1 month to have spores die,
  2. 100+ F in bloom room to kill spores remaining 100%
  3. Clean everything with bleach/hydrogen peroxide
  4. sulfur burn bloom room and veg room every week for that 1 month
  5. in veg room treat moms with eagle 20 every week do a 100% 30 second dunk in a bucket.
  6. All soil will be recycled with EWC during the month in bins so any spores or fungi will be broken down and destroyed eaten by the microbes but also 100% moisture contant is said to kill the fungi, ive read something that said that it inhibits germination, so now im thinking maybe water doesn't kill it just inhibits. Someone else can clarify that.
Well MissBotany Said 6 Hours. {I Suggested 3 Weeks-Cool Then Its A Month Alrighty.}
Of Course You Know Not To Mix Ammonia And Bleach Together-Sorry, But I Just Had To Say That.
I Use Alcohol To Wipe My Lab Down Before And After Every Use/Even Though I Use A Laminar Flow Hood With A H.E.P.A. Filter. I Take Every Precaution And As You Might Know Even In A Lab Setting Many Silent Invaders Are Vying For The Substrate Whether It Be In A Petri Dish, Jars And Bags With A Microfilter Disk For The Jars And Patches For The Bulk Bags. The Cool Thing Is... After Mass Inoculation The Mycelium Is Growing Good The Mycelium Has Already Started To Make Its Own Protectors Such As Antibiotics And The Like.
You're No Doubt Correct About The Microbes/I've A Best Friend Who Grows Indoors And For The 1st Time He Ran Into Probs With Germination. Every Seed Bank He's Be To Has Been Excellent And These Beans Came From At Least Two Seed Banks Maybe 3 And Nothing Germinated. It Does Inhibit Germination.
What Are The Chances He Got Taken From The Same Seed Banks With Like 6-7 Different Strains ?
Well Rick I Sure Hope I Helped. I've Been Under The Weather So I Will Try To Follow What You Do If You Don't Mind. No Worries, You'll Get It Down Buddy... Pace Yourself. Peace, Brother Will

MissBotany

MissBotany

Well MissBotany Said 6 Hours. {I Suggested 3 Weeks-Cool Then Its A Month Alrighty.}
Of Course You Know Not To Mix Ammonia And Bleach Together-Sorry, But I Just Had To Say That.
I Use Alcohol To Wipe My Lab Down Before And After Every Use/Even Though I Use A Laminar Flow Hood With A H.E.P.A. Filter. I Take Every Precaution And As You Might Know Even In A Lab Setting Many Silent Invaders Are Vying For The Substrate Whether It Be In A Petri Dish, Jars And Bags With A Microfilter Disk For The Jars And Patches For The Bulk Bags. The Cool Thing Is... After Mass Inoculation The Mycelium Is Growing Good The Mycelium Has Already Started To Make Its Own Protectors Such As Antibiotics And The Like.
You're No Doubt Correct About The Microbes/I've A Best Friend Who Grows Indoors And For The 1st Time He Ran Into Probs With Germination. Every Seed Bank He's Be To Has Been Excellent And These Beans Came From At Least Two Seed Banks Maybe 3 And Nothing Germinated. It Does Inhibit Germination.
What Are The Chances He Got Taken From The Same Seed Banks With Like 6-7 Different Strains ?
Well Rick I Sure Hope I Helped. I've Been Under The Weather So I Will Try To Follow What You Do If You Don't Mind. No Worries, You'll Get It Down Buddy... Pace Yourself. Peace, Brother Will

6 hours is a minimum at 100degrees when there are plants in a greenhouse and it’s usually done before lights outs/evening time so the plants can recover after. If there are no plants in the room then I’d crank up the heat and keep it continuously hot for as long as possible. The hotter you can get the room (with no plants in it) the better.

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker

“One person, like Cervantes”.
Man, That’s a ridiculous statement from an amateur grower, for sure. Chuckles
He is probably near the top of our tiny spinning worlds, numero uno cannabis educators and experts. Having published nearly a dozen top selling books on cannabis growing.

One guy, who has done so very much, for so many.
His most recent book, The Cannabis Encyclopedia, is quite the detailed and fully illustrated with incredible photography, informative publication.
9781878823397_p0_v1_s600x595.jpg

RedHotPoker

Hydrogen Peroxide is only a control at best. been there done that. I don't want to follow advice from one person like Cervantes, I would like to hear from all growers experiences and then I can look at the bigger picture of what works and doesn't work for a permanent cure for large operations.

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker

@PickleRick,

The Cannabis Encyclopedia is the definitive guide to medical marijuana cultivation and consumption. It explains all the essential techniques to grow indoors, outdoors and in greenhouses. All gardening practices are well-researched and illustrated with easy step-by-step examples and instructions. More than 2,000 beautiful color images illustrate this 588-page book. The large 8.5 x 11-inch format, three-column pages are easy to read and packed with up-to-date information that make this book essential for all cannabis gardeners and patients. Chapters on medical cannabis history, cannabinoid measurement and medical varieties provide a firm background for medical patients and caregivers. The Medicinal Concentrates and Cooking with Medicinal Cannabis chapters feature many different methods to concentrate and consume cannabis. Each stage of plant growth is detailed and graphically explained seed, seedling, vegetative growth, clones and mother plants and flowering. Harvest, drying and curing information aims to preserve cannabinoids. Garden room design, construction and maintenance, greenhouse construction and care, outdoor gardens from backyards and patios to large remote fields are all explained in full detail and many step-by-step examples. Four case studies feature two indoor gardens, one with LED and HP sodium lamps, Jorgés backyard garden and a big garden in Humboldt County, CA. Each aspect of cannabis cultivation is examined in detail with a focus on organic practices preserving the sanctuary, meters, air, light, lamps and electricity, soil, containers, water, nutrients, additives, container culture and hydroponics, diseases and pests and breeding. The comprehensive Nutrient chapter has individual drawings of 14 cannabis plants showing nutrient excess and deficiencies. The Breeding chapter explains methods, plant crosses, back crosses, true breeds, hybrids, etc. and provides step-by-step illustrated instructions on starting your own home breeding program. Learn exactly how to increase yields, increase cannabinoid potency, and make eco-friendly decisions from the expert, Jorge Cervantes. His advice is basic, detailed and reliable.

That one guy, is still Jorge. Haha

RedHotPoker

PickleRick

PickleRick

Ok whats his advice on powdery mildew? All Ive seen from him as a solution is him dunking his harvest into a Peroxide Bath after chop. If thats the best hes got, im good. Yes he was the king of the scene because he put himself in the public spotlight 20 years ago, a lot has changed in the growing scene since then. And Ive never seen him active growing and in the community, since his "legendary" book release.

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker

Which book, his latest one? Yeah, the Cannabis Encyclopedia, he spent a lot of time publishing that one. It will be one of, the go to herb gardening books, for many years to come. Decades perhaps. Huge grin
He travels a lot, doing speaking engagements at cannabis cups, fairs and expos. With owning his own publishing company, he certainly has a full plate.

I was just reading this thoughtful kind mention tonight.
https://www.leafly.com/news/growing/five-weed-growers-who-changed-the-game

He also runs his own blog and “marijuana_growing” forum.
Besides living in Spain part time. Where he can garden to his hearts content, and certainly does, in a very big way.
Which is pretty interesting at times... go figure. haha
You can contact him directly with your questions and comments, if you like. ;-)
I won’t speak for him, any further.

RedHotPoker

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Spray with milk water cure sell to wax pimps.

Lining myself up to be the next Jorge. Less words = better advice these days. Modernize.

PickleRick

PickleRick

I don't sell to pimps. i just want to grow healthy plants. thats what I enjoy. PM makes me sad and not want to grow. Ive since shut down my perpetual. I only have plants in veg, with a combination of sulfur burns, eagle 20, greencure, neem oil, I hope to cure the pm in these plants. I have 50-60 total Phenos of 20 different strains. I hope that shutting down for 2 months, cleaning everything, treating the veg room every week, that I will be able to break the cycle. when I start I will only put the healthiest plants into bloom, and they will be grown true living organic style with weekly ewc/enzyme teas. I will have made the environment as best as possible, with extreme airflow and movement and RH between 35-50, with day and night temps very close to each other. Plants will be spaced out and all areas will receive high light output as I have 1K per 4 by 4 footprint, 20" from the tops, using brand new hortilux super eye bulbs. This will be my best attempt and there is nothing else I could do, and I will shut down growing permanently if this doesn't work - not for life, but with these specific plants and in this house. In a few years I will start again.

Top Bottom