Ppm 2000

• Thread starter 40Below
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
40Below

40Below

Thanks for taking the time to help a guy out. This is third grow. Started with a few plants then 12 now 30. All have been huge learning curves. This time I am trying to watch ppm and runoff ph and all the good stuff.
So I checked the run off after I added a little guano to my 2 week old girls. Well two weeks in veg. Added a little cal mag because one was having a few yellow spot popping up. The run off was 2000 ppm. In a soil grow. PHwas 6.5.
I flushed all 10 of them and got it down to below 500. I hadn't watered my other 20 yet so I pulled out the top 2 inches of soil where I had mixed in the guano. I watered one to test the runoff. 2300! What the heck. My soil is 50%Happy Frog And 50% pro. No ferts in the pro. I left the one that I watered to see how it would react to the high ppm. Do I need to flush all of my girls or let it ride?
Any input will be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss. Thanks.

Leew421

Leew421

I would do less chasing run off and see how they look to tell you. Run off has many variables and honestly you want to do a slurry test for most accurate TDS reading in your soil. Go ahead and check pH that way

40Below

40Below

I would do less chasing run off and see how they look to tell you. Run off has many variables and honestly you want to do a slurry test for most accurate TDS reading in your soil. Go ahead and check pH that way

Thanks. Makes me feel a little better. I will follow up on the slurry test. Do you just take a sample out of the pot and thicken it up with you feed? I haven't heard of this yet. Thanks.

Leew421

Leew421

Do 1 tbsp soil and 4 tbps water and mix really well. If you use RO it makes it easier since it's really low on ppm

40Below

40Below

Do 1 tbsp soil and 4 tbps water and mix really well. If you use RO it makes it easier since it's really low on ppm
Sweet. I use well water. But I let it sit in 50 gallon drums for about a week. So ppm drops to under a 100. I do have an RO system on my to do list though. Thanks for the help! I'll keep you posted.

P

PharmHand

No offense but taking a sample from the area of soil that was top dressed with guano isn't gonna be much help. If you mix guano with water it's gonna read salty. How much guano was added? Maybe you just added too much at once?

40Below

40Below

No offense but taking a sample from the area of soil that was top dressed with guano isn't gonna be much help. If you mix guano with water it's gonna read salty. How much guano was added? Maybe you just added too much at once?
I added about 2-3 tbs. total. 5 gallon pots. I will take the sample a few inches down. Thank you.

P

PharmHand

I'm no expert on organic amendments but I'd wager 2-3 tbs in a 5gal is too much for top dressing. It will definitely have leached downward if it's been watered through- guano is at least partially soluble. If the runoff says 2000 and the top soils reading 2300 it's safe to say the medium is pretty salty throughout- a five gal isn't very big. Nutrients are a balancing act; too much of one makes others unavailable, hence the yellow spots

40Below

40Below

The pics are of my problem children and the over all health of plants. Not sure what happened to the one that is all brown and yellow at the bottom. Had a close call early on. Got too busy with work and they got a little heat stressed and I left them in the solo cups a bit too long. So maybe some root bound issues.
As you can see I have a little nute burn on the tips. I'm thinking it should be okay. I'll skip a feeding or two. I have a cal mag foliar spray I use. I hear I should only use it a little?
Any input on the pics would be great. Like I mentioned this is only my third grow. But about my 1000th our of reading and research. Thanks!

IMG 1725
IMG 1726
IMG 1727
IMG 1728
IMG 1729
IMG 1730
IMG 1731
IMG 1732
Enforcer

Enforcer

Your plants look a little over watered and very heat stressed to me. I know you said they got stuck in the heat for a while. What are your temps at now? How often are you watering?

40Below

40Below

I have the heat stress under control now. Think it was a mix of heat and wind. Light were too close. Also first grow with HPS. The watering has been a little issue. They are holding water for way too long. I use a 50%pro mix. 50% Happy Frog. I only water about once every 2 -3 weeks. I think I finally found the problem. I have been running my humidifier at 65%. Once I quit using that it seems they have started to dry out a lot quicker. Definitely not at 3 day mark like I want. I will use a different soil next grow. The pics are about a week old. So they are about 6-7. Inches taller now.

IMG 1791
IMG 1792
IMG 1793
IMG 1794
IMG 1795
Enforcer

Enforcer

Yeah, they are looking better. I have read that if the humidity is too high, the plant will reverse transpire and move moisture from the leaves to the roots instead of the other way around. That would explain why your medium isn't drying out. The "speed bumps" on the leaves is also indicative of high humidity. Maybe try backing down the humidity until your leaves flatten out. Next time adding about 30% Perlite to your medium will greatly help drainage.

40Below

40Below

Yeah, they are looking better. I have read that if the humidity is too high, the plant will reverse transpire and move moisture from the leaves to the roots instead of the other way around. That would explain why your medium isn't drying out. The "speed bumps" on the leaves is also indicative of high humidity. Maybe try backing down the humidity until your leaves flatten out. Next time adding about 30% Perlite to your medium will greatly help drainage.
I shut my humidifier down. My AC unit does a good job pulling the water out. Definitely will add the perlite on the next grow! Thanks for jumping in and helping me out.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I shut my humidifier down. My AC unit does a good job pulling the water out. Definitely will add the perlite on the next grow! Thanks for jumping in and helping me out.
Anytime bro. I'm sure you'll be helping me out next week lol.

Top Bottom