Praying: Happy Or Stressed?

• Thread starter BobaJob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BobaJob

BobaJob

Hi all
I'm a new grower and I've been reading and it seems I've come across conflicting information. It seems to be the general consensus that when a plant's leaves are reaching Up, the plant it happy and health. However I read an article by a person who said they used to think the same thing but in actual fact it is a sign of stress. In particular light stress.

What's people's opinions of this or better still, experience

Regards

Fangthane

Fangthane

My thought was that praying most likely indicated health and vigor. From an evolutionary standpoint, I have my doubts that the compulsion to move closer to stressors would be a trait seen in many successful organisms. Maybe completely overly simplistic and wrongheaded, but that's the assumption I've been operating under.

BobaJob

BobaJob

My thought was that praying most likely indicated health and vigor. From an evolutionary standpoint, I have my doubts that the compulsion to move closer to stressors would be a trait seen in many successful organisms. Maybe completely overly simplistic and wrongheaded, but that's the assumption I've been operating under.

When you put it like that I have to agree.. it's logical. Anyway I dug up the article.

So now I'm actually happy that my girls' leaves are pointing straight out and not up or down lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It is strain dependent in my experience but it is usually from too much or not enough light intensity. Can be for heat dissipation. And real stressy pointing up leaves is a well known sign of early mag deficiency.

All of these things can look subtly different but be called “praying”.

BobaJob

BobaJob

It is strain dependent in my experience but it is usually from too much or not enough light intensity. Can be for heat dissipation. And real stressy pointing up leaves is a well known sign of early mag deficiency.

Ahh that's good to know. Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about it and realised a plat can effectively reduce the surface area of its leaves buy changing the angle... maybe that's one of the reasons... I did notice that when my light was close the leaves in the centre of the top were pointing bolt upright. Not so much now I've moved it. Another idea I came up with was, when I plant is really dry the leaves droop and when it's watered it they come Up, like the water pressure has been turned up and pumped them up so to speak so I was thinking that maybe the plant it pushing so much water up to keep cool it make the leaves stand Up? Now I've written that out and read it, it sounds stoopid lol

Srenots

Srenots

When you put it like that I have to agree.. it's logical. Anyway I dug up the article.

So now I'm actually happy that my girls' leaves are pointing straight out and not up or down lol
good info ~

BobaJob

BobaJob

So I just had a look about and apparently drinking water (tap water) that is high 8n calcium carbonate/and or very wet substrate can hinder the uptake 9f magnesium... I over watered and my tap water is really hard (high in calcium carbonate). There is also some faint yellowing between the veins on one of my girls.

You've just helped me out there. Thanks

Peace

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So I just had a look about and apparently drinking water (tap water) that is high 8n calcium carbonate/and or very wet substrate can hinder the uptake 9f magnesium... I over watered and my tap water is really hard (high in calcium carbonate). There is also some faint yellowing between the veins on one of my girls.

You've just helped me out there. Thanks

Peace

I use well water and get calcium and iron buildup. I read in the jorje grow book when i started that water up to 250ppm mineral content can be managed with extra runoff. Up to 30%.

I have learned to water half and let the pots soak 10 minutes or so to help make the excess nutrients soluble before pouring the second half through. You can see the difference in the runoff. Much more stuff obviously washes out.

My water is 150 ppm. Perfect for buffering but i need to water to 25% runoff and wait a good dry cycle before watering again or i have problems.

BobaJob

BobaJob

I use well water and get calcium and iron buildup. I read in the jorje grow book when i started that water up to 250ppm

I have learned to water half and let the pots soak 10 minutes or so to help make the excess nutrients soluble before pouring the second half through. You can see the difference in the runoff. Much more stuff obviously washes out.

My water is 150 ppm. Perfect for buffering but i need to water to 25% runoff and wait a good dry cycle before watering again or i have problems.

Ahh.. I was ready to get some Epson Salts but if I can manage it without then even better... I'm thinking feed them when I do a plain water do the high run off as you describe kinda like what you would call a flush ? But a mini one. Anyhow thanks for the tips... appreciate it.

Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom