Problem Making Shatter

• Thread starter bigbubba
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bigbubba

i am using a Passive Closed Loop Extractor. reclaim the butane using hot water 115 °F and ice water. then i scrape the material onto parchment paper. I then place it into a vac chamber at 110 °F. i keep getting the same sticky stuff coming it it looks like syrup coming out. its been in the vac chamber purging for almost 2 weeks. what am i doing wrong? it always comes out looking like this picture.

Problem making shatter
waxman

waxman

LittleDabbie is correct. Your temps are way to high. You should not get over 90 degrees at the valve. Are you using a digital laser temperature gauge? You really have to pay attention to the temp of your extractor during the recovery process. Go lower and slower and monitor your temps. It takes some time to get it down pat. If you have any other questions I will try to help. Good luck!

waxman

waxman

@bigbubba You mentioned a vac chamber. If so, Invest in a digital heat mat for your chamber. They are very accurate once you figure out your temp difference from inside to outside. It is much better than putting the chamber in a hot water bath. Remember.... Temps are critical to producing a quality stable product.. Of course a oven is the best for purging and temp control.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

recovery temp is too high like stated, I also see oil come out like that when the butane is spoiled. Most common contaminant is usually sulphur; there are lots of other things that will spoil your butane though.

B

bigbubba

i didnt know butane could go bad, ive had it for less then 6 months and its been in a closet out of light. as far as the hot water bath thats only in the recovery stage. i do have a digital heat pad. got it from best value vacs where i got all my other parts to my setup.

waxman

waxman

@bigbubba, Yeah, I didn't realize that it can go bad also.. Best Value Vacs is awesome! I purchased all my equipment from them. That digital heat pad is a lot easier to control your temps. Cheers!

WesCyber

WesCyber

I too am running a best value vacs set-up and am getting the same results. I would also love to know what I am doing wrong. I just made the switch over to BHO and would love any advice, my product looks exactly like his.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
If your product looks like that theres generally 1 of 2 reasons, Its really old material/dried out material..

Or your temps are too high like the case above.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
For me personally anything over a month or 2 old wasn't really worth running..The older it got the less yeild i got and the darker it got.

WesCyber

WesCyber

Damn.....that's not what I wanted to hear. All my material is left over from last year's harvest. How long you been making BHO Dabbie??

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I was making it for like 2-3 years before i quit.

Yeah last years harvest is going to come out dark regardless of temps, Its not a bad thing imho.. I think people get a little too caught up in look and texture of products..IF it gets you high is it not good? :D

WesCyber

WesCyber

I agree if it does the trick then its all good, but I'm trying to go commercial with all this. I was just telling HMK in a pm I'm trying to launch a small-batch artisanal brand here in Cali and am in desperate need of a Yoda when it comes to my wax/shatter products. I'm going to take pics of my measly little BestValueVacs set-up and start a thread for advice to my fledgling lil start-up.

waxman

waxman

@WesCyber, Let me know if I can help in any way. I always vacuum seal and freeze anything that i'm not going to run in a month. I have had no issues with color this way. But as LittleDabbie said, old shit comes out darker.. I'll look for the new thread. Cheers and Good luck with the commercialization of your products!

waxman

waxman

I was making it for like 2-3 years before i quit.

Yeah last years harvest is going to come out dark regardless of temps, Its not a bad thing imho.. I think people get a little too caught up in look and texture of products..IF it gets you high is it not good? :D
@LittleDabbie, Yes! People are way to caught up in having a sexy product. It can cause a lot of sleepless nights.. Been there.

LucidExtract

LucidExtract

So I see people recommending 90 degrees, but for how long? I typically run my purge for 24 hours?? any suggestions would be great

Top Bottom