Problem With Germinated Seed

• Thread starter Dalwyn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dalwyn

Dalwyn

Good day growers I am new to this site, I am having a bit of a problem with a seed that had been germinated , I germinated 3 auto flowering seeds (hindu kush, amnesia haze and bubblegum extra) the kush and haze are growing fine the problem is with the bubblegum, once the taproot was out I placed it into soil in a pot , after 3 days I had not seen any growth progress while the haze and kush are growing well , I dug up the seed to notice that the seeds taproot looked soggy and shorter than it originally was when planted into the soil, I doubt that It had dried up, I suspect that it could of been too soaked (however the seed was not planted very deep into the soil) , my question is judging from the picture do you thing that the problem it too much moisture and is there any thing I can do to recover the seed, i did place it back into a piece of toilet paper and gently mist it keeping it moist but not wet, any advice will be highly appreciated
Problem with germinated seed

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Probably too wet. It’s most likely dead now. You can try to let it go for a little while longer but my guess is it’s a goner. Better germ some more. I like to let the taproot get about 1” before planting. It’s possible when handling it you may have damaged the taproot. I like to poke a hole into the soil so the taproot goes in with no resistance and then backfill some soil around the root lightly. You’re just blocking out the light so you don’t want to pack it in.

Dalwyn

Dalwyn

Thank you for the response, will definitely take your advice for the next time I germinate , this was the last seed I had , seeds are not that easily available yet in South Africa, it has been just a few months since cannabis was decriminalized here

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree. Too wet. I like to wet a coffee filter and shake it off then put it in an open sandwich baggie inside a dark place on a heating mat set for 78 degrees farenheight.

I dont re wet for 24 hrs. Misting is not necessary.

Then i plant taprooted seed taproot up about 1 centimeter down. I use an unsharpened pencil to make the hole in an already watered in cup of potting soil.

They usually emerge in a day or two and i dont need to water again for at least 5 days. As the soil dries out the roots grow and search out moisture and nutrients.

I will document the process soon in my thread. I plant a new seed every week or two.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Tap root up? Why would you do that?

I was shown a picture from an old french gardening book that shows how with the root up it has a short path to the surface then turns around and goes right down, flipping the seed up through the soil in the process.

If planted root down it will still go to the surface first then back down making a squiggle of roots with too much slack to properly drag off the shell.

I also like to keep the taproot short when planting.

When i did it the forum tap root down way i had a lot of unshelled seeds emerge.

I have seen one like that in over 200 seeds planted since i started doing it up.

I will search the internet for the pic. But it was scanned from a turn of the century gardening book so i hope i can find it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@JWM2 it isnt the french image mentioned but this pic is the first google image result for “seed planted taproot up”

Ok. The pic file was not supported for some reason.

Here is the google page.

Dalwyn

Dalwyn

I agree. Too wet. I like to wet a coffee filter and shake it off then put it in an open sandwich baggie inside a dark place on a heating mat set for 78 degrees farenheight.

I dont re wet for 24 hrs. Misting is not necessary.

Then i plant taprooted seed taproot up about 1 centimeter down. I use an unsharpened pencil to make the hole in an already watered in cup of potting soil.

They usually emerge in a day or two and i dont need to water again for at least 5 days. As the soil dries out the roots grow and search out moisture and nutrients.

I will document the process soon in my thread. I plant a new seed every week or two.
Looking forward to observing your thread, I'm excited about my amnesia haze and hindu kush , they are going well

Latest posts

Top Bottom