Promix, Composted Manure, And Calmag

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
In my ongoing efforts to evolve from the Triassic period, I began to wonder if I need to add anything to my successful recipe of several decades. Typically I just use Promix with about 25% composted cow manure. Things have been great and I have never had a problem that wasn't of my own making. With the manure, is there any real need to use anything like CalMag? I don't have any meters, potions, just HID/MH/HPS,Promix/manure, and general ferts. I figure the manure will provide just about everything and the fertilizer (both slow and H20 soluble) will supplement the big 3.
Whats the consensus...stay with what has been great since the 70s or try out some of the newer stuff?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i stick with what been working for me,you have to decide,one thing i would do is add more compost,pro mix is just peat moss with a few add on,if you bounce that compost up a bit,you are providing feed,the pro mix be the air,im a strong believer in blood and bone meal cooked in soil of course,but when the plant needs it tell ya and you can top dress any thing else you desire just saying,i use oyster shell meal for calcium,and to bring up the macro nutrients epsome salt,so oyster shell,epsome salt,blood and bone meal grow some good veggies and does same for the herb if you dig,all cheap and local source,now with bone meal keep in mind that lime mixed with bone collide, i use wood ash,it leach from pots quicker,i rotate my totes and beds and adjust ph desired for plants i grow,layer testing really is useless for indoor plants,outside real important,for inside plants i use playground wood chips and crush granite for air,as you can see with my mixing i dont care to water or feed alot,hahahah

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
i stick with what been working for me,you have to decide,one thing i would do is add more compost,pro mix is just peat moss with a few add on,if you bounce that compost up a bit,you are providing feed,the pro mix be the air,im a strong believer in blood and bone meal cooked in soil of course,but when the plant needs it tell ya and you can top dress any thing else you desire just saying,i use oyster shell meal for calcium,and to bring up the macro nutrients epsome salt,so oyster shell,epsome salt,blood and bone meal grow some good veggies and does same for the herb if you dig,all cheap and local source,now with bone meal keep in mind that lime mixed with bone collide, i use wood ash,it leach from pots quicker,i rotate my totes and beds and adjust ph desired for plants i grow,layer testing really is useless for indoor plants,outside real important,for inside plants i use playground wood chips and crush granite for air,as you can see with my mixing i dont care to water or feed alot,hahahah

I've tried a few variables over the years but never really saw much difference with the exception of messing with different types of HID lighting. I use some wood ashes later in flowering but haven't had any indoor issues...outdoors, as you said, is a different beast. The manure really seems to add iron and calcium as far as I can tell, and seems to keep everything from getting out of whack...sort of like Advil for plants.
I went to a grow shop for the 1st time yesterday and was totally dumbstruck by the variety and more importantly, the price, of some of this stuff. You would think they are selling immortality! I guess it's a money grab, like everything else. Its interesting to see how the social cohesion of smokers has changed over the decades. In the 60s/70s, everyone was bound together by smoking and relying on each other to keep from getting taken advantage of by "The Man". Now it seems everyone is trying to get rich overnight. Times have changed, this old fossil hasn't...or at least much! :cool:

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Keep it simple. Successful for 20 years = don't touch it! Cannabis is an easy to grow, foliage plant. You don't need any of that fancy stuff for what you're doing. If it's been working for that long, you're solid! If you wanted to go about learning more i would say to just learn why your mix works so well.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

In my ongoing efforts to evolve from the Triassic period, I began to wonder if I need to add anything to my successful recipe of several decades. Typically I just use Promix with about 25% composted cow manure. Things have been great and I have never had a problem that wasn't of my own making. With the manure, is there any real need to use anything like CalMag? I don't have any meters, potions, just HID/MH/HPS,Promix/manure, and general ferts. I figure the manure will provide just about everything and the fertilizer (both slow and H20 soluble) will supplement the big 3.
Whats the consensus...stay with what has been great since the 70s or try out some of the newer stuff?
I know this is an old thread but I'm actually considering throwing some promix in my manure... just to help keep it fluffy.

growsince79

growsince79

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I know this is an old thread but I'm actually considering throwing some promix in my manure... just to help keep it fluffy.
I know that I sound like I have stock in Promix, but it has worked great for me, especially if mixed with the compost/manure mix. I add a little bit of time release fertilizer into the mix as well, just to provide a small amount of nutrients between major feeding... about every 2 weeks. FWIW, I had a Grandaddy Purple plant that was very sensitive to the higher amount of nutes that I normally use and had issues with excessive P or K.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I know that I sound like I have stock in Promix, but it has worked great for me, especially if mixed with the compost/manure mix. I add a little bit of time release fertilizer into the mix as well, just to provide a small amount of nutrients between major feeding... about every 2 weeks. FWIW, I had a Grandaddy Purple plant that was very sensitive to the higher amount of nutes that I normally use and had issues with excessive P or K.
I always amend my manure. It's not high enough in npk to sustain a whole grow. This yr I mixed in 6 pounds of espoma tomato tone in it...then mixed in a pound of azomite. I top dressed with roots organic uprising bloom and mykos wp.

I love the manure but it could be a little fluffier in my opinion.

Top Bottom