Contact Us
Want to advertise here? Contact us today to begin

Propane Tank Heater?

Discussion in 'Growroom Design & Setup' started by Funkadelic, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Hey Farmpham,

I'm growing in a garage and winter is coming up. We see snow/ice, though I'm not in Michigan (brrrrr).

Lights keep the room hot enough but during dark cycle (daytime hours), temps obviously drop a lot .
    Rather than run electric heaters, was thinking maybe a propane heater since it will run when I'm not in there . I know the extra co2 is better for lights on cycle. So I'm here asking and brainstorming . Advice?

2. I use a propane heater in winter months. Works great. I found one that has a thermostat on it. I love it!!

Buzzer777 and Funkadelic like this.
  3. Awesome! I figured I wasn't too off base. I just don't want to jack up my electricity for winter heating. I have a couple of heaters in there but I would rather use gas as my first line of defense .

What unit do you use? Thanks for the help. Big time .

1diesel1 likes this.
  4. I have been using Colman camp stoves for years, two burners. Cheap and good.

Funkadelic and 1diesel1 like this.
  5. Works so sweet! Used it all last winter!! 81C0D12B-3CC7-4A56-BC02-3E0DF415ABC2.png

Funkadelic likes this.
  6. Be careful man, carbon monoxide is a killer!!

7. Thank you guys. Been looking at these. Hoping to find one with a thermostat ... lights on temps are no problem . I just need to keep that 15°F + swing in check to prevent powdery mildew, etc. Cannabis doesn't like 40 degree weather

1diesel1 likes this.
  8. Jack og

Jack og

Carbon monoxide kills. Do not use those heaters in any enclosed space that is attached to a dwelling. Add a carbon monoxide detector to the room is using and if that sucker beeps , shut it down, air it out.
    I use them in an outdoor greenhouse, the plants love the extra co2.

Funkadelic likes this.
  9. They don't put out Carbon Monoxide, They put out CO2 What is why there Vent Free ?

Buzzer777 and Funkadelic like this.
  10. The Mr Heater units have an O2 sensor ... evidently if the oxygen count gets too low, it's an auto shutoff. My garage is unattached, and I use irrigation so my contact with the flower room (where I need a heater) won't be much.

An older grow I ran had a co2 burner and we got our PPMs really high. I tried not to stay in that room long .

GOOD heads up guys - safety is super important with gas .

I have a buddy who is an HVAC professional and I will have him double check everything too.

I think Mr Heater units require 100lb tanks ... so I will probably hire a propane company to bring it out and do my refills I'm thinking .

LOVE the idea of added co2 as a bonus with lower (electric) heat bills. I have a couple of electric heaters on controllers with thermostats to help fine tune temps but I figure gas can keep it from being 25°F at least ....

Buzzer777 likes this.
  11. From what I remember..if it combusts..there is CO2 produced..but my memory ain't so good anymore..LOL

Funkadelic likes this.