Propane Tank Heater?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

I have been using Colman camp stoves for years, two burners. Cheap and good.
Hun dis u leave thw stove on ......na. Right. Ya na we're good. Shit I hope I turned my "heaters" offfffff.

G gnome

G gnome

Hey Farmpham,

I'm growing in a garage and winter is coming up. We see snow/ice, though I'm not in Michigan (brrrrr).

Lights keep the room hot enough but during dark cycle (daytime hours), temps obviously drop a lot .
Rather than run electric heaters, was thinking maybe a propane heater since it will run when I'm not in there . I know the extra co2 is better for lights on cycle. So I'm here asking and brainstorming . Advice?
I use the mr heater brand shop htr it gets down to -40 here regularly and a 55k btu works great for my 24x24 shop w 2x6 insulated walls

Last edited:
G gnome

G gnome

Modine hot dawg,has a t stat and a fan/blower. They come in sizes from 30kbtu to like 120k btu. I'm ab nuch the sout to get the small unit for my shop.
They're pretty much the same as mine...i bought a programmable thermostat

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
You could always invest in a package unit for your heating and cooling all in one. I have a 4 ton carrier that’s single phase. I paid $3200 for mine. My hvac buddy got it for me at cost. They come dialed in for natural gas but your hvac tech can switch the nozzles out to propane.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
You could always invest in a package unit for your heating and cooling all in one. I have a 4 ton carrier that’s single phase. I paid $3200 for mine. My hvac buddy got it for me at cost. They come dialed in for natural gas but your hvac tech can switch the nozzles out to propane.
Not a bad price bro. I do hvac and that’s about cost for those units

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

In my last trailer, a 30'+ 5th wheel I had no working heat so I'd run my Mr Heater Little Buddy on a 1lb tank. Ended up poisoning my plants. Seeing the oil slick when I watered is how I could tell it was the cause. As soon as I stopped using it they perked back up. These are built to be used in enclosed spaces (not Cali legal use) but they don't burn clean. It was good enough for me when I'd vent the trailer from time to time but I wouldn't recommend them to heat as small grow space.

If possible, get get a unit that exhausts the combustion to the outside and only radiates or uses a blower to heat the room. Better for the plants and probably the humans/pets too.

Someone suggested carbon monoxide detectors, good idea as well. Someone else said they don't produce carbon monoxide, they do. Make sure they are cleaned on a regular basis. From what I can remember, Inefficient/restricted combustion produces higher amounts of carbon monoxide too. Even devices cleared for indoor use can be deadly if not properly maintained.

I'm so glad the little 5th wheel I bought recently has an awesome ducted furnace and is an Alaskan (sub-zero insulated/weatherised)

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Works so sweet! Used it all last winter!!View attachment 829639

Is there any way to connect this to an external thermostat, like a Titan controller, etc?

Trying to figure out finer tuning than just "low, med, high"

Really need one asap... just trying to solve how to set a baseline low temp and leave it?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

My apologies if I don't understand the thermostat on these small gas units. I thought they didnt have temp settings just "low, med high" or am I mistaken? Hope so. WAY easier if its just set up, plug, play and refill sometimes. Are these set in Fahrenheit?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Never mind. Found what the dials mean. Getting one. Thank all of you guys .

Top Bottom