Pruning Lower Branches

• Thread starter Irish063
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Irish063

Irish063

My plants are about 2-2 1/2 weeks into flower. They have been out doors for the last 2 months or so.
I was wondering how much you generally prune off the lower branches?
I've been doing some LST and I just put some cages around a couple. Still have a few more to do. This is my 2nd grow

Thanks

Monster762

Monster762

Get rid of all lower branches. Pinch n cut don't just cut. You are good to do it at this stage flower. If it isn't raising up to form a cola get rid of it. Nicer ones can make good clones , dinky ones hit the trash.

Irish063

Irish063

Get rid of all lower branches. Pinch n cut don't just cut. You are good to do it at this stage flower. If it isn't raising up to form a cola get rid of it. Nicer ones can make good clones , dinky ones hit the trash.
By pinch and cut do you mean pinch close to the main stalk and hen cut the next day so it's not as stressful or pinch and cut on the same day? I assuming this just helps signal the plant to heal those areas for less chance of "infection" or something of the sort

Monster762

Monster762

By pinch and cut do you mean pinch close to the main stalk and hen cut the next day so it's not as stressful or pinch and cut on the same day? I assuming this just helps signal the plant to heal those areas for less chance of "infection" or something of the sort
No I'm just saying to pinc or bend the branch then cut it outside of the fold. Further from plant. Leave the pinched / bent part on plant and cut just further out on the branch. Not between the pinch and plant.

Westie

Westie

I trim, a bit. Popsicle.
But I'm growing a cluster of plants in a confined area, with no space between. (More canopy, less side bush) I would prefer full bushes.
Pros and cons either way from what I've read.

0731172019a
0814171257a
Irish063

Irish063

No I'm just saying to pinc or bend the branch then cut it outside of the fold. Further from plant. Leave the pinched / bent part on plant and cut just further out on the branch. Not between the pinch and plant.
Gotcha. I see what your saying now. Thanks

Irish063

Irish063

I trim, a bit. Popsicle.
But I'm growing a cluster of plants in a confined area, with no space between. (More canopy, less side bush) I would prefer full bushes.
Pros and cons either way from what I've read.
Haha. I almost thought those were a row of shrubs at first, in the bottom pic. Nice work man.
I am shooting for mini trees ( trees optimistically). We will see what they turn in to.

123grow

Cut the dumb shit/ lower branches off at the stalk with sharp scizzors. Lower branches meaning the ones that are useless cuz there whimpy or viney and wont get good product from them anyways, probably just more for the shake bag. Let the plants energy go towards growing bigger and better buds. * We remove the lower shit cuz they get in the way of our watering and feeding. Blocks the sprinkler system. Time consuming if you have a lot of plants. Same with removing the big water leaves. It lets more sun get through to the center of the plant. And its easier if you remove branches when plants are smaller. lol. Good job they look nice. *Julie

Irish063

Irish063

No matter what I actually do...I always wish that I trimmed more of the lower stems off. They generally produce annoying fluffy bud good only for trim and I wish that energy had gone into the canopy.
Thanks man. didn't see this yesterday somehow. Yeah I remember trimming branches like that last year and feeling like it was pointless to have had those.

Irish063

Irish063

Cut the dumb shit/ lower branches off at the stalk with sharp scizzors. Lower branches meaning the ones that are useless cuz there whimpy or viney and wont get good product from them anyways, probably just more for the shake bag. Let the plants energy go towards growing bigger and better buds. * We remove the lower shit cuz they get in the way of our watering and feeding. Blocks the sprinkler system. Time consuming if you have a lot of plants. Same with removing the big water leaves. It lets more sun get through to the center of the plant. And its easier if you remove branches when plants are smaller. lol. Good job they look nice. *Julie

Thanks. The above pictures aren't mine though. I do have a grow log. I meant to take a pic to put in here today but didn't because they were super droopy from needing water. Didn't have a chance to water them yesterday.
Do you notice any difference from just using scissors versus pinching and cutting?

123grow

Thanks. The above pictures aren't mine though. I do have a grow log. I meant to take a pic to put in here today but didn't because they were super droopy from needing water. Didn't have a chance to water them yesterday.
Do you notice any difference from just using scissors versus pinching and cutting?
I'm only going by what i have seen and or learned over the years and everybody has different ways of doing things. Personally I've never heard of pinching or bending? I've always removed branches by cutting them off with sharp trimming scizzors as close to the main branch as possible. I don't just cut Part of a branch as if it was being trimmed, thats why i get close as possible to where its coming from then snip it off. I've never had any issues from doing it that way. * I was wondering why or whats the reasoning for pinching or bending? I would be afraid of tearing and ripping the outter layer of the branch. (I call it the skin). Lol, Julie

BudBogart

BudBogart

A cut will bleed. Haven't really had damage from one before but I was always told to pinch or bend then cut.
Yup, referred to as Super Cropping I had beautiful results last year. By pinching and bending instead of breaking off the tallest stems the shorter branches are stimulated to become the new dominant branches, meanwhile the bent tops quickly recover.

Top Bottom