Pruning

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

My girls are really bushy and small and I find most of the plant is often shaded by a few mature leaves. If I leave the mature leaves on they get canablized over a week. Instead of leaving them on I remove them. They don't allow enough light to get to the lower leaves and also lay on the leaves below them.

My girls had a case of PWM when I got them. Treated them over the coarse of a couple weeks. Since then and the addition of silica there hasn't been a sign. I'd rather not welcome it back by allowing to much leaf to leaf contact.

Once removed the plant is back to pruning shape within three days later. I end up removing almost 15% of the leaves every three days.

Good, bad or just one way to do it?

P

PassTheJ

Instead of removing fan leaves, why wont you stretch the branches outward. It'll leave the center open for light penetration, promote rooting from the stress and allow you the grower to dedicate those fan leaves more accurately..

I only remove fan leaves when absolutely necessary like if there is no more floor space to stress my plants and my center gets jammed with foliage..

You can also cut the fan leaves in half. As long as the fan leaf has 50% of its finger, it still works..

I keep trimming to bare minimum. Basically only to lollipop.

But to answer your question.. No.. it's perfectly fine. It means your plant is healthy. It's your job to use those fan leaves effectively.

S

Shawnery

Can you give me some advice in how to tie them done or what I should be using?

Should i be using those round cage things that get wider as they get taller?

Thanks for any help.

S

Shawnery

Interesting little side note about pruning leaves during vegetative growth.

Every few days I've been removing bigger older fan leaves that are shading the rest of the plant. I will admit there's lots of good arguments against pruning and there's good Arguments for it but I have some anecdotal evidence to share.

I wanted to do a test and see what would be the difference between pruning and not pruning. So I have two rows of four each plant is receiving the same like the same win the same everything. The next day the plants that had been pruned grew noticeably more than the non pruned plants.

I'm sure there could be lots of reasons why it grew more than the ones that weren't prunes but we're talking all for plants.

S

Shawnery

Beautiful girls!

How far into flowering? Did you chop the bottom third of your girls because they don't appear so from the pics?

Your grow definitely shows that you don't need lots of girls per square foot to get a nice crop yield.

Helpme11

Helpme11

That’s my 4 week into flower I prune all way to last two weeks of harvest and start soon as fan leaves start taking over everything so probs 3-4 week in veg
Always get inside ur plant so when u look down on them u can kinda c inside the plant
I have 12 In there still more room but I let them grow into the space and keep spreading em out as they need it

That was my 1st ever one \/ don’t b scared to play with it why in veg bc it is a weed and will always grow bak

9BE8F3C4 075D 4A71 93A5 74A4518541B1
S

Shawnery

Pruning is such a dividing point amount growers. More so than other things you would assume might be more argumentative.

Bannacis

Bannacis

That’s my 4 week into flower I prune all way to last two weeks of harvest and start soon as fan leaves start taking over everything so probs 3-4 week in veg
Always get inside ur plant so when u look down on them u can kinda c inside the plant
I have 12 In there still more room but I let them grow into the space and keep spreading em out as they need it

That was my 1st ever one \/ don’t b scared to play with it why in veg bc it is a weed and will always grow bak
Sorry but Cannabis is NOT a weed, it is a very versatile Flower. It has many uses and very different strains.
Weed is a slang term given to it just like grass and pot. Weeds do not have any benefits...they are nuisance plants.
Do not down grade its place in our world by calling it a "weed" Thanks...

Helpme11

Helpme11

Well that’s ur opinion that’s how I treat em bro & trust me it works
But we both have our own ways of thinking

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

Sometimes you are forced to prune, after awhile it becomes instinct, but passthej is right to, I dont know who fishes, but I take a slider attach a fishing weight and attach to an outside fan, this pulls my main and miner branches apart gettng ligh to the center of your plant, allso a good way to lst your plant.

Helpme11

Helpme11

Yes I’ve heard of that never tried it to I like to fim strip bottoms n prune never tried a different way but I should.... but of 9 plants I can pull 45-55z sonif it worth changing what isn’t Broken? Do u do hydro air prunning toping Fimming sprogging? That’s something I would like to try but a lot of work what I’ve looked at

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

I grow autos, you know how the leaves are 1 3 5 7 9 May b 12 I grow my plants 1 3 5, then prune all fans 7 9 then it will stay at 9, i prune those when 9 drops to 7 stop pruneing that how you grow your cola bud, im pushing out so many lumens in an enclosed space i leave the firt 3 sets for the plant so my branches are exposed to the light, your branches will bulk up and your branch leaves will be bigger to compensate for the loss of the fans.

Helpme11

Helpme11

Yes I roughly understand that the lumens are important where a lot of people will think light I’ve just invested in sunmasters so I’m releasing 475,000 7m by5metre

S

Shawnery

How long will pinching and rolling branches between my fingers slow down growth?

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

Buy a pair of pruneing shears and a pair of fiskars for fine work, when you prune properly it will hold up the plant for a few days, i grow autos so i give a prune around day 30 and a final prune when i switch over to bloom, you dont want to prune when your plants are in flower, if you are in a tight grow space with a good light you realy dont need fans, i leave a couple sets on the bottom and prune it all away this exposes your branches to the light, your branch leaves will be bigger to compensate for the loss of the fans, you allso want light on your flower to give it structure, let me send you a final pic plant is done note how I pruned her to the end, as you can see i have few fans my branches and flower are in the light, decent bud structure, and I pruned her twice.

Helpme11

Helpme11

That looks weird but true tell u what on my next one I will do that to one and I can compare it to my other and see which weighs more but also which smokes better too

Top Bottom