Pure Coco Vs Perlite(or Whatever ) Mix What Are The Arguments

• Thread starter cc503
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I can't remember the brand at the moment I can check tomorrow but I remember the PPM was 850, I rinsed really well and got it down to 60ppm with tap water then I let it sit overnight and ran 5 gallons of RO through it final ppm was 20pp on 10 gallons of coco.

QuantumGen

QuantumGen

I can't remember the brand at the moment I can check tomorrow but I remember the PPM was 850, I rinsed really well and got it down to 60ppm with tap water then I let it sit overnight and ran 5 gallons of RO through it final ppm was 20pp on 10 gallons of coco.
Wow, so it was flooded with saline.

Lowman

Lowman

they don't use salt to process coco. Coco is harvested from the ocean. It is a by-product of the coconut industry. The coco is often just thrown in the ocean( as it has been for centuries). Coco has an uncanny ability to absorb the salt yet still thrive while the coconut trees continue to grow. This is one of the reasons it makes for a great grow medium.

After you rinsed the living shit outta your coco....did you buffer it with a nice dose of nutes with cal/mag? If not...problems will likely arise. Good coco like Canna brand comes rinsed and buffered. Thats why you only get what you pay for.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Good coco like Canna brand comes rinsed and buffered. Thats why you only get what you pay for.

Yes I understand, you get what you pay for, but I have a hose and running water, and buffering agent, if I can save $15 by taking 20 minutes (means my time is worth $45 an hour) to rinse and buffer myself and end up with the same thing I will take the cash every time. Maybe by some more Calcium. ;)

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I have been following this thread and agree that there are multiple ways to use and supplement your mix. The garden will be great im sure I just wanted you to see my Hempy Coco set up and IMHO the more information ya get the better we are at our grows.
Sending super CoCo Vibes To Yaz
10 31 14 UpD 3

I start and finish in less than 1/2 gall of coco and this seems to work for me
12 21 2014 UpDate 2

respect FlyJ

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Well done flying J, when i initially saw your coffee mate containers, my initial thought was this guy drinks a lot of coffee, then I thought there must be something to it cause it would be awfully hard to do a transplant with that container, now I know ;), and knowing is half the battle! YO GOE!!

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

I like Promix HP or Nutrifield 70/30. I prefer to run Promix HP or Nutrifield 70/30 in veg, and then transplant to pure coco when flower. in veg, i find that i like to be on schedule and routine. so when i use promix HP or 70/30, im able to water every other day brainlessly and routinely without overwatering (yes overwatering is possible in coco believe it or not. your roots need to be able to breathe and have plenty of oxygen. however if u flood it everyday with pure coco, it will slow growth.) that's why i use perlite or promix hp for veg. i use 5.5" x 5.5" pots to 3gallon pots in flower. Different strokes for different folks. Water every vs water every OTHER day. for me, it saves costs of nutes almost in half. So im happy. The only thing is initial costs in coco or media. Which is a good trade off for me. I spend like 200-300 more on coco vs 1000 on nutes. the labor is there too transplanting into bigger pots. but hey. saves on nutes as well. i use to use 7 gal smart pots. but i figured 12 pots of 3 gallons should be fine and should yield at least 1lb per 1000w. i use to do 9 x 7gal. and that did at least 1lb per 1000w as well. I've actually gotten 1.5lb but i'm just saying 1lb if u were to just auto pilot the whole thing. but if u dialed in and paid close attention. yeah 1.5 lb per light. also if i used 5.5" pots and went into flower like that, i'd throw 16 x 5.5" pots per 1000w and still be able to get 1lb per 1000w as well. but i'd water everyday. so it's all about what u wanna do and your grow style. Strain dependent too. and how u sculpt your plant matters!! but yeah if u spend more on coco and throw in bigger pots, u can cut nutrient bill by a third to a half.
Also i use to get salt buildup when using coco. i have started using sea green and Caps microbes and made tea. 1 tea drench every week. (i have a tea day instead of a flush day now) and i have no more salt buildup problems or anything of the like. It's been a very nice addition and now a staple in my garden!!!!

this is based on my experience only. im just sharing my experience.

Last edited:
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

It can be I suppose, depends on what angle is best for you. I like coco for it's reusability and it's drainage qualities, eventually peat breaks down and your PH will start to drift, kinda fucks you over cause I wouldn't even dispose of it in the veggie garden, with coco if I don't want to reuse, I don't mind distributing it amongst the other gardens on the property.

That being said I am still new to coco. So it could still be a bad choice in some way shape or form.

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Canalchemist,,
That is my homemade giardiniera..
It is the best!! I have taken it into Italian delis and they loved it..

Nuff braggin,,
cocoJoe

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Okay, Coco Joe, I am back and I can't take my eyes off your profile picture. Can you do a brother a solid and pass on a recipe, it can be in private. Please go to my profile and start a conversation and please, crap now I am begging... That looks so good...

Thanks for your consideration.

starr

starr

If you want a real pain in the ass.......does anyone remember having too wash the old bails of empire coco croutons! That was a pain in the ass spent days and days soaking and washing it. Almost gave up but did not. But when plants were placed into my old waterfarms with coco croutons it was a major changing point in growing for me, I went from sog style grows with high plant counts to growing a dozen trees that filled up entire rooms. I have migrated towards semi organic hempys as coir as my base and Ive NEVER grown with such ease. I also love coir that has been used over and over and over it gets sweeter as it gets older for sure. Eventually it turns into almot a lint like fluff, and thats when its the best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom