Question About My Setup Before I Start My First Grow

• Thread starter mashinpeens
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mashinpeens

Hey everyone, First time growing anything to be honest. I was on a pretty tight budget (think I kept it under $500) for this initial setup. I'm currently running a 600w LED viparspectra reflector series 600w in a 4x4x7 tent I also got happy frog soil, fox farm nutrients, everything to balance pH and 5 gal smart pots. I currently have the tent at 74-76 degrees and 60% humidity with just the 6inch inline fan for ventilation. I was curious how these would hold up for growing conditions until I can afford another 600-900w light and go for the 1200-1500w in the 4x4. I'm currently planning on trying 2 plants for the first grow, will this 600watt led setup be enough power for them?

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

You should be able to do to medium plants in there. Are those temperatures and humidity levels with your lights on? You may need more airflow especially you get your plants in your wet soil in there.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Your going to need more airflow for sure once u get the 2nd light.

As long as you can stay 80/81 lights on / 72/73 lights off your okay.

I got a 6" inline fan. A tiny 4" boat blower as my intake, but once u get a scrubber or filter on there will be a 25/35% airflow going to drop off.

Even with a long run n a filter, kills flow.

You can do 2-3 now, once u get more light you ll need the airflow. Desk fans can help move things around.

GL

M

mashinpeens

You should be able to do to medium plants in there. Are those temperatures and humidity levels with your lights on? You may need more airflow especially you get your plants in your wet soil in there.

yeah that was on a pretty hot/humid day up in MA. left everything running for 24 hours with the inline fan put on the lowest setting possible so i could get a decent idea of what the tent temp would be about. would like to put another oscillating fan inside at some point also

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

yeah that was on a pretty hot/humid day up in MA. left everything running for 24 hours with the inline fan put on the lowest setting possible so i could get a decent idea of what the tent temp would be about. would like to put another oscillating fan inside at some point also
Oscillating fans help a little. But really what you're after is exchanging the air in the tent with fresh cool air. Sometimes fans in the tent can be counterproductive if they are disturbing the airflow and mixing hot air from the top of the tent.
You would be okay at 60% humidity during veg as long as you had enough air Exchange. But at flower that's not so good plus when you get your plants and watered pots in their your humidity is going to go up.

Last edited:
M

mashinpeens

Your going to need more airflow for sure once u get the 2nd light.

As long as you can stay 80/81 lights on / 72/73 lights off your okay.

I got a 6" inline fan. A tiny 4" boat blower as my intake, but once u get a scrubber or filter on there will be a 25/35% airflow going to drop off.

Even with a long run n a filter, kills flow.

You can do 2-3 now, once u get more light you ll need the airflow. Desk fans can help move things around.

GL
i had not planned to do any type of scrubber or filter. is that recommended even if im not concerned about smell at all?

Dan789

Dan789

Welcome @mashinpeens, looks like you're taking the plunge, good luck with your grow.
As far as questions regarding temps and theoretical light heat calcs, unable to compute at this point.
What are your ambient temps first of all outside the tent? Unless that's 70 degrees, three lights, even LED's will raise that inside temp. If it's 90 outside the tent before you start, you might need to figure on adding some type cooling.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

If you're not concerned about the smell that's good that stuff cuts off your air flow big time. I would make a ducting for the inside of my tent at the bottom where the inlet is and connect a fan to it. You would only need a small tiny fan to blow a breeze on your plant.

M

mashinpeens

Welcome @mashinpeens, looks like you're taking the plunge, good luck with your grow.
As far as questions regarding temps and theoretical light heat calcs, unable to compute at this point.
What are your ambient temps first of all outside the tent? Unless that's 70 degrees, three lights, even LED's will raise that inside temp. If it's 90 outside the tent before you start, you might need to figure on adding some type cooling.
you make a great point here im sure the humility will rise once i get some water in actual plants.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

you make a great point here im sure the humility will rise once i get some water in actual plants.
is this tent going to be inside your house and you will be drawing fresh air conditioned air from inside of your house?

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

But you will need to cut your air flow back when its lights off so that you don't have extreme temperature fluctuations. You want to try to keep a consistent temperature.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

If you put a big fan on the inlet down at the bottom. You can put it on the same timer as your lights.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Hey everyone, First time growing anything to be honest. I was on a pretty tight budget (think I kept it under $500) for this initial setup. I'm currently running a 600w LED viparspectra reflector series 600w in a 4x4x7 tent I also got happy frog soil, fox farm nutrients, everything to balance pH and 5 gal smart pots. I currently have the tent at 74-76 degrees and 60% humidity with just the 6inch inline fan for ventilation. I was curious how these would hold up for growing conditions until I can afford another 600-900w light and go for the 1200-1500w in the 4x4. I'm currently planning on trying 2 plants for the first grow, will this 600watt led setup be enough power for them?

I think you'll be fine for a couple of plants with your current setup. Your light might be a little under powered but again will probably be okay if the plants are directly under it.

My first run was in a 4x4 with a p600 (350w real watts) light and I was successful with 4 plants, I ended up yielding 8 ounces dried. What I found was any bud site that was outside the main footprint of the light did not develop nearly as good as the ones directly under the light.

My tent was in the basement so the ambient temps of the main room was in the mid to upped 60s and the tent temps were swinging between 70 to 85 without any issue. I used a small 4" vent fan at the top of the tent running 100% of the time to help with heat and humidity.

because I was using hydroponics, the humidity was tough to control inside the tent but if you used a good oscillating fan just to move around within the tent, you should have any mold issues that usually comes with higher humidity.

I'm also from MA, welcome to the farm

Top Bottom