Question About Pm (powdery Mildew)

• Thread starter sanddan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sanddan

I'm thinking of starting a new grow (haven't grown for 2 years) and have questions on avoiding PM during flowering stage. In the past I've had issues with PM during the flowering stage, anywhere from 6 weeks up to 8 weeks of flowering. I have a dehumidifier, 4x4 tent and 600 watt light. I ran at least 4 clip on fans and one floor standing column fan in the tent 24/7. Heat was an issue as the room the tent is in is in an unheated pole barn. Night time temps got as low as 65-68 deg. I had the dehumidifier in the room but not in the tent. Typical humidity in the tent was 45-55%. The last run I attempted I was spraying nukem every 4-5 days and still got PM showing at the 7 week point. Any ideas on how I can get through a crop without the dreaded PM?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I'm thinking of starting a new grow (haven't grown for 2 years) and have questions on avoiding PM during flowering stage. In the past I've had issues with PM during the flowering stage, anywhere from 6 weeks up to 8 weeks of flowering. I have a dehumidifier, 4x4 tent and 600 watt light. I ran at least 4 clip on fans and one floor standing column fan in the tent 24/7. Heat was an issue as the room the tent is in is in an unheated pole barn. Night time temps got as low as 65-68 deg. I had the dehumidifier in the room but not in the tent. Typical humidity in the tent was 45-55%. The last run I attempted I was spraying nukem every 4-5 days and still got PM showing at the 7 week point. Any ideas on how I can get through a crop without the dreaded PM?
Heard nice things about “actinovate”. I can’t get it here but seems like it works.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Baking soda water and soap, hit the search bar I’ve posted many times about it. Remember pm is systemic. Once it’s in the plant you have to fight to rid it.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Baking soda water and soap, hit the search bar I’ve posted many times about it. Remember pm is systemic. Once it’s in the plant you have to fight to rid it.
In that symptomatic treatment i would suggest potassium bicarbonate instead of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

stonestacker

stonestacker

Don't treat the PM... PREVENT IT... Get your environment under control... I would heat the tent at night. Keep your temperature swing under 10 degrees. Looks like everything else is in order.
I use a 24 hr programmable electric heater. The ones without their own timer had to have the power button reset every time my external timer shut off.
Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Seraphine

Seraphine

How do you know PM is systemic? Just curious. The consensus of any university study that I’ve read says that PM is not systemic. I know PM is host specific (acting like a parasite). Maybe I missed something?

Seraphine

Seraphine

Also, I’m curious because whether PM is systemic or not is a highly debated topic. I was just curious about what you’ve read or heard....

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
It’s a hot topic.
w Systemic?

Cannabis growers are divided when it comes to powdery mildew, one of the plant’s most notorious pathogens. In one camp, there are those who believe PM is a systemic pathogen that permeates via the plant’s vascular system. Others believe is it superficial pest that spreads across the plant’s surface?

It turns out, there is a good reason for the debate. Based on the available literature and the tests we have conducted at Medicinal Genomics, it’s not clear whether PM is systemic. The science is still out. But here is what we know so far.

The Powdery Mildew that infects Cannabis is a novel organism
pict1556-1024x768.jpg

The powdery mildew species that infects cannabis is a different organism than the organism that infects other plants, such as tomatoes or cucumbers.

We genetically sequencing infected cannabis plants from the United States and Canada and found that the DNA didn’t match any known PM sequences. Further complicating things is the possibility that there could be more than one PM species infecting cannabis, but we would need to collect more samples from Europe and Asia in order to sort that out.

There has been no published research into how this novel PM organism infects the cannabis plant. For now, the best we can do is look to studies on how other PM species infect other plants for clues. However, until similar studies are conducted on cannabis, we can’t be sure how the pathogen behaves.

Powdery mildew can create an invisible network before spores are visible
screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-3-36-59-pm-1024x584.png

Powdery mildew is an obligate biotroph, which is a fancy way of saying it cannot survive without taking nutrients from a host. A 2012 studyshowed how the Golovinomyces orontii species of PM does just that. After dying an infected leaf, the researchers observed that spores penetrate the leaf and the cell wall with a taproot called a haustorium, which serves as its primary feeding mechanism. The pathogen then forms secondary taproots into neighboring cells, creating a mycelium network over a period of several days before producing the tell-tale white powder.

Again, it’s important to note that Golovinomyces orontii is not the same organism that infects cannabis. However, we have designed test that can detect the unique DNA signature of the PM species that infects cannabis from a 4mm leaf punch. In fact, our youPCR Powdery Mildew detection assay can detect powdery mildew DNA from cannabis leaves that show no visual signs. This suggests that we are detecting the DNA from the mycelium network that the pathogen creates prior to sporulation. This early detection can be useful to growers who can remove and quarantine infected plants so they do not further infect the grow room.

Powdery Mildew can be detected elsewhere in an infected plant
screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-3-32-45-pm-1024x787.png

If powdery mildew penetrates the plant, the next question is whether it gets into the plant’s vasculature and infects other parts of the plant. There is no published literature that supports that theory, and it is likely the mycelium network is made externally.

However, we collected four samples from visually clean leaves off a plant that had visual PM elsewhere on the plant. Of those four samples, three tested positive. This does not prove the theory that PM can travel through the plant’s vascular system. It could be that the other parts of the plant were infected by a separate event. It may also be that some powdery mildew DNA gets into the plant’s bloodstream when the haustorium penetrates the plant. In any case, it is a topic that warrants further study.

Cannabis can be bred for powdery mildew resistance
cannabis-seeds-1024x640.jpg

Powdery mildew does not affect all cannabis varieties equally. Some varieties of cannabis are resistant, while others are very susceptible to the pathogen. We also believe that PM resistance is not binary. In hops, we have seen there are lines that are partially resistant.

In any case, PM resistance is a trait that can be selected. Using early detection technology, such as the youPCR Powdery Mildew assay, growers can screen plants for infection before visual signs are present. By continuing to screen for PM infection, and selecting against plants that test positive, breeders will enrich their resistance.

Conclusions
As you can see, there is still much to be learned about powdery mildew on cannabis. As with most plant pathogens, the best defense is prevention. This can be done with strict environmental controls, periodic screenings of grow rooms, and screening of incoming clones

3 balls

3 balls

Works and look for it under lawn care section, branded for yellowing lawn and it’s active ingredients are the same
Are you saying there is something at Home Depot that is similar to Actinovate? What do they call it? I pay an arm and a leg for Regalia/Actinovate and would love to just pay an arm. Thanks

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Are you saying there is something at Home Depot that is similar to Actinovate? What do they call it? I pay an arm and a leg for Regalia/Actinovate and would love to just pay an arm. Thanks
Here it is.
It’s not a beneficial but it’s a great chemical equivalent.

7B3E9E8B 8A95 4C33 B463 A041FD0684BA
7393E46F B94B 466E 9844 80588F3B8E54
4E1E7BF1 00C2 42A5 817C 76AA8584F0D6
086531C7 B5D9 4ECE A22F D59CA7E264CC
2780DD79 1EBD 4973 B4F3 AA1B1F986EEE

Latest posts

Top Bottom