Rat Gnawing Main Stem

• Thread starter dduc2310
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dduc2310

Found this wound on the main stem of my 3 plants this morning. Guess it was a filthy rat. I know this will stress the plants and slow down the growth for awhile just hope it not gonna die out.
Does anyone know how to treat this kind of problem. Will it affect the total yeild. This really stress me out since it is my first growth. Thanks in advance.

Rat gnawing main stem
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
A better pic of the wound really would help a diagnosis

Homesteader

Homesteader

As long as it is not girdled it should live. When the stem is chewed all the way around the plant can no longer get water and dies (same as a tree). If you can repair the damage with something that will seal it for awhile as it recovers, it would be best. A plastic bag and some tape? Grafting tape would be best.
Its probably a mouse looking for water if it has been dry. I have seen this often during dry weather.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Protect the stalks with a wrap of 1/4" steel hardware cloth, the mice can't get through that. A foot or two section and bury about 6" down into the soil if you can. Make a cylinder with it around the stalk and zip tie it together. Wear gloves though, cutting that shit never fails to draw blood.

1/4" hardware cloth

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Mice and Rat's can chew they metal, easily.

Glue board, peanut butter

DONE

Former Sears pest control tech.

Top Bottom