Recommendations On Best Seedling Soil?

• Thread starter pointer80
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pointer80

pointer80

Hello all, I have some seeds ordered that should be showing up any day now and I have everything ready but have one last question on what kind of soil I should put them in after I sprout them using the paper towel method. This is some seed starter mix I have but was wondering if I should get something better or will this be fine? I plan on raising some mother plants big enough to clone for a in ground outdoor grow. My outdoor grow will be in organic soil that I have been building over a few years which consists of compost and aged manure, leaf mold etc. Thank you.

Recommendations on best seedling soil
TimeLine

TimeLine

IDK I can't recommend anything but promix IMO they package really well to keep shiiit out and is usually stored indoors at places

I would go to a local nursery where they actually use the stuff themselves so they have vested interest in it being "clean" pay the extra couple bucks and maybe ask a question on plants to gain some info for the extra couple bucks

pointer80

pointer80

Thanks for all the input guy's. I actually discovered a product made locally right here in Northern Michigan by a company called Morgans composting which is specifically blended for cannabis seed starting/cloning.

Madbud

Madbud

I stopped using paper towels years ago, solo cup half full, press the seed on top then water to settle it in the soil. Warmth is essential, i put the cup in a coffee can with the lid on and set it in front of a radiator. Two-five days and its rooted. If you want to get fancy, put a clear solo cup inside a red one so you can check the roots down the road. Any seedling soil works, even mg. This year i have Jiffy, 6 for 6 germinated.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I usually use canna terra or canna pro plus for seeds.i like to keep my seedlings and fresh rooted cuts in a soil that still holds a lot of oxygen wen wet.
I can't give any advice about what your using as I,v never used it but in my nowadays i personal always pay the extra for soil I know is good rather than trying to pinch a few pennies with cheaper stuff I,m unsure of.especially with seeds.i,v lost expensive seeds in shit soil in the past some that just held too much moisture once watered and the seeds drowned or the soil was full of fungus gnat larvea that ate the shoots and just left shells.after losing a few packs of either expensive or hard to get seeds I just thought fuck it, getting cheaper stuff of unknown quality is often costing me more in the long run so I started trying different soil brands.i,v tried just about em all.atleast all available in the UK.i found my seedlings took root better and grew healthier in the canna pro plus which isn't even a seedling soil at all but it has a great consistency.its kinda spongy from the white peat in it.
I,m just trying a new soil this run.its by plant majic.it too has a really nice consistency and doesn't retain too much moisture.i having finished a run with em yet or tried to pop seeds in it but so far it's looking like it's going to be a soil I would happily use again.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i make my own soil,great for a extended grow,but when it comes to my medicine,fox farms all the way unless i cant get it or not growing enough to get it,what i get to replace it and comes in a small bag,is coast of maine mix,stuff is awesome,great for my meds and veggies,especially onions from seed,i use no humidity domes or stuff like that,solo cup half full of the coast of maine and seed to soil,when the roots come out bottom,into the final pot it goes,using half full cup lets me bury the stem as it grows,i have 90 onion bulbs sitting in it right now,took 3 days for the bulbs to root and give sign of growth,2 more weeks i will take the plugs and bulbs to the garden,reason i do it this way onions have to be grown on top of your soil to produce big onions and have to be ringed now and then,anyway from weed to table fair i use the coast of maine mix for there start to life

Top Bottom