Recurring Problem That I Can't Shake Off

• Thread starter GSWCali
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GSWCali

I would say that ppm is not too crazy high. I would want to run a lower ppm thru to get the out a little closer to the going in but that’s not terrible.

Ph seems a little low but not terrible either. Don’t trust the run off ph. You can do a slurry test but personally I don’t think it’s the ph either. Just trying to keep it closer to 5.8-5.9 going in. IMO.

I would look for bugs personally. That curling is pretty bad. That’s not nitrogen curl. Get a good scope and go to town if nothing. I lose but to eliminate that option

Hey I did a slurry test for the plant with the those curls and the ppm was 550. I have been checking leaves daily and have yet to find any type of bug under the leaves. The only bug I have found in my room is springtails but they are always wondering on the floor. Have never seen them on the trays or anything. Would it be harmful if I do a IPM approach even though I haven't really seen any type of mites/bugs? I was reading about these critters http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/IN/IN63900.pdf was thinking about releasing some of these before I go flip to flower.

G

GSWCali

If I were you I'd lower my light to 24 inches, bump up your PH to 6.2, and drop your PPM's to 700 and see how you it goes in a weeks time, maybe a good flush first to level things out to give you a fighting chance.

I use DE gavitas I think it will be too much at 2 feet. I just set up my res with fresh ph'd water with some cal mag and will do a good flushing for todays feedings. Tomorrow I'll set up my res with ppms at 700 and see how that goes. For some reason whenever I adjust my ph lets say I set it at 5.7 after the first feeding it will be around 6-6.1. Could this be causing problems since I use a recirculating drip system and feed around 6 times a light cycle?

G

GSWCali

When there's 700ppm going in and 900ppm comming out that means you're feeding more than a plant can eat. And those 200ppm of excess are causing root damage. There's most likely no bugs, just the feed being a bit too hot.

This might be right on the money because I have yet to really see any bugs. The symptoms do look like some type of mite but I believe it to be something with the nutrients as do you. I'm thinking about flushing for today, tomorrow start with about 1/2 strength of what I usually use and go from there. I did do a slurry test on the plant with the curling and the ppm was 550. I honestly don't know how accurate that is as the whole runoff was 900. Maybe I'm getting mixed singles and taking the wrong approach idk.

chemistry

chemistry

I use DE gavitas I think it will be too much at 2 feet. I just set up my res with fresh ph'd water with some cal mag and will do a good flushing for todays feedings. Tomorrow I'll set up my res with ppms at 700 and see how that goes. For some reason whenever I adjust my ph lets say I set it at 5.7 after the first feeding it will be around 6-6.1. Could this be causing problems since I use a recirculating drip system and feed around 6 times a light cycle?

Here's some thing to look at, when you do your PH, do you do it before you put the nuits in? I use Canna nuits, and they balance at what you set your PH at, so if I put my nuits in, and then PH, my nuits will put my PH out of whack, and will make it hard to achive 5.8 with out a big drift with in a day. So try setting your PH first, before you put any thing else in, some times it says PH swings on the bottle if it has a detrimental effect, let me know how you get on if you try this.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

This might be right on the money because I have yet to really see any bugs. The symptoms do look like some type of mite but I believe it to be something with the nutrients as do you. I'm thinking about flushing for today, tomorrow start with about 1/2 strength of what I usually use and go from there. I did do a slurry test on the plant with the curling and the ppm was 550. I honestly don't know how accurate that is as the whole runoff was 900. Maybe I'm getting mixed singles and taking the wrong approach idk.
Did you say you have a rockwool cube buried in the coir?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Did you share what wattage you are running your DE lights. Those throw down some serious radiant heat & IR. What is the height of your lights and what is your leaf temperature at canopy height???

Toaster79

Toaster79

Whe you did slurry, you.took 1 part water and 1 part medium and mixed those. Now let's say your water is at about 0ppm as you're using RO. So after mixing those two, you get about half the reading of what your medium actually holds as you diluted it with water. So your coco actually holds about 1000ppm of nutrients. Now puting another 700ppm in it and assuming plants eat some of the nutes you still have excess in there and your runoff comes out at 900ppm. Slurry is ok for diagnostics if you know what you're adding and what the reading really means.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Excess nutes happens a lot.... you cant always fix a plant by adding more crap
Cannabis farmers and others in the AG world are conditioned to overfeed. Good for the fert companies not so good for the farmers. Cannabis is especially prone to being sold to use massive doses to get those huge budz all strive for. But alas all that happens is over fertilization and mucho problems and diminished yields for the growers.

And to close, yields are determined by genetics and environmental parameters as opposed to having 20 pretty bottles of cannabis nutes. All the ferts in the world dont change the dna and genetic potential of the plant.

guymandude

guymandude

ok, i'v e been growing in coco for 10 years. If the coco stays wet for too long, it will become acidic and the ph will drop. I water and feed in veg sparingly, to a point, to encourage the plant to put out more roots to fill the pot. By the time i get into flower, the plants are going through 2-3 liters a day in 3 gallon grow bags. I also ph my nute solution to 6.0-6.1. 5.8 is perfect for hydro, not coco, although the plant will adapt some. I used Botanicare coco for quite a while then switched to Canna Coco. Botanicare needs to be flushed before planting in it. The last time i used Botanicare, it flushed with about 700 ppm of salts in the runoff. Canna coco flushes at 0 ppm. That saves me a lot of wear and tear on my RO filters. Are you flushing your botanicare coco before you plant?

now i know there's going to be someone come along and say I'm full of crap and I don't know what i'm doing, blah, blah blah. I'm telling you what I've done in my grow that has worked and worked well. take it or leave it.

good luck

B

Bcgrowop

ok, i'v e been growing in coco for 10 years. If the coco stays wet for too long, it will become acidic and the ph will drop. I water and feed in veg sparingly, to a point, to encourage the plant to put out more roots to fill the pot. By the time i get into flower, the plants are going through 2-3 liters a day in 3 gallon grow bags. I also ph my nute solution to 6.0-6.1. 5.8 is perfect for hydro, not coco, although the plant will adapt some. I used Botanicare coco for quite a while then switched to Canna Coco. Botanicare needs to be flushed before planting in it. The last time i used Botanicare, it flushed with about 700 ppm of salts in the runoff. Canna coco flushes at 0 ppm. That saves me a lot of wear and tear on my RO filters. Are you flushing your botanicare coco before you plant?

now i know there's going to be someone come along and say I'm full of crap and I don't know what i'm doing, blah, blah blah. I'm telling you what I've done in my grow that has worked and worked well. take it or leave it.

good luck

do you do multiple daily feedings once you are in flower? or keep wet once it is in flower?

Top Bottom