Reds & Ir Inducing Plant Sleep

• Thread starter Junk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Junk

Junk

I was watching a youtube video the other day of this guy teaching a class about lighting for cannabis. For the life of me, I cannot find the video. He also discussed running high ppm intentionally. I tried that this round & it worked well.

Now, I cannot find the video but maybe some of you guys know. I forget the details (which is why I'm posting) but he basically said if, at the end of the day, you introduce a certain red spectrum, for a certain length of time before lights out, the plant will hit "rest" mode up to 2.5 hours faster.

I've spent hours looking for the vid. Every history, & youtube I have it set so it doesn't track my history. I watched a video, & you know how they have a playlist now? The video just came up after a while.

So anyway, are any of you doing this? If so, what exactly are you doing?

shemshemet

shemshemet

@Junk check out "induction lighting"

Personally not sure if there is any merit.

Junk

Junk

Any farmer opinions on effectiveness?

**Edit - My timing was right after Shemshemet hence the question. Have you tried it Shem? Or just second hand reports?

That's not the video, but that is the concept the guy was talking about.

sixstring

sixstring

im not sure i want my plants shutting down 2.5 hours faster.i want as much production during lights on as i can get out of them ya know.so what was the high ppm about ?

Junk

Junk

im not sure i want my plants shutting down 2.5 hours faster.i want as much production during lights on as i can get out of them ya know.so what was the high ppm about ?

You aren't changing your lights on time. Theoretically, you are mimicking sunset & "they" say the dark cycle is improved.

I believe I've found the channel of the video...give me a minute

DrFever

DrFever

IMO plants do not rest specially a C3 plant it works 24 hrs a day lights on and works just as hard lights off

Junk

Junk

I give up. It's a guy in a white lab coat in a class room setting. The audio is poor. Plus I just kept getting sidetracked on other videos. I found one that I that I had high hopes for (his channel) as he seemed to be kind of like me. He did a lot of experiments & tests with plants. But then he talked about mainlining & you realize this guy doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

Me running high ppm this round & the video were totally separate things. I just saw the video the other day. He just happened to mention it & because it was something I was trying, it caught my attention (I'm always multi-tasking). I didn't hear the explanation.

I'm running the high ppm's because I've seen other growers I admire do it. That's the only reason I tried it. But the video seems to offer an explanation as to why it can work. But the way I remember it, the teacher said "blah blah blah, that's why some growers can run their plants at very high ppm's but not be stunted"

Know what I mean? The explanation came before the statement...I only caught the statement.

@DrFever - I agree with you 100%. Our bodies are doing the same thing. Rest/sleep it's just a word I use incorrectly often.

However what we are talking about is improving the ideal conditions of those two periods. Because even if the plant works just as hard during each, you want ideal conditions for both right?

I'm not trying to be argumentative with anyone. This idea might accomplish absolutely zero...I don't know. I'm just pointing out that so far, the theory rebuttals are invalid. This is all in my opinion. & by all means, show me where I'm wrong, that's why I'm asking...

Junk

Junk

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/resources/do-roots-really-grow-in-the-dark.249/

I def saw dark cycles different after reading this. I hear what your saying @Junk im curious to know more about this as well

If you read that, & think of the infrared idea as a hinderance to any residual energy I could see how it would be bad. But again, all we are talking about is inducing the plant to change states faster (that's how I'm understanding it anyway).

I don't see how it do anything bad, so long as it's not introducing too much heat. I feel a side by side coming...

Junk

Junk

My explanation as to why I'm not being argumentative made me sound more argumentative lol. It's the internet.

The other reason this caught my attention is my shop just started carrying the Kind LED's. I've read about the Area 51, & Apache being the only ones certain people will recommend, but the numbers the Kind K51000 puts out is impressive. & you can program the spectrum. In my opinion, this is the future of cannabis growing. Specialized light cycles & regimens for specific strains. So anyway, with the Kind, you could program it to increase the IR output just before lights out.

sixstring

sixstring

Yeah im def interested to hear about it.my gavita control dims the lights starting 30 mins before lights out.i use 5 gavita randomly spaced in my grow along with 14 x 600w that do not dim.and i def notice the whole room starts to shut down around the 15 min mark.it also changes the lamp color as it dims so by the time they shut down its really red in the rr e like sunset is outside.they start up the same way.cant say i notice a difference in yields or plant health because of this.but adding the gavitas def made a difference lol.

sixstring

sixstring

And as far as ir i do have ir cameras in my rooms so they get that light all night,plus the lights on my timers,controllers,dehuey ect ect lol.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Wonder what adding deep red for the entire flowering cycle would do.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Hey six are they the red IR cameras?just curious,i have an extra set but ive always been worried about them during lights out in flower.I also use the gavita controller sunrise/sunset mode but the only thing i noticed about it is i dont get such a big humidity spike at lights out.

sixstring

sixstring

Yeah bro they are red ir cams.i have 3 in there covering almost all parts of my flower pad.i figure they def aint any brighter than the moon lol.
Herms gunna herm is my motto.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Yeah bro they are red ir cams.i have 3 in there covering almost all parts of my flower pad.i figure they def aint any brighter than the moon lol.
Herms gunna herm is my motto.

You really feel safe keeping cameras that transmit video across broad wave pointed on your flowers? Or are they hard line?

Btw your setup sounds INSANE!! Haha.

shemshemet

shemshemet

@Junk no first hand experience. When I heard about the IR the induction uses (sells separately) it did make sense. But I really didn't dig too deep.

There are tons and tons and tons of studies having to do with plants, IR light, and plant hormones. IR light is a HUGE factor for plants, but I do not understand the extent of that. Nor how to apply that fact :)

sixstring

sixstring

You really feel safe keeping cameras that transmit video across broad wave pointed on your flowers? Or are they hard line?

Btw your setup sounds INSANE!! Haha.
yeah they are hard wired.its pretty sweet i can check my room any time from anywhere i have cell service,i can see temps and rh plus what my helper is doing at all times lol

Top Bottom