Remove Popcorn Bud Sites During Flower ???

• Thread starter dduc2310
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I leave all of my leaves on until I turn it back to 12/12. Prior to that, I try to stretch the branches out laterally to get more and larger bud sites, but only trim the leaves off that are keeping the light from getting to other bud sites. The fan leaves are the main energy producers and eliminating them will make your plant grow slower and not as dense. I trim only where it will benefit the smaller buds, but leave the bottom of the plant alone since it doesn't produce much and it stores nutrients that the plant can use...this is one reason the larger fan leaves on the bottom wilt and die, usually. I don't think trimming too much is beneficial, but everyone has their own "tricks", just most of them haven't been verified. Back in the 70s, it was a common belief that you had to damn near dry the plant to death to "stress" it, making it stronger/more potent. Most now agree that giving them everything they can handle is the best method. Do a little research and don't be afraid to experiment!

London bud

London bud

Maybe i defoliated a bit too much. This is my first grow:(. Some of the fan leaves got yellow and die off too. Some say it is better to trim fan leaves for better light penetration and air-flow (my grow area has high humidity so this is important). It is very difficult to know how much trimming is enough so any advice guys ??
Banging first grow

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Before them buds became buds I think

Its an ongoing process. As the buds grow and new leaves form, take off the ones that keep the light from shining on other buds. As a general rule, buds only grow well where they get light...it's not like they transfer the photosynthetic energy to areas that don't get it. The primary fan leaves generate energy for the general growth, but the buds themselves need it as well...the more fan leaves that remain that don't block light the better, but it is always a balancing game. Too little foliage and things grow slower and smaller, too many leaves keeps the plant from maximizing the bud/flower sites and might keep the buds smaller because they block the light. Growing lateral as much as possible helps to keep the buds growing vertically down a horizontal branch. This allows for the buds getting more light and still have enough fan leaves to help with growth. In my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom