Replacing Veg T5 - What's The Best Led Option?

• Thread starter hyzerflip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I'm looking to replace the T5 hanging in my 23"x25" veg space, it's an 8 bulb 2fter that is juuuust a bit too long one way so it sits at a slant which makes keeping an even canopy very difficult.

I'm not very familiar with LEDs - Have they progressed to the point that they're as good at vegging as T5s? If so, which specific LED fixutre would be best for my space? The MarsII 400 looks nice, but they say it has a 2.5'x2.5' footprint.

Thanks!

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I'm looking to replace the T5 hanging in my 23"x25" veg space, it's an 8 bulb 2fter that is juuuust a bit too long one way so it sits at a slant which makes keeping an even canopy very difficult.

I'm not very familiar with LEDs - Have they progressed to the point that they're as good at vegging as T5s? If so, which specific LED fixutre would be best for my space? The MarsII 400 looks nice, but they say it has a 2.5'x2.5' footprint.

Thanks!

I have a 24"x24" space and I have this 2 ft 8 bulb t5.
Fits with room to spare.
20160201 162819

http://www.amazon.com/8lamps-DL828S-Fluorescent-Hydroponic-Fixture/dp/B00NMX5EGC

I know your post is about led lighting.
But I got the impression that you like your t5 fixture, and it just won't fit.

I searched for a bit before I found this specific fixture.
It was the only one with 8 bulbs that would fit.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Good find! My T5 is fine, but if LEDs are superior for vegging I'd gladly take the opportunity to upgrade. Is that not the case?

Last edited:
hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Is the MarsII 400 too big for my 23"x25" space? Are LEDs even as good as or better than T5s for vegging?

hermit186

hermit186

Until about the 3rd or 4th week of veg T-5 is the answer if your going to change go to cfl this light makes the plant reach up at week 4 or 5 put in led's and it will spread out and take off.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Until about the 3rd or 4th week of veg T-5 is the answer if your going to change go to cfl this light makes the plant reach up at week 4 or 5 put in led's and it will spread out and take off.

So LEDs aren't appropriate for veg? Why T5s first?

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

315 w 315 cmh - good for a 3x3 canopy. Depending on how much space you have overhead this is the only light you really need, between flower and veg. LED is great for veg but I find the plants are more stocky and don't grow as fast.

The cheapest option would be to find a t5 unit that is smaller, I used to veg under t-5 and have flowered under t-5 as well, they are the best option for grow lights for sure if you're doing a mini grow.

Don't buy Cfl bulbs like the hermit guy recommended you'll really hate yourself especially if an even canopy is what you're after.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I have a 24"x24" space and I have this 2 ft 8 bulb t5.
Fits with room to spare.
View attachment 569343
http://www.amazon.com/8lamps-DL828S-Fluorescent-Hydroponic-Fixture/dp/B00NMX5EGC

I know your post is about led lighting.
But I got the impression that you like your t5 fixture, and it just won't fit.

I searched for a bit before I found this specific fixture.
It was the only one with 8 bulbs that would fit.

Definitely giving this option a good look. The dimensions for the light are listed as 23.5" x 12.5", is that 12.5" wide enough to cover the full 24" width with good light?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Definitely giving this option a good look. The dimensions for the light are listed as 23.5" x 12.5", is that 12.5" wide enough to cover the full 24" width with good light?

That's the main question.
So I have it in a 2x2x1 space so vertical height is gonna be small for me no matter what.

The light fixture has an ideal lumen output.
16,000 lumens ÷ 4 cu ft= 4,000 lumens a sq ft.
So even if it's footprint doesn't fill the whole space.
Its reflection does. There is enough space for me to keep my seedlings or clones beneath the fixture.
And I can put my radishes in the lower light area.

But I placed it towards the back so that the light touched 3 walls (aids reflection).
I wanted to keep extra space for other things+easy movement.

I feel if I centered it in the chamber that It would be fine.
2nd scenario is to add another multiple bulb t5 next to it (maybe a single or mult bulb smaller than the 8 bulb)

With my prop tray I can fit only 12 under the lights with 4" square pots (3 rows of 4) But without the tray I could fit 17 or more seedlings or clones. Bigger vegg"ing plants may fit in smaller numbers tho.

I have a from above shot.
20160207 211916

&
A from below shot.
20160207 211937

For your reference

I'm quite happy with it.
The 4k lumens per sq foot is intense.
Opening it up in the mornings fresh outta bed is the wrong idea lol.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
That's the main question.
So I have it in a 2x2x1 space so vertical height is gonna be small for me no matter what.

The light fixture has an ideal lumen output.
16,000 lumens ÷ 4 cu ft= 4,000 lumens a sq ft.
So even if it's footprint doesn't fill the whole space.
Its reflection does. There is enough space for me to keep my seedlings or clones beneath the fixture.
And I can put my radishes in the lower light area.

But I placed it towards the back so that the light touched 3 walls (aids reflection).
I wanted to keep extra space for other things+easy movement.

I feel if I centered it in the chamber that It would be fine.
2nd scenario is to add another multiple bulb t5 next to it (maybe a single or mult bulb smaller than the 8 bulb)

With my prop tray I can fit only 12 under the lights with 4" square pots (3 rows of 4) But without the tray I could fit 17 or more seedlings or clones. Bigger vegg"ing plants may fit in smaller numbers tho.

I have a from above shot.
View attachment 571022
&
A from below shot.
View attachment 571023
For your reference

I'm quite happy with it.
The 4k lumens per sq foot is intense.
Opening it up in the mornings fresh outta bed is the wrong idea lol.

After looking at my light fixture.
If you really want to go ham.
You could fit 2 in there by trimming up to 1.5" (measured) on 1 or 3" on both total fixtures.
20160207 232656

That could bring it up to 32,000 lumens in a 4 cu ft space. What is that 8k lumens per sq ft!!

I'm sure footprint wouldn't matter in that case.

Since your curious about its efficacy.
Here is today's growth @ day 8 from the day they were placed on a wet paper towel as new seeds.
Some are radishes.
20160207 233013

Last edited:
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

100% agree..I replaced my Burples in veg with 3500k QBs..they are dimmable and the difference in plant development is very noticeable..This is a simple fixture I built for my veg closet using about $25 worth of hardware (angle iron screws etc) the boards in this one are Fantom Sunboards..same as my QBs but a lil more powerful with a slightly larger form factor..They are so easy to build and customize, even I can do it..I added the meter and PWM control for better dimming than the internal driver had.
Fixture 2

Thriv3

Thriv3

Check out my super cheap led veg light thread. It's not better than cobs or quantum boards but it's definitely cheaper. If you have the cash go straight to cobs or QB's, you won't regret it.

Z

zebrastrips

Check out my super cheap led veg light thread. It's not better than cobs or quantum boards but it's definitely cheaper. If you have the cash go straight to cobs or QB's, you won't regret it.

Which QB's specifically for Veg state?

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Don’t get Mars. Google cxb3070. Fairly cheap and simple option. A 315 would be minty. Or a quantum board

Monster762

Monster762

Qb132 4 pk Amazon. + 1 meanwell driver to power em all. Can even mount outside tent but prob don’t need to. Puts 200true Watts led on in there spread over 4 boards
Run about 60 w each be 240w you can definately cover your area. And all together less than $200 shipped. Quality lights. Should last you longer n all. I have had 0 chips go out on my hlg boards. All my others have a couple leds out. I got2 hlg100s for the plug n play but basically ripped myself off cause the 4 pk puts twice the light in your hands for the same money.hlg100 are $150 each or its like $170 to have the 4 board with twice the output. I ran with 4000k. They seem to be good for veg and flower.

Z

zebrastrips

Why not qb288?

Qb132 4 pk Amazon. + 1 meanwell driver to power em all. Can even mount outside tent but prob don’t need to. Puts 200true Watts led on in there spread over 4 boards
Run about 60 w each be 240w you can definately cover your area. And all together less than $200 shipped. Quality lights. Should last you longer n all. I have had 0 chips go out on my hlg boards. All my others have a couple leds out. I got2 hlg100s for the plug n play but basically ripped myself off cause the 4 pk puts twice the light in your hands for the same money.hlg100 are $150 each or its like $170 to have the 4 board with twice the output. I ran with 4000k. They seem to be good for veg and flower.

Top Bottom