• Thread starter rmoltis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Hi guys,

I leave for my honeymoon tomorrow but i wanted to get a jump on things.
I went ahead and cleared out my closet that houses the furnace.
There is a good amount of space inside as well as having 2 fresh air vents already integrated into the structure.
I took my measuring tape and starting jotting down dimensions of the room itself.
As well as documenting total space up to within 5 inches of the furnace (small buffer).
I went ahead and made a crude drawing of the layout along with all the crucial measurements needed to establish sq ft of useable floor space as well as cubic feet of total useable airspace. the green lines were imaginary for calculating the triangle area in sq in.

Closet layout and measurments

My crude concepts on what to do with this space would be to have an adjustable light fixture mounted from the ceiling that would be adjustable in height via hanging chains or something.

Ventilation fans and charcoal filters can easily be run to and fitted to the existing vents to the outside,
which vent into the alleyway

I also am going to prep and paint the existing walls all flat white for reflectivity.
As well as sealing up joints and any possible holes bugs or things may come through.

I would like to implement scrog to help maximize the small space for larger yields.
I would like to make some sort of adjustable in height scrog frame for the netting built to contour to the shape of the walls to maximize useable space

The plan would be just 1 plant at a time
and veg until screen is %70 full then flower.

If 2 smaller plants filling the same netting save me some time between cycles
("assuming" half the time saved) that could also be an option.

This part of the u.s. it gets up to the 100's in summer and down into the -10 at peak lows in winter occasionally.
It would not be air conditioned but i could passively let heat out occasionally by venting the door towards the air conditioned room it lives in.

Heat would be the same concept in winter or a space heater.

So i need to figure out lighting demands and the type of lighting i should use.
As well as what kinds of ventilation demands need to be filled

Total cubic footage of useable airspace in the room is approx 47 cu ft
floorspace is slightly below 6 sq ft.

Any input or opinions on this planning feel free to comment.
This thread may be silent for a few weeks while I'm gone.
I will return eventually to pickup where i left off.

Rmoltiss planning thread 2
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
One whole week since this was posted and not a single word of advice lol.

I have been corresponding with a member on here discussing options of lighting demands as well as airflow demands for heat control.

He suggests that the general rule of thumb is 3x total airspace volume cycling capacity of the fan.
For example at approx 50 cubes that would get me in the ballpark of 150cfm.
Assuming there is going to be airflow restrictions from drawing the air through the space as well as parasitic losses of air movement capacity. I would assume i should upsize the fan maybe bringing it up to 200cfm or more but maybe less that 300 depending on the lighting type i decide to go with and the heating control needed.

2nd is going to be lighting demands.
At the moment i am leaning towards either a 250w hps/mh.
or cfls.

Cfls would be better at keeping temps down and electricity usage low.

While the other option would produce much more heat and also higher light per cu ft.

Just for reference i am a heavy smoker.
I tend to enjoy between a quarter up to a half a week.
The higher quality the less i use say a quarter per week.
The lower quality the more i use maybe half to a zip if its very low lol.
So the goal for me would be to produce the highest quantity possible that would allow me to keep the quality high.
If I lose quality from growing more quantity i would reduce quantity in the airspace to bring quality back up.
This btw is just for personal.
Quality doesn't exist much out here and i am tired of wasting my money on it.

I was always a quality over quantity kind of guy anything else is just a waste of time.
And i mean that in many facets of life.

Again any help and advice is appreciated.
I will start to focus on other variables as i go along such as nutrients, soil types, potting sizes etc.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Does your house have central air ducting? Is it normal AC or a swamp cooler? Is there existing ductwork in the basement room? Nice to have @jumpincactus son here!! Confused if you are in PA or AZ :)

Sip

Sip

Welcome rmoltis and congratulations on your marriage! First off, good on you for your in depth planning! As for your ventilation the advice you were given was decent. Just make sure that you have a filtered positive air pressure inside your room. It makes it harder for molds and pests to get into your room and cause havoc. As per your lighting conundrum, really it's down to personal preference. I personally would run a 400watt mh with cfl banks for augmentation and a fuller spectrum. But a 250 would be fine. Save yourself some dough and buy a switchable ballast so you don't have to have multiples. Hurry back from your honey moon and get that mother rolling! Good luck and keep farming!

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Does your house have central air ducting? Is it normal AC or a swamp cooler? Is there existing ductwork in the basement room? Nice to have @jumpincactus son here!! Confused if you are in PA or AZ :)

My house has air conditioning.
But here in Pa most places just have air conditioning units built into the windows.
So I have one in my bedroom.
And one in the living room.

This closet is located in my bedroom.
It is sealed off from the rest of the house due to the furnace needing a fresh air vent for the furnace flame air supply.

I almost never run the furnace except in those suuper cold months.

My best bet I believe would be air being drawn in from the air vents and out.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Welcome rmoltis and congratulations on your marriage! First off, good on you for your in depth planning! As for your ventilation the advice you were given was decent. Just make sure that you have a filtered positive air pressure inside your room. It makes it harder for molds and pests to get into your room and cause havoc. As per your lighting conundrum, really it's down to personal preference. I personally would run a 400watt mh with cfl banks for augmentation and a fuller spectrum. But a 250 would be fine. Save yourself some dough and buy a switchable ballast so you don't have to have multiples. Hurry back from your honey moon and get that mother rolling! Good luck and keep farming!

When you guys use air filtration from the outside what kind of filters do you guys utilize.

And I may stick to 250w lighting.
The cfl augmentation sounds like a good idea I may use that. I'm starting work now I'll bbl to respond better

Any recommendations on lighting brands /types I'm not sure what to look for or into as far as specs are concerned

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
One whole week since this was posted and not a single word of advice lol.

I have been corresponding with a member on here discussing options of lighting demands as well as airflow demands for heat control.

He suggests that the general rule of thumb is 3x total airspace volume cycling capacity of the fan.
For example at approx 50 cubes that would get me in the ballpark of 150cfm.
Assuming there is going to be airflow restrictions from drawing the air through the space as well as parasitic losses of air movement capacity. I would assume i should upsize the fan maybe bringing it up to 200cfm or more but maybe less that 300 depending on the lighting type i decide to go with and the heating control needed.

2nd is going to be lighting demands.
At the moment i am leaning towards either a 250w hps/mh.
or cfls.

Cfls would be better at keeping temps down and electricity usage low.

While the other option would produce much more heat and also higher light per cu ft.

Just for reference i am a heavy smoker.
I tend to enjoy between a quarter up to a half a week.
The higher quality the less i use say a quarter per week.
The lower quality the more i use maybe half to a zip if its very low lol.
So the goal for me would be to produce the highest quantity possible that would allow me to keep the quality high.
If I lose quality from growing more quantity i would reduce quantity in the airspace to bring quality back up.
This btw is just for personal.
Quality doesn't exist much out here and i am tired of wasting my money on it.

I was always a quality over quantity kind of guy anything else is just a waste of time.
And i mean that in many facets of life.

Again any help and advice is appreciated.
I will start to focus on other variables as i go along such as nutrients, soil types, potting sizes etc.
LOL.......... patience young Pedwan. Keep in mind folks here all have jobs and are busy with home n gardens. The answers will come. Love ya man!!!!

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
LOL.......... Keep in mind folks here all have jobs and are busy with home n gardens. The answers will come. Love ya man!!!!

Tell me about it.
The day after I got back from my honeymoon I started a new job.
Then I work everyday including tomorrow.
dying relative in west virginia.
Then we have a trip to seattle.
Then Sunday I am tentatively visiting a dying relative

And today is my wife's b-day happy 24yrs.

Was so tired and ready to pass out once home with all these things on my mind I forgot it was even her b day lol

I don't get any rest until I am dead lol.

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
You have a lot on your plate for sure. Remember easy does it and just chunk it down a bit at a time.

Give your bride a birthday hug for me. :D Much love

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Every project always starts with the first piece/part.
Starting small I got a small oscillating multi directional fan for air circulation in a small space.

Maybe I should say small a few more times.

20150803 123248

It was $20 at costco.
They always have quality products at reasonable prices.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Hey guys it's been a while, life has been keeping me busy.

I was readying myself to get started into my grow planning a little more now that i have some money stashed away. I was looking into grow tents because they seem most feasible and cost effective for me. I was looking into the hydro shoot 40 here it would fit most conveniently in my closet.

But i was also looking at the next size up the hydroshoot 60.
Its footprint may also be able to get squeezed into my closet just not as tucked tight in the space as the hs40 would. And would allow me to run a larger light (150w hps or mh)
Whereas the reccomended light size for the hs 40 is 85 watt cfl.

The one im almost settled on has the same footprint as the hs 60 but has a veg room seperate from the flowering chamber. It is the twin t60

I think it would be best. It would allow me to use a 150 watt light as well as having a veg chamber.
And would be a good candidate for a cool tube light.

So basically i was wondering if you guys could help me pick out a quality hps/mh cool tube setup.

The tent is designed to accomodate charcoal fans.
So i will need help hunting down one of those too, but maybe after I buy the tent. And see what will fit. (Still deciding which one would fit best in my closet)

Thx for the help guys.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the jardin twin t60. I figured the spare veg room would be nice.
Also I was thinking I could keep some herbs & spices growing in the lower chamber.

Well anyways.
once I get the tent I will measure the intake and exhaust port sock sizes. This will help me determine proper ducting and fan sizing to run. And I've been thinking lately... if I were to running a cool tube maybe I could get away with 250 watt

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
So my tent arrived today :-D.

I went ahead and reorganized my living space to accomodate it as well as put it all together.
My initial impressions were good.

The structural bars seemed solid. They all just slid together into plastic joints like knex. It took maybe 30mins at most to put it together. Mostly because I configured the frame outside the tent b4 realizing it had to be assembled inside of it lol. I had figured the cover was slip over once the frame was done. Luckily for me it was a quick and easy tear down and reassembly.

The tent cover itself was very thick and solid.
I felt as though I could not tear it if I tried (I did not try). All in all felt very durable which is good to know. If it was cheap I assume the cover would tear easily.

Any and all of the holes on the tent have "socks" with drawstrings. That way after you run some power wires or ducting through them, you pull the string tight to fit. It then prevents extra light from escaping.

I went ahead and put a light inside of the tent zipped it up and turned all the lights out. There was not a shred of light peaking through.

There are 2 chambers. The top chamber is 2x2x5 which will be used for flowering. While the lower chamber s 2x2x1 which will be used for veg.

Both chambers have "windows" where a panel of mylar can velcro on and off as a way to see inside, or to help with ventilation. The lower chamber has 2 holes, 1 is a sock for power wires and cables and the other is a 6" hole for ventilation.
The lower chamber has no intake opening because a vegging plant won't create much heat (this is where I assume the "windows" come into play for ventilation)

The upper chamber has an intake opening (sock) at the lowest portion of the chamber and it has a small sock at the top for cables and power wires as well as a larger secondary sock opening up top for exhaust ventilation.

Each chamber comes with a floor liner to prevent spills from migrating downwards. The trays look like the tent material with the black facing down and the mylar facing inside for maximizing light refraction. They velcro around the perimeter of the floor in ea chamber raising the edges up 2-3" to help continue spills.

The floor in the top chamber also came with a thermal isolator which sealed the chambers from ea other & the spill retainer/liner went above it.

All the intake and exhaust holes are designed to accomodate 6" ducting.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I ordered a kill-a-watt power strip today to keep tabs on electricity useage.

I have also been scouring the net for ideas, inspiration and the right parts to complete my setup based on space requirements.

The current piece I'm hunting for is an air cooled hood that will fit in a 2x2 tent. It needs to accomodate for the ducting needing to be attached on both ends and still clear the tent walls.

I still want a cool tube, but with most measuring 24" from end to end. They are not useable.

But.... over in europe, france, italy, Rome etc.
They have varying length cool tubes to help accomodate grows with size constraints.

They have a (cis mini cool tube) it is 5" diameter tube 300 mm long, or around 18"give or take a lil.
But none of these sites that have them ship (a light hood) to the u.s.a.

This one is perfect size. Anyone know any American based stores carrying something similar?

Until I get this mini cool tube I can't move forward without a 2nd plan for lighting setup.

I just found a California ebay seller who may have what I want, but his ebay ad is semantically worded badly.

I contacted the seller for clarification.
Hopefully he responds soon so I can continue my search.

This online store has an identical ad as the eBay seller, maybe they're the same store.
But this one states the glass tube is included. They list an overall size as well which is perfect size that I am looking for. Should I pull the trigger?
Here is the link

Next item after mini cool tube will be ballast and bulbs.
I have been eyeballing the hydrofarm powerhouse 400w convertible magnetic ballast ( gotta get rid of those rf signals). And it is American made.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
So now that i have bookmarked the ballast and cool tube reflectors i want.
I am now moving onto lighting for the lower veg tent.

I know my tent is 24"x24" but that is from wall to wall.
The tube frame is located on the inside of the space and it also reduces possible useable area from 24"x24" to 22"x22".
I measured from the inside corner of each tube since it was the point sticking out the farthest.

And the little corner braces/connectors for the frame extend little triangle supports off each other which also reduce space. These braces run in line with the direction of the structural tubes of the tent. So measuring in that direction i measured from the point of the triangle sticking out the farthest on one side to the opposing brace. This distance was 18". What this means is that if i were to find a light fixture with one side that was 24" and the other side being 18" or less. The side that is less than 18" in length can fit between the connector brackets and the 24" side will be able to stick past the frame and butt up against the tent wall. I verified this by cutting a cardboard rectangle that was 24"x18". It nested perfectly as described between the brackets and the tent walls.

I have been eyeballing t5 ho light fixtures. Mainly because i can get a square fixture to fit in there loaded with bulbs.

The only feasible 2 options are the 2 foot 4 or 6 bulb options.
The vertical height in the veg tent is 15.5" to the structural bar in the roof.
The 2ft 4 bulb option is 24"x14" which would fit perfectly as high up as i could mount it.
But would leave an extra 10" of non lighted area which would probably be 5" on ea side rather than one side with a big gap lol. Maybe the high reflectivity of the tent would help with that. or i could add a single t5 light fixture next to the 4 bulb. It would give me 1 more bulb (2000 lumens) and still fit between the braces while retaining maximum vertical height. i could do 1 on each side of the 4 bulb fixture if i could find single t5 fixtures that were the right dimensions for this tent/setup.

I will see where inspiration leads me.

My other option would be the 2 ft 6 bulb. It is 24"x20".
What that means is i would have to lower the light to clear the little connector braces on the one side.
But this would reduce the use able height in the space by 1"-2".
On the flip side though it would increase the lumens per square foot with the extra 2 bulbs and reduced cubic footage.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I wish i was allowed to edit posts for up to a longer period of time.
I just found an 8 bulb t5 light fixture that would fit my constraints. "23.5x"12.5x"4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ME6CF93N9A0A1TTMZES

It would fit between those braces perfectly.
Useable floor space is "22x"22
The space this light takes is "23.5x"12.5

In my head I think a 22"x22" light fixture would be ideal to help spread light by matching the floorspace measurements.

But with this fixture it would leave %39.30 of the Sq in uncovered. Floorspace is 484sq in this light consumes 293.5sq in which leaves 190.25sq in uncovered (%39.30)

But with the amount of lumens it claims and the reflectivity of the tent. Would it really matter?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I ordered my cool tube a couple days ago.
It was around $37 with free shipping. Not bad.
It should be here before I fly out to washington for christmas.

I'm hoping it's dimensions match what is posted online or else I'll be upset :mad:.

I would like to keep an intake filter (hepa) on the passive air intake openings. But I don't want it to be super obvious.
For example tent with ducting running out of it to a filter is pretty obvious.

I was looking at these hepa filters, they are black and would blend in well with the tent.

I can place it on the inside of the air intake opening. That way ideally it wouldn't be seen.
From the outside. Would there be a problem running the filter reverse?

I've read some people use intake filters and some who dont. I did my best to seal our place up well but every once in a while bugs come out of nowhere. Plus we have a cat. It would be ideal for me to utilize filtration on the intake side. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
My kill-a-Watt power strip arrived today.
Man is it a built unit. I went around plugging it in checking draw around the house.
My AC unit with fan on high draws 300 watts!

I have 2 20" circulating fans in the house running at all times. They draw 60 watts ea on low & 90 watts on high.

It will be nice to have that's for sure

My 6" cooltube also arrived. It seems like the right size. I didn't realize how big a 6" cool tube would be lol. I'll be ready for anything I guess.

I still have more to order and piece together.
It'll have to wait until after Christmas tho.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
So now that I'm in washington. I will need to order some remaining items. That way hopefully if ordered on the right date would arrive shortly after I returned home.

This is all stuff I need to order and have decided on.

400 watt hortilux mh blue
400 watt hortilux super hps
t5 fixture& hortilux power veg t5 bulbs
400 watt harvest pro switchable magnetic ballast.

Things I have left that are undecided and would like suggestions.

1. timer capable of safely running this setup without catching fire lol.
2. 6" can fan that is able to be speed controlled.
3. Fan speed controller
4. 6"charcoal exhaust filter
5. Flexible ducting what is easiest to work with.
Do you guys use tape or clamps to secure ducting?

Any of those 5 items Im open to input.
I'll order them a few days b4 I get back home.
Thx guys.

Top Bottom