Rockwool Soaked In Undercurrent

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

I quit my grow finally after wasting a month of energy and endless attempts to fix the issue.

I just took my net pots apart which were 3 inch with hydroton surrounding the rockwool. The water level was about an inch below the bottom of the net pot. I had absolutely no bubbling in the totes either.

The first thing I noticed when I took my plants out of the cups was just how soaked they were. I don't mean damp either I mean slightly squeeze and water poured out. Not surprisingly all the roots starting point looked awful and worse than the roots hanging.

Temp 75, humidity 70 and fans blowing 24hrs a day.

What is causing this issue because starting over isn't an option if this problem isn't fixed. If I start over now I'll most likely have the same issue.

How long should it take for watered rockwool to dry in perfect conditions?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I quit my grow finally after wasting a month of energy and endless attempts to fix the issue.

I just took my net pots apart which were 3 inch with hydroton surrounding the rockwool. The water level was about an inch below the bottom of the net pot. I had absolutely no bubbling in the totes either.

The first thing I noticed when I took my plants out of the cups was just how soaked they were. I don't mean damp either I mean slightly squeeze and water poured out. Not surprisingly all the roots starting point looked awful and worse than the roots hanging.

What is causing this issue because starting over isn't an option if this problem isn't fixed. If I start over now I'll most likely have the same issue.

Hmm, was it a water level issue? The concept is that it barely gets wet then drains back, did you remove the paper surrounding the rw? It usually drains in mins. Like it’s hydroscopic, shouldn’t really hold water long.
Curious? Pls post pic of setup and the wool

H

heisen

Throw all that shit in the trash and watch my videos on the DIY dwc in the hydro section.
Stop fukin experimenting with dumb shit and start growing some dank.ou keep trying to reinvent this stuff when we have all already failed and succeeded.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Throw all that shit in the trash and watch my videos on the DIY dwc in the hydro section.
Stop fukin experimenting with dumb shit and start growing some dank.ou keep trying to reinvent this stuff when we have all already failed and succeeded.
Post a link for him bro! I seen too many try and fail using RW! They just don’t work for dwc.!

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

A new thread isnt gonna help your rock head. Helloooooo is anyone in there!?
Ur not reinventing the wheel farmer. Why not just try listening to the fwllow farmers trying to help. I can tell ur not stupid, a lil stubborn maybe.

S

Shawnery

I'm trying to understand a concept, that's all, stop making it about other things!

No water was touching the net cup and there were no bubbles so the rockwool being soaked just made no sense.

Thanks for wrecking another thread God damn it, terpy!

Last edited:
S

Shawnery

I agree but let's be real here as well, I followed a pretty well known step process I believed.

Started with low nutes, 68-70 water temp and real hydroguard. Roots came and ended up getting root rot within a couple days of roots dropping. Went with what I thought was the right choice and brewed a compost tea. Things got better for a few days and then they got much worse. Cleaned out the system with h202 and 2 water flushes. Filled with water and a gff which is a hydroguard replacement. Things got much better in the root zone and then a few days later roots went bad again.

At this point i should have just quit and not wasted a week and some time. But before this moment didn't I follow a pretty standered process from A to Z?

That's an honest question not a bullshit excuse and comeback because I'm honestly confused!

S

Shawnery

Hmm, was it a water level issue? The concept is that it barely gets wet then drains back, did you remove the paper surrounding the rw? It usually drains in mins. Like it’s hydroscopic, shouldn’t really hold water long.
Curious? Pls post pic of setup and the wool

The setup was simple undercurrent with,
1000gph pump,
13g totes,
2" pipe,
179lph 8 four inch stones then went to waterfall in the last 3 days,
3" net cup,
1" preteens in coco reveg and no roots at all with no paper,
Hydroton covering bottom and all around with clone collar on top till last week,
Water level 1" to 2" below net cup with bubbles wetting it.

For the last few days I didn't even have any bubbles at all just a waterfall nowhere near the roots. Yet somehow after three days of no water touching the rockwool it was completely soaked to the point that the bottom was starting to come apart. This just seems to make no sense even with how absorbant it is.

My only option around here is rockwool cubes unless I want to start getting into the propagation business as well.

S

Shawnery

What's your opinion on removing the rockwool from clones with the possible root damage. That's been the advice given on another forum.

H

heisen

What's your opinion on removing the rockwool from clones with the possible root damage. That's been the advice given on another forum.
Someone told you to remove a sick plant with rotten roots from rockwool?by time you get it seperated you wont have any roots left.may as well just cut it and re clone it.

H

heisen

No, meaning new clones.
Hell naw man dont remove it from the rockwool.it shocks it and is just crazy to even consider.ive ran them in rockwool before.not sure how u are putting your plants in the net pots.
I remember u mention something about not using pebbles and trying to fasten them to some kind of half ass stirrup or something.
I always fill my water with 1 net pot in the system with about 1/3 rocks in the pot.i fill until I can see the water bubbling right below the rocks.than I take the cutting with rockwool or whatever u have and set it on top of the rocks.than I fill it in and that's it.nothing else to do.
Do the rest exactly like that.watch the plants a couple days.if they start to droop you have to pull them out and set them a little higher.
Also your rockwool cant be all smashed up.it is supposed to hold a ceartian amount of air if it's not crushed.
You need to get your own moms and take your own cuts so you dont have to worry about it.you just root whatever you want.you should have taken a cut of that gelato before you flipped them and put it under low light to get a few cuts off for your next grow.by time they was finished you would have had the new ones rooted up nice and ready to go.

S

Shawnery

A 1/3 huh! Well that's one huge difference because I had always read to put about an inch but a 1/3 is more like 2" or more. One more thing is i had always been told to put the water a 1/2" above the bottom of the pot when rooting and then to drop, even though I don't. Everything else is what I have been doing.

H

heisen

stop measuring inches and look at the water level in your net pots when u put the pebbles in there.You can drop the water level a little after the roots develop but stop paying attention to inches and all that bs.Fill the net pot about a third the way up with stones,fill your system till it starts to bubble below the rocks.Put your clones in there and cover it the rest the way up.walk away from it and thats that

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
stop measuring inches and look at the water level in your net pots when u put the pebbles in there.You can drop the water level a little after the roots develop but stop paying attention to inches and all that bs.Fill the net pot about a third the way up with stones,fill your system till it starts to bubble below the rocks.Put your clones in there and cover it the rest the way up.walk away from it and thats that
That’s sound advice right there!

H

heisen

A 1/3 huh! Well that's one huge difference because I had always read to put about an inch but a 1/3 is more like 2" or more. One more thing is i had always been told to put the water a 1/2" above the bottom of the pot when rooting and then to drop, even though I don't. Everything else is what I have been doing.
1 inch is putting all your roots straight below the net pot,you want the roots to fan out because your air stone sits in the center,

S

Shawnery

Here's a stumper!

I have a very uneven garage floor and my first bucket is about 3/4" higher than the last. I already raised them as much as I feel comfortable doing because of possible leaks.

Any idea of something I could use under the edge of the net cup to add some height to it? Obviously it's going to need to be light proof.

Especially with how important water level is in rdwc. Unfortunately I can't afford to get my floor leveled!

straincreation

straincreation

Top feed ftw with rockwool bro. The salts need to be replenished every day in the block thus adjusting ph, and all sorts of good stuff.

Top Bottom