Rookie Needs Help...

• Thread starter 420.hydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420.hydro

420.hydro

Plant looks good so far , let it get 16" to 20" then flower , auto will start by itself
Thanks Joe, but she passed last week from root rot...currently working on a better set-up/design (2 bucket system to minimize potential damage due to moving it about during nute changes especially...also found a 100w 24vdc LED driver I'd like to put to use)
Thanks again!
Peace!

C

Cannibal Joe

Thanks Joe, but she passed last week from root rot...currently working on a better set-up/design (2 bucket system to minimize potential damage due to moving it about during nute changes especially...also found a 100w 24vdc LED driver I'd like to put to use)
Thanks again!
Peace!
To bad , Good luck on the next one .

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks again!
Peace!
So hey fellas where are we at with this thread? Was it actually root rot? If so what temps do you keep your rez or controller bucket. Temperature of water/nutes is one of the key to avoid root rot. I am an organic living soil guy now and left hydro a while back. Here is the regime I used to prevent RR and there are some products some people swear by Zone you can add to your rez or controller bucket. there are other products out there as well.

Here is a link to a good thread here from some years back concerning RR. Take the time to review it has good advice on running a pristine hydro system..

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/rdwc-brown-root-problems.32630/page-9

Here's the link for Zone

The pathogen that allows root rot to develop typically cant function below I believe the studies I have read state 67 deg F so if you can either, one get a chiller if you going to stay in water this will give you a edge against further outbreaks along with the cleaning protocol I will paste. You should have clear sailing if you follow these protocols. Growing aint set it and forget it like a lot of peeps think. :D Especially in hydro when compared to soil.......

Here is my suggested cleaning and maintenance regime if your going to stay in hydro, dwc , or rcdwc

Hope this helps you from further rounds of RR....... and if you only do one thing let it be to get in control of your rez temps than build from there........ :D

Root rot is a constant problem when gardening indoors, and most of the time, it can be hard to spot until it is too late. Root rot is a waterborne disease which forms on the roots and causes them to “rot” and eventually die off.

This serious disease can spread to other plants if the roots are too close to each other. This can drastically reduce yields and cause crop failure. When gardening indoors, especially in hydroponic systems, root rot spreads very quickly and because a hydroponics system is enclosed, the disease spores will concentrate themselves on and around any roots which may be in the systems.

Root rot is 100% preventable and can be treated if already present, but treatment does not always work. It is firmly suggested that you take the necessary steps to keep your roots clean and healthy.

Root Rot Source of Infection
• Unclean tools and/or objects and equipment which has been introduced to the plants’ source of water
• Water that is unfiltered or of poor quality
• Waterborne diseases which can cause root rot to develop

Infection Symptoms
• Yellow, drooping, and “soft” leaves
• Leaves curled over – this is directly related to the roots being unable to take in nutrients at normal strength due to the infection (root rot) causing damage to your root system
• pH levels are acidic – the pH level will rise rapidly at some point
• Roots becoming “burnt” at the ends (turning brown in color)
• Plants consuming drastically less water than normal
• Roots becoming smelly and slimy and is usually at the point when the roots are brown in color (a healthy root system should be off-white or a little tan in color)
• Swollen root collar

Treatment
If root rot is present, then your best bet is to simply start over with a new crop.
1. If indoor gardening with hydroponics, you want to start by disassembling the system.
2. Scrub the entire reservoir with a bleach solution, making sure you get in every corner and crevice.
3. Then rinse with tap water.
4. Run the bleach solution through the irrigation tubing and rinse with water again (you could also disinfect your water by mixing half of an H2O2 solution with half water, filling your reservoir and then letting it sit for an hour or so).
5. Drain, then refill with your normal water solution.
6. Make sure you clean all of your irrigation tubing and other components within the system as failure to completely clean the system could cause root rot to return.

Prevention
• Closely monitor the plant and root mass often, at least once a day. You generally want to look for brown, smelly roots.
• Make sure you always have adequate aeration, having an open air exchange around your roots will drastically cut your chances of root rot in half.
• Transplant only healthy plants and/or clones to your indoor garden. Disease-infected plants introduced to your garden can also introduce root rot to your crop.
• Always maintain a clean system and make sure you change the reservoirs in your indoor garden regularly and give your system a thorough cleaning every three to four weeks.

Last edited:
biffidum

biffidum

Occasionally adding a cap full of hydrogen peroxide will keep things clean. Your plant was showing multiple deficiencies (Nitrogen, Magnesium,...) back when you were asking about the white edges. Odds are you needed to up the EC at that point. Deficient plants will have weaker roots (especially if Calcium is in short supply).

Keep at it and you will figure it out.

C

Cannibal Joe

Looks nice, what if it's a boy.
If it's a boy find somewhere you can flower it and collect pollen send it to me! Seriously you can keep the pollen and make seed stock . For me no plant is bad , you can cross it with another and get something different or better , a surprise in every box .

420.hydro

420.hydro

If it's a boy find somewhere you can flower it and collect pollen send it to me! Seriously you can keep the pollen and make seed stock . For me no plant is bad , you can cross it with another and get something different or better , a surprise in every box .
I'll have to keep that in mind for my next...but I composted her...

Top Bottom