Root Rot? - White Froth

• Thread starter varietypack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

varietypack

Hello,

This is my 4th attempt at this now. Where I live the weather is very hot and I have trouble with root rot. On this grow I bought a water chiller, and I keep the water at 17C.

I have two problems:

One plant looks like root rot, but the rest don’t have any signs. This is a recirculating dwc.

The second problem is ph. I am constantly needing to bring it down. There is also a white froth, I am wondering if this is connected to the problem?

PH is always 5.5-6.5 but the goal is 5.8. The air temp is 20-28C depending of time of day. 24 hour leds. Air stones in main tank and every bucket. Humidity is 40-50%. The tent is in an air cond room.

I use the trio general hydroponics. Flairform PH down and pythoff for root rot prevention.

You might find more info in the pics. Please ask any questions.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Root rot   white froth
Root rot   white froth 2
Root rot   white froth 3
Root rot   white froth 4
Root rot   white froth 5
Root rot   white froth 6
KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Whats your ppms? Also do you use beneficial microbes? I would think that for the age of the plant, if your ppms are too high the roots are frying. As for the foam, ive seen this in hydro when using microbes.

Geemundo

Geemundo

I've had a PH problem before. Kept going up as well. In the end i realized it was my ph meter. Recalibrate it and see if thats the issue. You should lower your ppm to 300-350 for a week. PPM is slightly high for that age. Good luck

V

varietypack

Whats your ppms? Also do you use beneficial microbes? I would think that for the age of the plant, if your ppms are too high the roots are frying. As for the foam, ive seen this in hydro when using microbes.

As per photo 640ppm after a few days. Starts at 300ppm.

I use only pythoff as mentioned.

What do you mean the roots are frying?

Thanks.

V

varietypack

I've had a PH problem before. Kept going up as well. In the end i realized it was my ph meter. Recalibrate it and see if thats the issue. You should lower your ppm to 300-350 for a week. PPM is slightly high for that age. Good luck

The first thing I did was calibrate the ph meter again. As you can see I invested a decent amount of money to get this part right.

ppm start at 300 after water change. How do I lower ppm?

Thanks.

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Thanks.
What i mean is that to high of ppms will hurt the root system... To many nutes can literally cause a chemical burn. Hence the term "frying".

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Thanks.
I think the pythoff is causing the foam... As i understand it, it kills all bacteria (even beneficial ones) fungi and molds.... Also, i cant say for certain but this might be contributing to your ph and ppm issues... Maybe omit the pythoff and try without it and see if it helps.

V

varietypack

ok i will try it without pythoff.

can you recommend a good bacteria? They sell the great white shark powder here. I heard that was good.

Thanks.

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

ok i will try it without pythoff.

can you recommend a good bacteria? They sell the great white shark powder here. I heard that was good.

Thanks.
Honestly in my experience using microbes in hydro is a pain lol and it can be messy cause it does cause odors and lots of foam... If your looking for a good additive to help with all around plant health in hydro, i would suggest silica. It promotes good roots, thicker stems capable of holding more weight and imo bigger buds... Just make sure if you go this route to add silica before anything else. It will raise the ph of your nutrient solution. So add it first, blend, then add nutes and finally a ph up or down buffer.

Geemundo

Geemundo

The first thing I did was calibrate the ph meter again. As you can see I invested a decent amount of money to get this part right.

ppm start at 300 after water change. How do I lower ppm?

Thanks.

Invest in a RO system. It should give you 0 ppm to start with.

Top Bottom