Roots 707 question

• Thread starter ogbluntdoc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

So I am new to soil growing, I have been doing hydroponics for a few years now and am wanting to expand my knowledge of soils and organics. Today I visited two different hydro shops in town. Now i'm used to different shops giving me different answers on products like nutrients but i was surprised when i was asking about soil that i got different responses. I've noticed Roots 707 has been pretty popular and seems like a good starting point. Here is my question, can a seedling be placed in the 707 soil, and/or can a rooted clone be placed into the 707. No additives. One shop said that it is to hot of a soil and has allot of N and will burn young plants. It was recommended I use something like the ocean forest for seedlings/clones. The other shop (whom seemed to be more confident in there answers) said that the 707 is perfect for young plants and can be used without any additives for up to 4 weeks in veg.

:)

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Only finicky hazes/sativas have ever given me an issue in Roots, whether Original or the 707. If you're unsure, grab a little soilless mix (pro mix, sunshine advanced, etc) and cut the 707 50/50. that gives little girls a great start!

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

awesome thanks for the responses. I figured i would be ok with it but if someone tells me that a soil is too hot im going to listen and ask around before i plant.

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

Altitude, or anyone. would you be able to give me a good understanding of the 707 vs original. The grow store didn't give me an answer i could walk away and understand lol. I will be using Age Old Organics for my feed if that makes any difference in your response. Im just curious if one is better than the other, or if one is more or less organic (if that makes sense, im new to organics)

Also, is 707 good to go as is, or is something like perlite need to be added.

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

well the store that said 707 was too hot. is the same store that told me to use the ocean forest. I wasn't impressed with them from the beginning. I was in there for 15 min before they even noticed me. I couldn't even find the workers to ask for help. Altitude do i remember you being near the 719? If so do you have a good shop recommendation. You can pm me if you want.

cannabeans

cannabeans

The 707 has a little less of ingredients than the original. The original is much hotter. Both use the same high quality organic ingredients. You will need to feed more as the plant starts to age in that soil. This shouldnt be a problem for you as you are experienced in hydro. As for perlite or drainange, Again the 707 has a little less ingredients in it, so there will also be less perlite or pumice. The 707 was designed to have greater water holding capacity. So if you are looking for more drainage, add perlite or pumice. Hope this helps...

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

707 is an outdoor mix imo, hence the 707 area code! The regular is better for indoors/pots and does have more additives. If you feel some type of way buy a brick and mix a small batch with some coco for your seedlings!

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

Yea i've seen the 707 used outdoor much more than i have indoor but i couldn't say otherwise for the original. To be honest i didn't even know about an original. I was oblivious to anything soil for the past few years. But when i started reading into soils i didn't notice any that are BETTER for indoor applications. It does make me think and wonder what difference it would make though being outdoors vs indoors.

Moe Lasses

Moe Lasses

The fellas at aurora told me: norcal outdoor farmers asked for a mix with less additives for greater control and double the container size. its also half the price of roots original.

I LOVE 707 for seedlings and vegging, but prefer roots original for my flowering mix.

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

Thanks good to hear. I only have a couple of young clones and sprouts in the 707 now and they are very happy so im happy as well.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

ogbluntdoc, welcome to soil growing!

whatever shop told you to put clones or seedlings in ocean forest is a joke.. i would never recommend that. ive seen so many growers spend hundreds on clones and burn the fuck out of them in ocean forest, - putting a huge delay on proper veg growth.

707 is cool in both outdoor and indoor, u can use it stand alone without adding any nutes or customize a light feeding chart to compliment the stages of life ur plants in(mainly flower). i recommend using the original potting soil for starts or clones, but at the same time, i havent seen any negative results using 707 and u should be fine. However, 707 has more water retention and is easy to water log. a mix ive been using here and ther is 60% 707 30% sunshine#4, 10% large perilite. - this is good medium that requires little attention in veg, with the ability to add whats needed in flower. much luck with ur soil adventure, hope all goes well.
Z

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

The 1st hydro store guy is FULL OF SHIT!! U can tell him MakinGoo said so!! 707 is super light & great 4 cut or seedlings.. Ocean forest is 1 of the hottest soils I've ever used.. If anything ur gunna need 2 add nutes 4 some big feeding strains.. Most of my cuts do great in 707 but my True OG wants food within 2 weeks of being in the 707 & my other strains can go almost a month in the 707 with no food.. I'm testing both soils rite now & the ingredients r the same but the 707 is peat base with coco 2nd & the original mix is coco base with peat 2nd.. That's the only difference on the bag.. My cuts have been in the original mix 4 about a week & it's workin the same as 707.. I'm guessing the original has a ill bit more food in the mix but so far it's lookin the same..

No extra anything is needed 2 mix with 707 b'cuz i think there is 2 much air pockets in the soil.. It's hella light << lights then pure coco.. I wouldn't add any perlite b'cuz I think there is 2 much in the mix.. Next I think I'll try mixing 707 with a hotter soil when transplanting 4 flower..

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

Thats good to hear. exactly what i wanted to hear actually. :) so far my plants seem happy that are in it. only clones that recently rooted and a couple sprouts. still getting used to the watering on it. i do have couple of bugs im not sure what they are. i have a thread in the infirmary titled whats this bug. with pictures. if anyone can chime in on that i would really appreciate it.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Ur plants r gunna blast off in the 707 or the original.. I really like the soil b'cuz it's light & I'm a coco grower so I like 2 feed my plants my own mix.. I juss give water I use RO water b'cuz of my coco plants so I do add 5ml Calmag per gal & the 707 soil plants use the same water but love it.. In week 3-4 in veg I give them a ill bit of veg food but when I start flowering is when I really start 2 feed my plants

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

Goo, ive just recently started reading through your girl scout cookie thread. at first i was like nope no way not going to do it aint gonna happen almost 500 pages long! a year old! But im sure there is some hidden gems in those pages. I will always take what you have to say with extra attention. I appreciate the info and all the work you have shared on here.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Goo, ive just recently started reading through your girl scout cookie thread. at first i was like nope no way not going to do it aint gonna happen almost 500 pages long! a year old! But im sure there is some hidden gems in those pages. I will always take what you have to say with extra attention. I appreciate the info and all the work you have shared on here.
Thanks doggie.. I'm juss trying 2 do my part 2 share what I know with the farm.. I don't know everything but combine all of us 2gether & then we know everything..LOL

The cookie thread is like a book.. & winter is near so when ur board with nuthin 2 do read the cookie thread.. With all the info in that thread I'm sure a rookie that never grew bud could pull a nice Girl Scout cookie harvest.. It's a hella long read & we bullshit a lot but in that thread we tryed 2 grow that GSC forum cut so many different ways.. Now the rookies have a blue print 2 work off of.. I hope the long thread helps out some people.. Even if u don't grow GSC it's a great thread juss 2 peep all the cookie flicks..

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

Yea i dont see any cookies in my future unless i get gifted some. but regardless of strains your still growing the same plant im trying to grow and knowledge is power. Energy goes where attention flows. so books from the farm are perfect year round!

Top Bottom