Running Undercurrent In Series Instead Of Parallel?

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

The first thing I've noticed with every rdwc or undercurrent system is that they are set up in parallel instead of in series. I've often read and heard people complain about problems with either system in terms of flow restrictions.

From a Layman's point of view it seems in a parallel created system that flow restrictions from one side to the other would be expected. Obviously flow restrictions could still form in a undercurrent system setup in series but it would be the same Flow Restriction for the entire system instead of only one side versus the other..

Why is it that these systems are running parallel and not in series and can you see any problem with running them in series instead of parallel?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Possibly the supply of oxygen to the last reservoir depending on how long the run is? Just thinking out loud and keeping an eye on this as it has crossed my mind as well.

S

Shawnery

Oxygen would be a great reason but if you're running air in each tub or bucket than you think it wouldn't matter.

I was also thinking about putting an overflow in each tub as well incase of flow restrictions. If you were to put them at exactly the water level you would want flow restrictions would have less or no effect on water levels in individual buckets.

H

heisen

Not really understanding what your asking parallel series?

S

Shawnery

You have to think about it the way you setup speakers or batteries for that matter. Really just thinking of water the same way you would think of power.

In a parallel system ithe power runs negative to negative and positive to positive all the way from the last speaker or battery to the first. In a series system the power runs from negative to positive from start to finish.

If you think about this in terms of an undercurrent system than the water would be the power, the buckets would be the batteries and the pipes would be the wiring. In a series system you would run the water in a single direction going from the first the the last bucket till you reach the epi again. In a parallel you are splitting the flow in two separate pipes before the first buckets and than reconnecting that flow after the last buckets.

H

heisen

So basically you would have to fill each bucket individually?

S

Shawnery

Instead of having the 2" return line splitting at a tee after the epi and the going to each bucket in two rows of four, you would have one 2" return coming out of one side of the epi with no tee. Go straight from the epi to the first bucket in the first row all the way to the first bucket in the second row and the into the water pump than back into the top of the epi.

H

heisen

Yeah that's pretty much the same way it's done bro,the solution is just going under all the buckets,in which order it does it in makes no difference.
You can do a 3 bucket system done the same way or a 30.
I think the way undercurrent does it is to conserve space and make sure the flow is the same through all the buckets.thats why you always see even numbers on both sides whether it's a 2 row or 15 row but the concept is still the same.
There are no restrictions if it's done right meaning the same size pipes are used on all rows.

H

heisen

But yeah I get what your saying.having one continuous loop from bucket to bucket.It would work but would take longer to adjust the ph and ppm,I think with multiple rows the water is mixed and carried faster overall

H

heisen

You'd need larger pumps to get flow in a long series design and at least the first plant's root zone would be getting beat up.
I dont this would be the case because of the water dumping back in the epi bucket would take care of that,its a constant recirculating kind of thing.I just cant wrap my head around any benefit of it over the other.I build my buckets different that CC anyway and dont like the single pipe design that T's.My pipes come out the side and front of the epi bucket to eliminate that point in the system.

H

heisen

So your saying if i took my twelve bucket and just put 6 buckets behind the 6 and ran them all in a row i would need a bigger pump lol.Its the same volume of water going through the same pipes at floor level without any elevation.

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

I dont this would be the case because of the water dumping back in the epi bucket would take care of that,its a constant recirculating kind of thing.I just cant wrap my head around any benefit of it over the other.I build my buckets different that CC anyway and dont like the single pipe design that T's.My pipes come out the side and front of the epi bucket to eliminate that point in the system.
No man, the epi would just have less what're in it and at least the first bucket would be getting thrashed.
Series mod: larger pump larger diameter pipe. Problem solved

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

So your saying if i took my twelve bucket and just put 6 buckets behind the 6 and ran them all in a row i would need a bigger pump lol.Its the same volume of water going through the same pipes at floor level without any elevation.
Resistance, not how it works. Same with AC, people put in long runs without having the proper ducts and wonder why they have no flow.

H

heisen

No man, the epi would just have less what're in it and at least the first bucket would be getting thrashed.
Series mod: larger pump larger diameter pipe. Problem solved
im not following you here,The system would have the same volume of water,The bucket count doesnt change and neither does the volume.Instead of having a split on the epi bucket it would be just a continuous line from start to finish.If anything you could reduce the pump size due to not having to pull from multiple sides making the flow more even,How would the first bucket flow rate be faster than the last when the same amount of water is being dumped into the epi bucket as what is being pulled.Its a loop system not a pressurized DTW

H

heisen

Resistance, not how it works. Same with AC, people put in long runs without having the proper ducts and wonder why they have no flow.
Yes but the exact same amount of water is being returned to the epi that is being pulled,Under current is really just a reverse gravity system,the water is being pulled from source point not being pushed through a series of pipes down the toilet.

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

im not following you here,The system would have the same volume of water,The bucket count doesnt change and neither does the volume.Instead of having a split on the epi bucket it would be just a continuous line from start to finish.If anything you could reduce the pump size due to not having to pull from multiple sides making the flow more even,How would the first bucket flow rate be faster than the last when the same amount of water is being dumped into the epi bucket as what is being pulled.Its a loop system not a pressurized DTW
Not now it works. Google pipe and duct sizing calculators.

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

Were not talking a 1000 feet of pipe here lol.
If your flow rate is more at one end of the system than the other the first bucket like you said would overflow out onto the floor.the flow rate through each bucket doesnt change.maybe using smaller diameter pipes for the flow lines at the bottom of the buckets could create an issue but the water that runs under the plants is oversized pipe and runs on gravity.the water being dumped into the epi is constant and gravity is forcing the water to flow to the end of the system.the pump is only pulling water that's available in the last bucket and returning it to epi.
Wrong. If he used the same sized pump he would have "no" flow at the end. It is going to be stagnant mess.
Velocity Of Flow
When water flows through a pipe of uniform cross section, the quantity of water passing any point in a given interval of time depends upon the velocity with which the water flows and the area of cross section of the pipe. It is evident that the quantity of water will equal a column whose cross section is the area of the pipe and whose length is equal to the velocity.

The velocity with which water moves through a pipe is not uniform throughout its cross section. It is least near the wetted perimeter of the pipe where the friction of the pipe retards the flow, and is greatest at the center of the cross section where having to overcome only the friction of its own flowing layers, it attains the maximum velocity. It is assumed in practice, however, that all particles of the water have the same velocity, and the mean of all the velocities in the cross section is taken as the velocity of flow.

H

heisen

At this point we can agree to disagree for the sake of the OP

Top Bottom