Runoff Ppm Reading At 6000-8400ppm In Coco

• Thread starter Whitesnake
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Whitesnake

Whitesnake

i'm going to go easy with the feedings at 700ppm every 3-4 days but my opinion is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" at this point. they're looking happy and healthy

fatawa

fatawa

Im gonna qoute all important things they will want to c.sorry for clogging up thread.most people wont read threw everything n u will hav to answer questions multiple times.

fatawa

fatawa

Hey all,

So my plants were looking very healthy and I've been feeding in the 700-1350ppm range for the last month every 3-4 days to 10% runoff.

I just checked my runoff ppm a few days ago and it initially read 8400ppm (no shit) but the plants look healthy and happy, the ppm meter seems to be accurate at least for my tapwater and feeds.

So my question is : WHY the fuck did it read 8400ppm? 8400ppm should have murdered my plants weeks ago. Here are some recent pics

100% sure it read 840 (x10) ppm, I freaked out and flushed them until the runoff read 240 (x10) ppm

the plants look really healthy though so my thought is the 8400ppm is more than nutes and likely particulate from the coco fucking with the reading

im always down for more experienced folks to put in their 2c. i have a really hard time believing it myself but the meter reads accurate still with 140ppm tapwater and 1350/750ppm feeding

my thought is the meter is picking up something that washes out from the coco medium that's not fertilizer

thanks for looking out man, i'm pretty perplexed by it as well. the meter seems to read fine for the tapwater and true feedings. i'm in 50% coco loco, 10% peat, 40% perlite/hydroton mixed with 1/2 dose of organic soil amendments (alfalfa meal, kep meal, powdered oyster shell, bone meal, fish bone meal, lengbeinite, azomite, feather meal, seabird guano, gypsum, garden lime) *edit also 10% worm castings, i know that's 110% but i put about equal parts peat to worm castings

i'm going to go easy with the feedings at 700ppm every 3-4 days but my opinion is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" at this point. they're looking happy and healthy

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

thanks for looking out man, i'm pretty perplexed by it as well. the meter seems to read fine for the tapwater and true feedings. i'm in 50% coco loco, 10% peat, 40% perlite/hydroton mixed with 1/2 dose of organic soil amendments (alfalfa meal, kep meal, powdered oyster shell, bone meal, fish bone meal, lengbeinite, azomite, feather meal, seabird guano, gypsum, garden lime) *edit also 10% worm castings, i know that's 110% but i put about equal parts peat to worm castings
You should of never added that all together. Just plain coco next time..
This median mix may have you chasing your tail the whole time. The reason I don't kbow, is because I've never seen anybody mix all that together!

Whitesnake

Whitesnake

Grow 3 day 21 flower 9
the goal was to have slow release organics plus instant GH synthetics but i see your point. i'm looking close at the top tips and all i see is bright green turning deeper shades of green as they grow, a few bottom tips have some very minor yellow/brown crisping. i'll feed with a 750ppm solution each watering and every 4th/5th watering give plain ph water. sound decent?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

View attachment 726399 the goal was to have slow release organics plus instant GH synthetics but i see your point. i'm looking close at the top tips and all i see is bright green turning deeper shades of green as they grow, a few bottom tips have some very minor yellow/brown crisping. i'll feed with a 750ppm solution each watering and every 4th/5th watering give plain ph water. sound decent?
No don't EVER just give plain ph water. Unless last week of flower...
Water every day to a wee bit of runoff....
Water @ 1.6 Ec . 5.8 ph

Dewd

Dewd

Reminds me of a story. Well kind of. When I re-started growing a few years ago I started with dwc for a couple runs. The friend who was helping said set the ph to 6.0 and the tds to 1500. No prob. Except my tds meter displayed in a factor of X10. Or whatever. The point is when I set ppm to 1500 it was really 15,000. (30.0 EC) For maybe a week or 2 before he corrected me. I couldn't tell you if the leaves had burnt tips or not. All I remember were thick, leather like leaves. I was using techna flora nutes. Thinking back I probably also had spider mites and pm at the time but I had now idea what they were. The shit we all go through just to figure out to grow a damn plant... is totally worth it!

P

PharmHand

Despite what some say, I feel like measuring runoff is very important/telling. I do a canna coco perlite blend,start my feeds around 2.0ec watering to about 15-20% runoff daily- once established. For the first week or so my runoff comes out a couple hundred ppm lower than the input and they look best and takeoff once that runoff equalizes, which is how it stays throughout flowering.

What ppm meter you have and when was it last calibrated? Even if your meters off a little by the time it gets over 2k it can be off ALOT. Another thing that can skew readings is temperature. If you look on your calibration solution bottle it'll give a temp that solution should be for accurate calibration. So my blue lab bottle says 1385ppm @ 25C so I'll warm it up to exactly that to calibrate. Once calibrated a good meter compensates for temp, cheaper ones do not. Warmer solution conducts electricity better so reads a higher ec. Also different minerals conduct more or less so despite equal amounts one mineral will read higher ec/ppm vs the other.

With all that being said sounds like you added a shit ton of amendments plus hydroton. A lot of that runoff number I guarantee is the soluble portion of those amendments and possibly poorly washed coco. Did you rinse the hydroton before using? I've seen rinse water come off of new hydroton super red( so probably a high ec) and really high ph too....

Regardless I'd run those bitches thru get them numbers down. JMO

xenon730

xenon730

I've never bothered to test run off ever in 5+yrs of growing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Plus I may find out something I don't know. Lol
I'm testing it now on some extra flowering plants because I'm like you. So far i can't get it to come out clear or 0 and it has had no effect on the test plant at all if i put food in after all the flush. I should add its buffered canna coco being tested, chosen specifically.

Top Bottom