russet mites

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SSlayer69

SSlayer69

Bro sorry to see those.it looks just like what I'm starting to go through. See the pics and see what you think but it looks like Russet mites to me. I'm starting my first round with Big Time Exterminator tonight. Let's hope it works out.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Yes, I have read the label. I am well aware to spray products in the early morning or evening before sunset to protect bees. I also do not have any body of water nearby and do not contaminate.

Apologies if you found my assertions offensive but I didn't want to just have the suggestion to use that product left without discussion. I have no experience with that product. Mite infestations range from simple irritation to full on emergencies. I'd rather do scorched earth than spray and try to salvage. But then again I don't have anyone else to challenge that decision. Systemic methods are well beyond my comfort levels even if they don't show up in a contamination test. I would just say that lack of small scale directions for the product is a red flag for using on a crop for human consumption.

SSlayer69

SSlayer69

Apologies if you found my assertions offensive but I didn't want to just have the suggestion to use that product left without discussion. I have no experience with that product. Mite infestations range from simple irritation to full on emergencies. I'd rather do scorched earth than spray and try to salvage. But then again I don't have anyone else to challenge that decision. Systemic methods are well beyond my comfort levels even if they don't show up in a contamination test. I would just say that lack of small scale directions for the product is a red flag for using on a crop for human consumption.

I have sprayed 3 times in the last 6 days with the big time exterminator my plants are so happy every night be getting

SSlayer69

SSlayer69

First off what's up everyone hope your grows are healthy and heavy.
Just a quick post the russet mites have been dealt with. Plants are big and healthy again. Starting to stack nicely. Will post pics tomorrow. Big have to give it to Big Time Exterminator came in and kicked ass so a BIG UP a most have if you get mites anyway night.

SSlayer69

SSlayer69

ACH]
How we doing today? Here's some pics to see my girls are a happy example of using BIG time exterminator. Pics 1,2 are GDP
The rest are Sean's Black Pineapple a strain i have been working on for about 5 years indoors. The first time doing outside so we will see.
Happy healthy grows

M

MCPotential

Any update on your situation? Russet mites use 100x microscope, if your broke clip a couple leaves and bring them to ur local frys electronics or microscope retailer, I've even used Craigslist to get a good look. When you see your leafs taco style along with that brownish rust or first on "TOP" the leafs closes to the stem of the leaf its more then time to investigate.

I assume that taco may be due to heat, the water is taking to long to get to the leafs...water half as much twice a day, preferable when late evening in shade, a good indication is when you drop 8 degrees Fahrenheit....whats the update tho? Everything bounce back? If russet infest, I have used bonfide sulphur powder mixed with water, flying skull Nuke em, and a sulphur burner, finally killed them Knock on wood

The Humanure

The Humanure

Index
Im holding my own with plant therapy. And hit the once with Conscerve SC. to knock down the adults.
This year I had lots of tulip aphids. Next year it might be mutant, swampdonkey chiggers.

The Humanure

The Humanure

Fucking bastards are inside the center of my plants. There no buds in there. I guess I keep spraying, and spraying... Conscerve SC for the win.

fumanchu

fumanchu

Hello, new to the forums but thought I would share. One thing I don't see a lot of is the signs of Russets on buds. Usually , pictures are shown of effects on leaves and the plant overall (tacoing of leaves, yellow or stunted growth etc). I am officially considering myself an expert on these bastards because I have had them now 3 years in a row and have learned to recognise the signs of when plants have them. The pictures below are from a Granddaddy Purple in my current outdoor garden. You can see the stunted, red pistils which is a sure sign. Another sign is in one of the pics you can see an ant. What I have found is, If I see ants on a plant, it means russets or some other insect that they are feeding off the excretions, like they do when aphids are on plants.

The first year I had them, I didn't know what was wrong until it was almost too late. I went through a list of treatments before I finally found the 2 that seem to work best for me; Grandevo and Green Cleaner. Grandevo, from my understanding, is made from a type of bacteria (or a by product of the bacteria) that when ingested, causes them to stop eating and die, similar to what BT does for caterpillars. Green cleaner is basically shampoo (sodium lauryl sulfate) +soybean oil with some alcohol. It will burn the shit out of your plants if you're not careful but it is good as part of a 1 - 2 punch. Mix it at 1 to 1.5 TBSP per gallon. Don't go with the initial recommended application of 2 TBSP /gallon because that will fuck up your plants, trust me, 2 years in a row and I finally figured out it was the GC that caused all kinds of burned /yellow leaves that eventually went necrotic with black dead spots. The GC is supposed to hit the eggs as well as the adults and larvae whereas the Grandevo primarily targets the bugs that are actively sucking the life out of your plants.

Here is what I have learned...the hard way.

DONT BRING NEW PLANTS into the garden from an unknown source. I CANNOT STRESS HOW STUPID THIS IS (and how STUPID I am for letting it happen twice, guess I have a hard head). 2 years ago I was "gifted" a plant from a friend of a friend who grows. Within 1 month I started to see the tacos on that plant and through it was heat stress as we were currently under a heat wave (Sacramento, Ca summers can get to 105/110 for a few days to a week). My nephew came over who also grows and called his buddy who accurately diagnosed the issue on his description. Got a scope and sure enough, I saw the "maggots" as I call them all over the plant. They spread to 3 of my others in the garden before I got them under control. One plant was a total loss.

This year, I got some clones from the same friend, who in turn, got them from the same guy who "gifted" me the plant 2 years before. This Mother ff'er must breed russets because dammned sure they had them. Now, this was really early in the season this year in april and they were young so I dusted them with sulphur to see if I could save the plants (that's actually mistake #2, once a plant has them, burn it, don't try to save it and infect your grow). After continuous checking it seemed the plants were mite-free so I continued to let them grow in my garden. One thing I have noticed about mites in general (take your pick,,,spider/russet) is they seem to explode when the temps start to get above 95 consistently. Sure enough, after our usual late July heat waves and going into August, I started noticing weird looking leaves on the prior mentioned clones...and after inspection sure enough, there they were...Maggots. Having th plants in pots makes it easier to relocate them so I removed those from the main garden area to start the Grandevo and Green cleaner treatment. Yeah...I know I said I should just burn em but, I wanted to really confirm the Grandeve and Green Cleaner combination. 3 weeks later and after regular treatments, I can say that the populations have been nearly eliminated, but will continue the treatments until the buds really start to stack up then it's just praying.

This year I also tried going with completely organic foliar sprays of Insect frass and Neem seed meal teas. Supposedly the Chitin (ky-Tin) in the frass prompts the plants to think they are being attacked and sheild themselves naturally and the neem seed meal is just a repellent. Well , this seems to work for other insects like spider mites, thrips etc...but still got russets. SO Next year I will start witht he Grandevo+Green Cleaner earlier as a weekly preventative spray along with the frass/neem combo.

Or I might just say f-it with outdoors and stick with indoor.

Happy growing! (Growmies of the world UNITED!)

DSC01051
DSC01052
DSC01053
Lovthegrow

Lovthegrow

:depressed: I need help!
Taco leaves and new pistols turning red and dying
Could it be just the heat? and low RH?
I spray them down with water everyday to cool them.
I dont feed much at all...but, I did feed them lightly(i think) last week
They are still praying everyday..and look fine at 1st glance
But, zoom in and you can see the hairs dying
View attachment 427346 View attachment 427354 View attachment 427347 View attachment 427350
Are they sick? Just too hot? or Nute burned?😕

:hungover:
Too Hot v

AutoNM3

AutoNM3

I've been scoping my plants every day. I haven't seen anything. Would like a second, third or any opinion if anyone sees anything. Thanks for any help. Happy growing everyone
Your pictures if no one told you ever have clear clear bugs on them and full of eggs. I really don’t want to read the rest of this post which is four years old but I hope someone saw what I clearly see! Hell you’ve got the classic trail of a russet my with eggs laid along the way in that last pic! The first pig has so many eggs it has more eggs then plant material I see. Can no one else see this? It is the rounded balls of darker green! I really don’t want to read the rest of this post which is four years old but I hope someone saw what I clearly see! Hell you’ve got the classic trail of a russet my with eggs laid along the way in that last pic! The first pic has so many eggs it has more eggs then plant material icy. Can no one else see this? It is the rounded balls of darker green! They are all over this tissue sample.

Slap

Slap

Yea, they are evil fuckers. I don't know where they came from, but they reportedly can survive on seeds, and the first time I saw them was on some small vegglings that I grew from seed. Hops are grown in the Colorado piedmont, and they could also easily have spread from the hops fields, since its all in the Cannabaceae family. Or like Spleefman said, maybe it came from ditchweed or victory hemp growing all over the Midwest.

I know that Hemp Russet Mites are closely related to Tomato Russet Mites, they are all Eriophyid mites. My tomatoes had some upward curling this year, and my outdoor Deep Chunks got pretty ripped up by the russet mites. I saw a buddy's outdoor garden that was totally ravaged by russet mites. His tomatoes were all but dead.

As far as getting rid of them in a large scale grow, good luck. I say just burn the building down. :mad0233: But if you are growing for an MMC, you should just do that anyway...

All the essential oil products don't work, including rosemary, lavender, neem, etc. Don't bother with Azamax, SNS-217, SM-90, etc. Abamectin in veg will kill em and their eggs. In bloom, I used SAFER Liquid Sulphur twice, 3 days apart, then I did a cycle of Mighty Wash/Power Wash. No trace of em at harvest and no nasty sulphur taste either. I have been checking on a regular basis with a microscope and have become super anal about spotting these fuckers. I think I'm going to just spray liquid sulphur the first week or two of bloom on a regular basis as a preventative instead of overusing Abamectin, so long as I don't actively see them.

More people than you think have em and have no idea what they are!
Green Mopho, Oct 10, 2011

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...or-hemp-russet-mites-in-colorado.40930/page-2

I was under the impression food grade D.Earth kills those kinds of insects and isn't harmful to humans it pets. Has to be food grade.

Soregongrower

Soregongrower

If it doesnt test positive for it whats the harm? And atleast i am keeping it real most farmers especially indoor growers use avid amd eagle 20 thru most the lifecycle and say there shit has never been sprated lol i keep it funky and i only use that"poison" when it is russet mites. I promise u that no greenclean or any oil will work. If u dont wanna use it tgen have fun wasting yr season and getting brown shit weed, i handle my shit in the first 2 weeks of flower when there is still almost all vegetative growth. U can take my advice or dont take my advice i dont give a fuck i am just trying to help, unlike u that only tell people what not to use probably cys u grow like 3 pkants and think ur bob marley reincarnated

So your saying. Avid/forbid/Floramite. I know old post but wanted to ask. My neighbor has them bad and I think they are starting to spread. I have 52 7+ ft plants I’m trying to save. Could you shoot me a message?

Top Bottom