Safely Remove Chloromine From Tap Water.

• Thread starter LordDankinstien
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FTWx561

For chlorine:

For chloramine:

The msrp seems kind of pricey but you could probably get it cheaper from a local hydro shop.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
That EVO 1000 looks perfect for me. I have the stealth 200 at a garden. The 1000 looks way better, and removes chloromines.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Nice thanks for the research!!! Maybe one of these days I will spring for a really nice ro system. I have a cheap one from ebay right now.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Nice thanks for the research!!! Maybe one of these days I will spring for a really nice ro system. I have a cheap one from ebay right now.

I think you can go cheaper actually:

Lots of options out there. I don't just need cheap, I need simple. I love my hose end filter, and it's actually sold by a tea base mix maker (boogie brew), but I don't think it removes chloramines. As I go more organic and will start using caps microbes, I want the water to be as welcoming as possible.

outwest

Snake Oil

Snake Oil

It only takes a tiny amount of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to neutralize chlorine and chloramine. 1000mg will easily neutralize a 50 gallon res.

W

whocares

capt its years later. What route have you been using for your water supply? r.o. water? or you just adding the humic acid to tap?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
capt its years later. What route have you been using for your water supply? r.o. water? or you just adding the humic acid to tap?

I use a big blue filter with a chloramine filter. Super easy and not really expensive. filtersfast.com I have the pentek filter.

W

whocares

I use a big blue filter with a chloramine filter. Super easy and not really expensive. filtersfast.com I have the pentek filter.

nice. does that give you a pretty decent ppm or ec to start with? my tap is 250 and if i unplug the "ro" filter and just use the prefilter and chloramine filter it still comes out 250ppm.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
nice. does that give you a pretty decent ppm or ec to start with? my tap is 250 and if i unplug the "ro" filter and just use the prefilter and chloramine filter it still comes out 250ppm.

My tap is about 1.0 EC, which is pretty high.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Most organic inputs will neutralize chlorine and chlorimine. Mollasses, EWC, compost, humic acid, kelp, alfalfa ext. Or just bubble for 24 hours.

Saguaro

Saguaro

this says that chloramine will not affect bennies in soil, but i am not sure about hydro. It also says that an RO filter will do nothing to prevent chloramines from passing through. Those who have looked at the bennies under a scope report significant amounts of microbial life, so my guess is the amount of chloramines is not high enough to affect them... just a guess though.

Chlorine is bad enough as a water treatment, being a cumulative carcinogen, linked to heart disease, and creating by-products that contribute to cancer and birth defects. But chlorine at least will dissipate fairly fast, when water is boiled or left exposed to air (most sources suggest it takes 24hrs for total dispersal) while chloramine will not.

Chloramine is less reactive than chlorine, including less reactive to air. The supposed benefits of chloramine for disinfecting water requires a longer reaction time, but as a result it can take days (some say weeks) to break down into non-toxic components.

Unfortunately, where we live…our natural tap is .7 EC which is insane!

So we have to use KDF85 carbon filters with our RO unit to remove (most) of the chloramines.

Then, we still allow our RO to sit uncapped for a while before we use it for the plants or even for ourselves!

IrishIndica

IrishIndica

The below article is government quoted,
https://inspiredliving.com/chloramine-filters/vitamin-c-removes-chloramines.htm
Basically is says that Absorbic acid (Vitamin C) will neutralise Chlorine AND Chloramine. They recommend 1000mg for an average sized bathtub. I reckon I might buy those lemon juice squirt things and put 5-10 drops per 10 litres for my water and let it sit a few hours before adding nutes and watering. Hopefully there will be enough Absorbic acid within to do the trick. I always need to PH down anyway cos I grow in coco. I reckon it could be an effective cheap easy fix for my small operation.

AMAUULU

AMAUULU

The below article is government quoted,
https://inspiredliving.com/chloramine-filters/vitamin-c-removes-chloramines.htm
Basically is says that Absorbic acid (Vitamin C) will neutralise Chlorine AND Chloramine. They recommend 1000mg for an average sized bathtub. I reckon I might buy those lemon juice squirt things and put 5-10 drops per 10 litres for my water and let it sit a few hours before adding nutes and watering. Hopefully there will be enough Absorbic acid within to do the trick. I always need to PH down anyway cos I grow in coco. I reckon it could be an effective cheap easy fix for my small operation.

AMAUULU

AMAUULU

Pet fish hobbyists and fish breeders are also very concerned with Removing Chloramine, Chlorine, Ammonia and Heavy Metals from Tap Water.

I Googled this topic and ran across a thread on www.fishlore.com where some products were mentioned: Prime, AquaSafe, API, Amquel Plus, NovAqua Plus. It seems Prime and API were the most popular.

NovAqua Plus interests me because the user (who used to use API) says his fish improved noticeably when he used NovAqua Plus for his regular tank water changes.

Most of these water treatment products are available online and at some pet supply stores. I have an outdoor goldfish 225 gal synthetic container pond so I might do as someone else here mentioned; using some of my goldfish pond water to make up my teas. However, I think I need to have one of the above water treatment products on hand for large quantities of water for my MJ plants.

Also read a science article about the complexities and expense of treating tap water to remove chloramines and the resultant possibly toxic level of ammonias (that will kill fish) that remain.

Although the products, Prime and API, seemed the most frequently mentioned (prob'ly because they've been available commercially the longest), I will try the NovAqua Plus which, according to the people on the fishlore.com threads, does not affect the beneficial microbes in their tanks. Dosage for NovAqua Plus is one Teaspoon in 10 gallons of water (1 oz NovAqua Plus treats 60 gallons water)

Amquel Plus which detoxes water of Chlorines and Chloramines also removes Ammonia and Nitrates. CAVEAT in using Amquel Plus...It uses oxygen in its detox process so be sure you have sufficient oxygenation going on while treating your water. Amquel Plus can be used with NovAqua Plus. (I'll have to read more about that combo).

I'm a completely newbie organic grower so I want to start off by protecting the organisms in my (expensive) beneficial mychorrhizal granules and powders I just purchased.

ethcan

ethcan

This is an old thread but I'd like to drop some info on those looking it over, because I saw a bit of misinformation earlier on in it.

Through my research, I finally settled on Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). It can be bought as a bulk powder on Amazon. Here is a research paper provided by the USDA. You can build your strategy based on it.
https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html

I am currently running 5 grams of pure ascorbic acid powder to 55 gallon's of straight from the tap tap water.

I am also running beneficial microbes and they work well in this mixture.

No ill effects from the ascorbic acid as far as I can tell.

As far as Seachem Prime (and likely other aquarium dechlorinators), there is one consideration.

During selfing or reversing, breeders will use colloidal silver, or silver thiosulfate (STS) to induce male flowers from a female plant.
The active compound in Seachem Prime is Sodium Thiosulfate. Now I would assume the mechanism of action from STS in reversal comes from the elemental silver, however it's just something to keep in mind. Maybe a chemist or plant physiologist could comment on that, as I'm not qualified to make a recommendation there.

I'm very happy with ascorbic acid.

ethcan

ethcan

Updating:

Per the EPA:

"
as grams per 1,000 liters, which may be converted to mil- ligrams per liter (mg/L). Therefore, 1 g/m3 = 1 mg/L = 1 ppm. Likewise, one milligram per cubic meter (mg/m3) is the same concentration in water as one microgram per liter (ug/L), which is about 1 ppb.
"

Therefor. If your tap water is 3ppm (look up your municipal water supply's water report) you would need to add 0.027 grams per gallon of ascorbic acid to dechlorinate it.

Top Bottom