Second Coco Grow

• Thread starter DonBelmont
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DonBelmont

My basic grow space is a 2' x 6'' closet. Which imposes some interesting challenges. Throw in the wonderful New England weather (yes cold cold cold)

My first year I did photo period plants with what I'd describe as limited success for the effort and cost.

Over the summer I rethought and modified my operation and grow space. Now all one space and much upgraded insulation to help keep the temperature even. The key change was going with Auto Flower plants coupled with a 24 hour light scheme which drastically simplified the operation and has already produced more from 1 plant (4.5 oz) then I got from 5 plants all last year. That one plant went from seed to done in less then 3 months so costs were also reduced.

So I've started 3 Auto Tangerine Dream for grow number 2. These are 70 day plants where the Amnesia was an 80. The 24 hour light schedule makes maintaining a good temperature much easier and cheaper. With constant light all the plant gets good lighting. My one plant was done under 150 Watts of HPS and these 3 will be 2 (150 Watt HPS) and 1 250Watt HPS. No heat needed for the dark times and no separate sensors for the different cycles. So my electric costs all go to light for the girls. When all three are under light my cost should be about 80 bucks for 30 days. Since our power is pricey (.17 a KW it's important to use it wisely)

The other change which has done well is switching to Coco Coir and cloth pots. I feed 3 times a day at a typical half strength or less.. Using all Canna products including the Coco. My first 1 plant grow I used Canna Start , A/B and PK 13. This time I've added Canna Rhizotonic to the list to stimulate root growth on the theory that better root means better yield. We shall see.

One major improvement was using a PH meter for testing my juice. I think my first year my PH testing using one of those reagent kits was not consistent. The meter gives way more precise results for dialing in the juice. I think the results speak for themselves. And a PH meter is not pricey at all. Less then 20 bucks so I bought 2 to have a spare.

I'll see if I can get some workable pics to show the girls.

Don

D

DonBelmont

I hate trying to take pictures in a grow. No green light so plants all turn white. Maybe tomorrow I'll find a camera with a flash.

Top Bottom