Second Time Around

• Thread starter crimsonecho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Great stuff here CrimsonE! Thanks for the data and very interesting about the molasses comparison.
Great follow.
Thanks man. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Molasses will be my regular from now on. Living organic soil goes great with molasses.
I suspect the lack of terpenes is partly because i took it down a bit early. But then again, i have been noticing a lack of smell and delayed or “sub-par” ripening process from the first day i flipped and it never got any better. The explanation of the science between molasses and terpenes may need more research on my part but this chart is pretty clear that molasses is a great fertilizer, especially considering the price.
6270CB27 E3C9 4181 9B35 8A2C7D581AA3

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

Thanks man. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Molasses will be my regular from now on. Living organic soil goes great with molasses.
I suspect the lack of terpenes is partly because i took it down a bit early. But then again, i have been noticing a lack of smell and delayed or “sub-par” ripening process from the first day i flipped and it never got any better. The explanation of the science between molasses and terpenes may need more research on my part but this chart is pretty clear that molasses is a great fertilizer, especially considering the price.
View attachment 839232

It’s those sugars that get everything going in the LOS. I’ve been studying LOS a lot and pretty much sold for my next run. And molasses will definitely be in the mix throughout.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
It’s those sugars that get everything going in the LOS. I’ve been studying LOS a lot and pretty much sold for my next run. And molasses will definitely be in the mix throughout.
Yeah it definitely helps a lot but besides sugars feeding the micro-herd it has good deal of potassium and other macro-micro nutes too. I am sure you will see the benefits of it.
If nothing else, molasses smell will make you happy :) delicious.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Dinachems fattened up pretty good. Branches bending (which happened after molasses, beer and banana fpe), smell is great, fade is setting in nicely, i think i will take them down before another weekly update but we will see. That potassium boost at the very end served me well.
220A65F7 D43C 424A 891C EFDE76898B10
D8A9F381 4232 49C8 BF36 B771D8B10FC9
9FADA753 006F 4988 86CB 18EC5E9BF735

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Thanks man, i am really happy about how they turned out.

I see you're using smartpots and I'm planning on doing the same (plastic pots suuuuck), so I was wondering about your solution to drainage. I noticed the expanded clay underneath, is there a grate below them and a sump, or do you let the moisture evaporate while keeping them out of the water with the pellets?

I've been mulling over this problem for some time and my best idea so far was a raised shower pan (used under tile showers for slope) that drains into a container. Then a float activated fountain pump siphons out from the container.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I see you're using smartpots and I'm planning on doing the same (plastic pots suuuuck), so I was wondering about your solution to drainage. I noticed the expanded clay underneath, is there a grate below them and a sump, or do you let the moisture evaporate while keeping them out of the water with the pellets?

I've been mulling over this problem for some time and my best idea so far was a raised shower pan (used under tile showers for slope) that drains into a container. Then a float activated fountain pump siphons out from the container.
Your solution seems nice, i have done a water only grow so tried to get zero runoff. Also mulching the soil kept it incredibly loose so the water distrubition and absorption was very good. When there was any runoff, i just let it evoporate as you said.
There isn’t a grate under the pebbles (used a grate before too, it works fine, but at the end you get a crusty pattern at the bottom of the pot :)). There is about 1.5 inches of clay pebbles underneath to keep the plants wicking the runoff back up. But if you are going to do feeds and planning to get good amounts of runoff, then your idea is way better. It will need to be pumped out.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
The solution i came up with before going with the pebbles was, raising the the tray underneath, just a tad, maybe couple of inches (more is better if you have headspace) and drilling a hole in the middle, and let the water drain into another tray from that hole. Which you can empty by the means you choose (heavylifting or a pump).
The objects you use should have good surface area to support the upper tray. Also you don’t need to put a tray underneath, you can hook up a hose and seal it with silicone or something and let the runoff flow into a little bucket thru the hose. The only drawback is that hose have to stay higher than the bucket but lower than the upper tray i guess.
Never tried this idea, just seems like it could work and it is a passive solution, no electricity.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The solution i came up with before going with the pebbles was, raising the the tray underneath, just a tad, maybe couple of inches (more is better if you have headspace) and drilling a hole in the middle, and let the water drain into another tray from that hole. Which you can empty by the means you choose (heavylifting or a pump).
The objects you use should have good surface area to support the upper tray. Also you don’t need to put a tray underneath, you can hook up a hose and seal it with silicone or something and let the runoff flow into a little bucket thru the hose. The only drawback is that hose have to stay higher than the bucket but lower than the upper tray i guess.
Never tried this idea, just seems like it could work and it is a passive solution, no electricity.

I like smartpots because I purposefully overwater every feeding to flush and cycle the nutes. Works well on my big outdoor girls. I'll need to be running a lot of water through my indoor girls to do the same thing.

I've still got time to think about it as I save money for my growroom. Your silicon idea is good. I think I can improve on it using pipe fittings with a rubber compression seal (some drain plugs are built that way). Thanks man.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I like smartpots because I purposefully overwater every feeding to flush and cycle the nutes. Works well on my big outdoor girls. I'll need to be running a lot of water through my indoor girls to do the same thing.

I've still got time to think about it as I save money for my growroom. Your silicon idea is good. I think I can improve on it using pipe fittings with a rubber compression seal (some drain plugs are built that way). Thanks man.
Yeah man, nice touch, i am not that good at engineering :)

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ok just did a weigh in and they both came between 80-90grs. My scale has 10gr intervals. So i will take the lower end and say 80gr per plant, which is 2.8oz. So two plants 5.6oz.
Not bad but last time Nl was 3.5 oz. So it is confirmed without a doubt for me that this likes a heavy feeding and i took it down a little too early. Not much, but 1 more week would be better.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Final update. Turned off the lights, giving 3 days dark period. All trichomes seem milky, it is fat, all the branches are bending, almost about to snap.
Maybe i should support them next time, i’m always underestimating how good i am, man i’m humble :D
Smell is great, lots of white pistils but i think it will just keep on throwing more. It has been 73 days in flower. Thats enough.
079B0FE0 D920 4FB6 A103 34890C2B94D0
785F059E 6296 42A5 89B2 B344B677CA01
3BF568A1 BF1C 43E1 8682 8552B0382960
053D9C8B D14B 48FB B018 8B2A6D8D2A22
2080F482 A5AC 43DA A8F0 37FF59DE3090
FB2632BF 26D1 4341 BF3D 5BC0E1A39776
A28A9CB3 18F0 4589 A378 3D5A02B89961
AA24C035 5FD5 4F30 824B BE494B3FC2DC

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Harvested. Was gonna do 3 day dark but i got bored, plus i need to set the tent up for a new grow after these dry. They are hanging on the tent for now. Will do a dry trim this time.
It feels like its gonna be a good yield. Dense and has nice smell. It feels like over 4 oz. per plant dry.
C3B93574 7699 4337 91A0 D4577AA2ABA0
B95E4447 966F 4E2B 8494 D2CDFA93D6FD
3424A5F0 AAF1 4C7D B3A0 32D3DB9EBC95
8D07F215 007A 4495 B931 3DD5E7BC9090
70F0F2F7 18A1 4F44 A6E2 BF4B9F75F253
7EC585FF 4E5A 4962 8943 CB35B93EBB98
76358270 665D 45ED AFCA 6CE73F334649

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Splitting the stem works! (Probably)

These four plants were clones from the same mother, they got same nutes, by which i mean plain water and occasional boosts.
In the both strains there was one generally growing better than the other (because it started with more branches or a had a better structure due to monster cropping).
What i did was, i picked the underarchiever and split the stem of it. In both strains, i did the same.
For Nl it was 2-3 days prior to harvest. For the Dinachem it was about 15 days prior to harvest.
Now the results are still inconclusive because i don’t have the final weigh in for the Dinachem but i can clearly feel a difference in the wet weight.
It was the same for the NL. The one i choose to split its stem ended up as the same weight as the other one. While the unsplit one filled a jar whole. The split one filled only 3/4 of the same jar. Weight was same.
Now for Dinachem, the one i choose to split had 12 mains and the other one had 10 [but it was generally bigger and looking fuller (the one on the right at every pic after taking the Nls down)].
I can also see a weight difference branch by branch. I will do a weigh in and post the results, but, for now i’ll say it looks pretty promising.

Personal note so i don’t get them mixed up :):
The three hanging on the hooks starting from the left end are the split ones. The other three are the unsplit ones.
(In photos the split ones are on the 2 hooks starting from the left, had to break it up a little more, so now they’re on 3)

Note for you guys:
The 60cm ruler (24”) is in the middle (only 35-37 cm is visible), on the left are from the split one and anything on the right is from the unsplit one.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
The dinachems dried enough to be jarred. They’re at good moisture content and i don’t think it’ll take much burping from now on. Maybe 2 times a week. Well we’ll see if it gets moist or not. It’s been drying for 11 days.

It smells amazing. Dank dank dank. Will use some for rosin :)

Two plants came in at 350gr. about 12.3oz give or take. Thru curing it could lose a bit too but not much.

So the lights did their job for sure but i noticed it took a bit more time with these. I’m sure if i compansated for this setback with the Nl, the yields would be even higher.

Well anyway, organic soil with drip irrigation and a little potassium boost at the end. This is what this grow was about.

So thats 5.6oz for Nl and 12.3 oz for dinachem. 17.9 total under 470-480w leds, monstercropped, vegged for 20 days. Its nice :)

Top Bottom