Seedling Discoloration

• Thread starter Be42ohh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Be42ohh

Be42ohh

I just started a new grow about a week ago, and I have 2 auto flowers growing at the moment. One looks great, the other has been growing a little slower and I am starting to notice some discoloration on the tips of the first true leafs. I have been doing research and can’t find anything that could give me answers.

I am in a 2x4x5 tent with a single 600w led. I have been keeping the PH around 6.0-6.5. I have an exhaust and intake set up. Also I am in 5 gallon smart pots, with FFOF and about 30% perlite. I have been watering everyday ( only about 100ml) No nutes. Just switched to watering every other day (with a liter each). I was thinking the discoloration could be because the FFOF is too hot but the other seedling is not showing any signs of illness. So I am not sure.

Any advice or ideas as to what could be causing this, would help me out a lot.

Second picture is the other plant that was planted the same time.
Seedling discoloration

Seedling discoloration 2

rootexcess

rootexcess

Don't overthink it. It seems fine. The soil could be a bit hot for them, certainly. I would recommend, in the future, not starting seeds in 5 gallon pots. There is absolutely no reason to do that and it comes with the risk of overwatering. Start it in something much smaller and possibly amend it with some less nutrient dense soil to ease up the effects of a hot soil. I also prefer to start seeds under a couple T5s if that's a possibility for you. No reason to run anything more than that, quite honestly.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Don't overthink it. It seems fine. The soil could be a bit hot for them, certainly. I would recommend, in the future, not starting seeds in 5 gallon pots. There is absolutely no reason to do that and it comes with the risk of overwatering. Start it in something much smaller and possibly amend it with some less nutrient dense soil to ease up the effects of a hot soil. I also prefer to start seeds under a couple T5s if that's a possibility for you. No reason to run anything more than that, quite honestly.
This is one of the best answers i've read on this forum. Do this.

Be42ohh

Be42ohh

I have read that autoflowers should be started in final pot, because any transplant shock can effect yield. Also this is the only light I have at the moment.

Be42ohh

Be42ohh

I have read that autoflowers should be started in final pot, because any transplant shock can effect yield. Also this is the only light I have at the moment.
Actually I do have a 45 watt led, maybe run that for a little while?

rootexcess

rootexcess

Anyone who talks about transplant shock is likely not doing a very great job transplanting. And I don't mean that out of disrespect, but I haven't see transplant shock in at least a decade. It's been a while since I have grown an autoflower, but I would much rather have an appropriate start to a life and upsize properly over using a pot that is grossly oversized.

I can't say for certain, I'm a numbers guys and 45 watt led doesn't tell me much about value to the plant. You can use your other light, just give it a lot of distance. 150-200 PAR is ideal for seedlings in my opinion.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

I didn't read the auto part. I haven't tested that specifically but i doubt it initially. There is no hinderance of growth rate when transplanting a strain is done properly. In fact, it usually leads to increased growth rates almost immediately and foliage sizing up. I've heard that before also but if i were you i would test it. The myths around coco are insane and none of them were true when i tested them. You have to be super careful. Great growers can believe some stupid shit. Producing good, healthy cannabis is not as difficult as it's made out to be and like anything else, hearsay is usually garbage info.

Be42ohh

Be42ohh

I didn't read the auto part. I haven't tested that specifically but i doubt it initially. There is no hinderance of growth rate when transplanting a strain is done properly. In fact, it usually leads to increased growth rates almost immediately and foliage sizing up. I've heard that before also but if i were you i would test it. The myths around coco are insane and none of them were true when i tested them. You have to be super careful. Great growers can believe some stupid shit. Producing good, healthy cannabis is not as difficult as it's made out to be and like anything else, hearsay is usually garbage info.
Thank you very much for this^^

Top Bottom