Separating buds from shake

• Thread starter girlwondergrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

I've got a reoccurring problem with shake in my meds. After trimming and curing I need to separate leaf particles and tiny little broken pieces from the buds. The best I've come up with so far is just shaking the material in my hand and letting the duff fall through. With the volume I'm dealing with that is hours and hours of shaking. Has anyone come up with a better solution?

To be clear, I'm not trying to kief or lower the buds quality. I want to preserve it as much as possible, but don't want a cup of crap at the bottom of every bag.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you're ending up with that much shake that it's a problem, then there's a problem with how you're drying, curing and/or trimming the product. Are you trimming wet or dry? Are you taking measures to ensure the trim is kept separated from the final product?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Good morning, seamaiden. So nice to see you round the farm. I hope life has been treating you well.

-TF

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

So, as an update the best solution I've found is to use a large shallow flat bottomed tub, mist the bottom with a spray bottle then pour the material into it and shake it around. The little pieces adhere to the moist surface and the large ones can be bounced away.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

You just need to trim better in my opinion. If its a shaggy trim, when it fully drys every peice of leaf you didnt trim breaks off and ends up in the bag.

squiggly

squiggly

If you get a big enough flat surface you should be able to just roll the nugs away. The different parts will move differently (according to their coefficients of friction, densities, weight difference, size, etc.).

In the same fashion, in a large enough receptacle where the buds/shake can move freely--if you apply a vibration of sufficient frequency an strength (a vibrator or "neck massager" comes to mind), most of the shake should settle to the bottom.

Hope that helps.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
so if it wasn't trim falling off the nugs, your nugs were so dry there were turning into shake?o_O
Just throw it in a brown paper grocery bag and shake it around and your nugs will be on top and you can grab them by hand and then put those on a flat surface and just pick the nugs out and scrape that shake into the bag and voila, a bag of shake!

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

I've been trying to find those cigar humidifier things that will absorb moisture or release it as necessary but I haven't been successful. On the shake the buds were basically slowly crumbling, way over dry. Thank you all for the valuable information!

Landfishd

Landfishd

Get a turkey fry basket. I have found this to work the best.

Or I should say a friend of mine has shown me that this works the best. He operated a dispensary and they would put meds that were a little too leafy and shaky in the fry basket. Though it was more for separating shake from the bud not so much taking trim off of buds. If it was on the drier side this would work well I suppose for the purpose you seem to need it for.

Landfishd

Landfishd

I've been trying to find those cigar humidifier things that will absorb moisture or release it as necessary but I haven't been successful. On the shake the buds were basically slowly crumbling, way over dry. Thank you all for the valuable information!

Are you talking about the humidi-paks? Many smoke shops and cigar shops carry them. There are a few distributors in Socal if you are in the area.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

This happened to me on a harvest a few months ago, I over dried my buds and there was alot of shake in every jar and bag. I put them back in jars with a piece of a moist paper towel taped to the top of the jar lid. After about 24 hours I moved the buds around and remoistened the paper towel (if needed) and let it sit for another 24 hours or so. The buds will moisten up within a couple days and no more shake after that. Just make sure you don't over dry your buds again because its better when there dried correctly, good luck.

No need for a humidi-pak, unless you wanna spend money on that, but the paper towel method worked great for me.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

yeah i've played with this a lot and anything below 50% is def drying out. not so bad if you're like me and only use vaporizer, but for smoking 60ish seems ideal.

unless you have a filtered/controlled environment specifically for drying, 65 is prob at the edge of potential mold problems. 40 makes more sense in that case, but better watch it close and catch before it's too dry (higher once in jars/bags). i'd thikn anything stored at 20% would turn to dust pretty quick..

Top Bottom