Sexing Questions Speculations And Assumptions

• Thread starter Nugsy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nugsy

Nugsy

What's growing on everyone...Nugsy here with a couple of questions and concerns about about sexing.

Well we know we all want females, for budding of course. Then we have males for pollination. And lastly we have the combination of both Hermaphrodites or Hermie for short.

I feel like someone needs to explore the Hermie plants for further inspection. (Not me lol).

Sure there info and I've read just about everything I could find on Hermie's. Yet I still feel like more could be explained and tested, just so we could be sure of how to avoid them.

I know hermies can be influenced by sooooo many variables its crazy. From bad genetics to bad environments.

What exactly rules out bad genetics?
It seems to me that Hermie's are what gives us feminised seeds. Using a foreign toxin to the mj plant on 1 area or branch causes her to pollinate herself. As to which in my eyes is the same as simply having a light leak during flowering period.
So how could Hermie's be ruled out?

Suppose you grow a female from seed and around 8week in flower...Nanners!
Does that mean she's a Hermie from start? Or is it that in their true environment they would have been pollinated by males long before?

Another question.. Suppose you take that same plant and harvest it before it pollinates but....leave enough foliage to reveg. Would that plant grow to become a Hermie ?....or would it grow as a female as it started before?

I have many questions with info unavailable. I'm reaching out to my fellow growers for answers?
And I have a plant that is in question.
Strain:Purple Reign(Recon Og x Royal Purplex2) Ethos Gen. Seedbank

Sexing questions speculations and assumptions
Sexing questions speculations and assumptions 2
Sexing questions speculations and assumptions 3
Sexing questions speculations and assumptions 4
Sexing questions speculations and assumptions 5
Sexing questions speculations and assumptions 6
Sexing questions speculations and assumptions 7
Sexing questions speculations and assumptions 8
Sexing questions speculations and assumptions 9
Dewd

Dewd

What's growing on everyone...Nugsy here with a couple of questions and concerns about about sexing.

Well we know we all want females, for budding of course. Then we have males for pollination. And lastly we have the combination of both Hermaphrodites or Hermie for short.

I feel like someone needs to explore the Hermie plants for further inspection. (Not me lol).

Sure there info and I've read just about everything I could find on Hermie's. Yet I still feel like more could be explained and tested, just so we could be sure of how to avoid them.

I know hermies can be influenced by sooooo many variables its crazy. From bad genetics to bad environments.

What exactly rules out bad genetics?
It seems to me that Hermie's are what gives us feminised seeds. Using a foreign toxin to the mj plant on 1 area or branch causes her to pollinate herself. As to which in my eyes is the same as simply having a light leak during flowering period.
So how could Hermie's be ruled out?

Suppose you grow a female from seed and around 8week in flower...Nanners!
Does that mean she's a Hermie from start? Or is it that in their true environment they would have been pollinated by males long before?

Another question.. Suppose you take that same plant and harvest it before it pollinates but....leave enough foliage to reveg. Would that plant grow to become a Hermie ?....or would it grow as a female as it started before?

I have many questions with info unavailable. I'm reaching out to my fellow growers for answers?
And I have a plant that is in question.
Strain:purple Reign(Recon Og x Royal Purplex2) Ethos Gen. Seedbank
As far as I know hermaphrodite is genetic. Some hermies express this trait easier than others. Forms of stress help bring the hermaphrodite traits forward but only if they already exist in the plant to begin with. This is the way I understand it. I could be wrong.

Dan789

Dan789

Pics 4&5 have nanners, and also looks like some female "hairs" near some of the others nodes. I don't think there's much sense growing that plant out.
As the other plants show sex, just keep that in mind what your looking to grow, a nice harvest, that only happens with females. Good luck.

Nugsy

Nugsy

I understand that part very well but I'm wanting to know. More as I know the plant in question is a female....I flowered it for sexing and then reverted back to get....and manners came about.....Should b due to the light schedule...the plant is now stunted and not growing much because she's not under 24hr light.

As far as I know hermaphrodite is genetic. Some hermies express this trait easier than others. Forms of stress help bring the hermaphrodite traits forward but only if they already exist in the plant to begin with. This is the way I understand it. I could be wrong.

Nugsy

Nugsy

Pics 4&5 have nanners, and also looks like some female "hairs" near some of the others nodes. I don't think there's much sense growing that plant out.
As the other plants show sex, just keep that in mind what your looking to grow, a nice harvest, that only happens with females. Good luck.

Yea she has a few nanners but they came once went back into veg. I have peeled away the nanners and back under 20/4 light schedule but she's not growing much.

If I flower her again will she have nanners again? Or will she shoot more buds?...she's has poped out more pistils no more nanners

Nugsy

Nugsy

side note u don't have fem seeds from herm u want the purest fem u can find and add silver to the fem plant making it make its own seeds then them seeds will be a pure fem

herm plants going to make herm seeds lol

My dear friend Tinder, I thank you for you input...let's chat.
We can sit here go on and on about from and herm. I'm saying there is no such thing as a pure fem!
I say this because....You make a silver solution that is Foreign and Toxic to the plant. No matter how you look at it it makes the plant Hermie with its own pollen and pollinate itself...correct? Well that is a Hermes Plant. Just the sane as having a light leak on one branch that one branch will herm and pollinate itself. So its still a hermie
That still gonna pass on that trait to the offspring. So tell me how could you rule out Hermie's if thats what we all are growing.

I think your environment an genetics play major roles in obtaining nanners but as far as I'm concerned most plants are already herm it just takes stress to bring out the nanners.

So how can you obtain a pure fem seed from making them herm with a toxic solution to pollinate herself???

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

My dear friend Tinder, I thank you for you input...let's chat.
We can sit here go on and on about from and herm. I'm saying there is no such thing as a pure fem!
I say this because....You make a silver solution that is Foreign and Toxic to the plant. No matter how you look at it it makes the plant Hermie with its own pollen and pollinate itself...correct? Well that is a Hermes Plant. Just the sane as having a light leak on one branch that one branch will herm and pollinate itself. So its still a hermie
That still gonna pass on that trait to the offspring. So tell me how could you rule out Hermie's if thats what we all are growing.

I think your environment an genetics play major roles in obtaining nanners but as far as I'm concerned most plants are already herm it just takes stress to bring out the nanners.

So how can you obtain a pure fem seed from making them herm with a toxic solution to pollinate herself???

no such thing as a chick with a dick only a dude with tits

Nugsy

Nugsy

no such thing as a chick with a dick only a dude with tits

I beg to differ my friend.
If that is true you wouldn't even get fem seeds...

The female produces pollen sacks herself as a survival trait...the nanners are pollen sacks pistils converted into male pollen sacks called Stamen. This process is called Rhodelization.

We can go on and on my friend but if you go back and read....this is what happens.

Last edited:
Nugsy

Nugsy

This is from the growweedeasy website credited by Neville and Nebula Haze.

If a female plant is allowed to go too long without being harvested or pollinated (allowed to go past the point of optimal harvest), she will sometime produce a bunch of bananas in her buds as a last-ditch attempt to self-pollinate and create seeds for the next year. This is sometimes known asrhodelization. This is not as destructive as other types of hermies since it only happens after plants are already past the point of optimal harvest.

What causes it? While genetics does play a role in whether a plant is capable of producing bananas and mixed gender buds, environmental stress is often a big component in causing bananas to form. Luckily if you stick with high-quality genetics, you are much less likely to run into bananas even if you do accidentally stress your plants.

This is a post from a well credited grower on rollitup.com from back in 2011.

Want to know WHY a feminized bean isnt any more likely to turn hermie than regulars?

regular seeds are made from crossing a male (xy) and female (xx) cannabis plant. therefore the offspring can be either xx or xy...correct? yes.

ok.

feminized beans are generally made in a few different ways but lets use the colloidal silver method. say one female plant is sprayed with the CS and bananas grow. pollen sacs burst...either get itself preggo (S1 seeds would result btw) or the pollen from one female treated with CS is used to get another female preggo.

even though the CS was used the plants are still both female (xx)....so xx + xx can't equal xy (male)...

thats not to say you can't have bad genetics that will go hermie. regular beans DO have hermies...not just feminized seeds. generally seeds from a reputable breeder will stay female no matter how much you stress them. generally if you get a hermie from a fem bean its because of a fault in the genetics.

Ive tested this theory by light/nute poisoning a plant from dutch passion for over 30 days. it got extremely stressed but did not show one pollen sac!

So this is just my attempt to put an end to the "do fem seeds go hermie" threads as well as the (no offense) idiots that say, "dont buy fem seeds...you'll just get hermies"

Also sativa or sativa dominant strains DO TEND TO HERMIE MORE OFTEN/EASILY THAN indica or indica dominant strains. that i dont have an explanation for but ive noticed a pattern regardless if those sativas or indicas came from reg or fem beans

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

if u know all this why u asking about it???? and as u said some times this can happen I have not had it happen on any of my plants after weeding out the bad plants and I have left plants setting in full light for a week after pulling them out of flower

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

side note any nanner I have got don't turn In to sack it goes right to seed as u where saying the nann is the male inside stem of the pollen sack where a sack has to open to fuck u the nann will turn what ever in to seed bc its pollen it self

Dewd

Dewd

I understand that part very well but I'm wanting to know. More as I know the plant in question is a female....I flowered it for sexing and then reverted back to get....and manners came about.....Should b due to the light schedule...the plant is now stunted and not growing much because she's not under 24hr light.
I would throw it away. It's a herm and will always be a herm

Nugsy

Nugsy

if u know all this why u asking about it???? and as u said some times this can happen I have not had it happen on any of my plants after weeding out the bad plants and I have left plants setting in full light for a week after pulling them out of flower

Dude you should really read my posts before replying....

I want to know what rules out a bad plant Hermie-ness or bad genes.

And I wanted to know if you had a plant that went to herm during flower, if you harvested and revegged would it return as a Hermie or as female as she started

Nugsy

Nugsy

I would throw it away. It's a herm and will always be a herm

I have a plant in question... But she started as a female....I have plucked the nanners and reverted to veg more pistils appeared but I wonder if it will Hermie again in flower again?

I will conduct research an tests myself to see what happens.

I feel like not much us known about herms. We need to know more to avoid getting more of them.

Dewd

Dewd

I have a plant in question... But she started as a female....I have plucked the nanners and reverted to veg more pistils appeared but I wonder if it will Hermie again in flower again?

I will conduct research an tests myself to see what happens.

I feel like not much us known about herms. We need to know more to avoid getting more of them.
I'm not sure exactly the science behind herms but from my experience a herm is always a herm. Although some are more prone to produce nans than others. Personally I have a zero tolerance for herms. First sign and they're pulled. Too costly to mess with in my opinion. Unless you are brand new and need to learn first hand how crappy herms are I would just dump it. :)

Nugsy

Nugsy

I'm not sure exactly the science behind herms but from my experience a herm is always a herm. Although some are more prone to produce nans than others. Personally I have a zero tolerance for herms. First sign and they're pulled. Too costly to mess with in my opinion. Unless you are brand new and need to learn first hand how crappy herms are I would just dump it. :)

Believe me I know how crappy they can be. Ive had a crop infested with herms once.
Any herm I had gotten since I have thrown out.

Just really wanna experiment to get the correct and full science behind them.

I'll take clones from the plant in question and flower them an see if she continues to herm

Top Bottom