• Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

ir0nLung

DSCN2373
DSCN2398

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Healthy plants in a healthy environment will have thick stalks. No magic potions needed. I have found silica supplements to make branches brittle, flexibility is a must in windy situations. I went from hundreds of wind related branch breaks to none by eliminating silica. Maybe I will run it again sometime to re test my findings, but to me buds on the ground before harvest is not bigger yields.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Healthy plants in a healthy environment will have thick stalks. No magic potions needed. I have found silica supplements to make branches brittle, flexibility is a must in windy situations. I went from hundreds of wind related branch breaks to none by eliminating silica. Maybe I will run it again sometime to re test my findings, but to me buds on the ground before harvest is not bigger yields.
Was silica the only variable you changed? Because I've seen the opposite effect, stronger branches and less brittle. I currently feed between 20-50ppm Si depending on the growth stage, and recently been considering upping it to as much as double those numbers. But my girls only get wind from wall fans.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

I feel like there is an enormous difference between inside and out. Aside from the brand of amendments, silica was in fact the only thing that changed from my 2011 to 2012 outdoor. The only branch breaks I had last summer were from me fuckin around and not paying attention to where I was dragging the hose.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I feel like there is an enormous difference between inside and out. Aside from the brand of amendments, silica was in fact the only thing that changed from my 2011 to 2012 outdoor. The only branch breaks I had last summer were from me fuckin around and not paying attention to where I was dragging the hose.
Just curious, soluble silica or a soil amendment? Same genetics? I've read lively debate about this on other forums, from a few rather notorious online farmers, some of whom have flip-flopped on the subject.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Liquid Sand Potassium-Silicate Supplement was the product that came highly recommended. Its mode of function made perfect sense to me. Potassium is used in the formation of every cell wall, the silicate should make it stronger. I really believe that branches became less flexible as a result.

I don't know what others are using, and I will certainly try another product again sometime just to be certain.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
All the cats love to lay under all the plants..on the cool wet soil. ;)
In the Past I have had trouble with critters (mice?) Chewing my trunks and killing plants..
I used to have to put a plastic bottle around each trunk to try to protect it .

This year I have 10 cats! No more Gohpers or mice or squirrels :D

I think even the "in ground" the plants will be safe this year! (maybe)

Top Bottom