Sigh..... Cloning Issues...grrrrr Wtf Am I Doin Wrong

• Thread starter My420Seeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
My420Seeds

My420Seeds

I am dumbfounded............

I had taken those 20 babes i cut, bagged em and tossed em outside for garbage.

I was picking up loose crap to throw away and picked up the bag of "deads" when the
bottom fell out,
on the ground to my amazement..... THERE WAS 11 of the original 20 WITH ROOTS!!

lol sorryiest looking clones you ever saw, BUT there is some tiny fresh greenage on top
and the other 24 i just cut (i peeked at 2) seem to be showing rootage as well.

I think the 24hr light on was an issue, possibly a touch too warm, and too wet.

i set the new babes to 20/4 light, (24/7 was too much) and
moved the light back to 12" (3" was too close)
and drained off the water in the bottom(too wet).

I think im on course now.....
The new ones should be glorious in about a week (hope)

THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS

Desertdweler

Desertdweler

All righty.... here goes!

Cloning requires humidity. Clones also like 24 hours of light - to root. 18/6 hours light/dark for veg - after roots show.

Your clones look wilted. There was no moisture on the dome. That says to me... 1. too much heat 2. too much light 3. not humid enough. Or a combination of two or all three.

Your process of taking the clones sounds perfect. Just need to make sure the cubes are damp(not soaking wet). and make sure humidity is 80% or above for first week. Use a humidity meter so you know. Cheap to buy for loss of headaches. I have manual ones like the size of a silver dollar and also have digital remote sensing ones that also do temp.

I check moisture levels minimum 2x day. But try and check more often.

Every time I remove the dome, I mist tops and also mist the inside top of dome. But when I remove the dome, I always dump excess water that has accumulated wherever, on dome and in tray below clones. Then remist inside top of dome and clone tops when putting lid back on.

As time progresses past a week, you can start venting and humidity can drop slowly to around 50-70%

I also blow my breath into the dome to get some extra CO2 inside the dome, which also adds humidity.

In other words...

Keep it as humid as you can for first 5 days without being wet! No puddles just damp and humid like a rain-forest feels.

Make sense?

Any questions, Don't hesitate to ask.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
OK

i used to grow 20 years ago, just coming back.

I cut 20 babes, after 16 days not a root was evident.
the tops looked ok, i thot they were off n running.
All they did was swell on the stem a bit but not a root anywhere to be seen

1" rockwool cubes in a domed tray
Used 5.8PH water
temp was 78-82 80F on avg
wilson liquid rooting hormone
24hr light using 4-30w grow light, flourescents

Tossed all 20, then i cut 24 new ones.
I was as meticoulous as i could be.
new blade, into RH within 1 sec.
cubes were plenty wet.

looks like these 24 are heading to rest with the last 20

sigh getting discouraged when i cant even grow a feckin weed.....

WTF AM I DOING WRONG??
If you give them too much light or wrong temp and humidity then they wont root. 80 is too much... try gel...do you scrape the side of the cut? I clone 40 under a t12 or t8 shop light

Desertdweler

Desertdweler

If you give them too much light or wrong temp and humidity then they wont root. 80 is too much... try gel...do you scrape the side of the cut? I clone 40 under a t12 or t8 shop light

I forgot to mention my technique... I always cut branch lower than where i am going to make the cut for sticking in cube. Then trim leaves while assessng where I want to make my 45 degree angle cut.

I make sure to scrape the outer "bark"of cut to expose inner tissue to the hormones. I use liquid rooting hormone dip for 10 seconds before placing in cube.

I believe scraping the sides really help roots come out faster.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I forgot to mention my technique... I always cut branch lower than where i am going to make the cut for sticking in cube.

I make sure to scrape the outer "bark"of cut to expose inner tissue to the hormones. I use liquid rooting hormone dip for 10 seconds before placing in cube.

I believe scraping the sides really help roots comr out faster.
Thats correct.... your root hormone. . Or i3b hits the cells faster when you skin them...try clonex gel. And 75 degrees

Desertdweler

Desertdweler

I am dumbfounded............

I had taken those 20 babes i cut, bagged em and tossed em outside for garbage.

I was picking up loose crap to throw away and picked up the bag of "deads" when the
bottom fell out,
on the ground to my amazement..... THERE WAS 11 of the original 20 WITH ROOTS!!

lol sorryiest looking clones you ever saw, BUT there is some tiny fresh greenage on top
and the other 24 i just cut (i peeked at 2) seem to be showing rootage as well.

I think the 24hr light on was an issue, possibly a touch too warm, and too wet.

i set the new babes to 20/4 light, (24/7 was too much) and
moved the light back to 12" (3" was too close)
and drained off the water in the bottom(too wet).

I think im on course now.....
The new ones should be glorious in about a week (hope)

THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS

Update??? with pics.

rmb0513

rmb0513

I found this and it has jumped me to around a 90% success rate
Also every strain like different conditions
I have 1 that likes high humidity along with a heat mat and another that likes to dry out and low humidity
Also I feel mine do better if I keep them in keep them under the same lights as my plants in veg

Top Bottom