Signs That Plant Might Be Autoflower?

• Thread starter somethingwit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
somethingwit

somethingwit

Hey all. I was curious to know if there are any signs that occur throughout the vegetative process that would shine some light on whether a plant is autoflower or not. Again, I got these seeds from just laying around, so no clue on genetics or even strain. The last day or two, there was a thing or two that popped up that made me start to wonder if I may have autoflower in my tent and didn't know it.

So, are there any particular signs that I should look for, other than height of growing since I am using SCRog. From what I understand, they just get to a certain height, and just begin flowering on their own. What should I watch out for about that time? Even the smallest little change, I am very curious about.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
They will not get to a certain height, they will grow till they reach sexual maturity then flower. I don’t think there are any signs, besides flowering regardless of the light schedule you are providing. At least i didn’t notice any.

somethingwit

somethingwit

They will not get to a certain height, they will grow till they reach sexual maturity then flower.

Awesome answer. However, what defines or manifests itself as the plant being "sexually mature"? Is it when you can see the female pistils and the male pollen sacs (forgot that name)? Is it when the pistils start showing those two white translucent hairs?

I guess, overall, what would you say is the start of "sexual maturation" if you were looking at your plants? And... If I have reached sexual maturation, and they are autoflowers, should I go ahead and flip to the 12/12 light cycle, or does that really matter at all? If autogrow, the light being on 24 hours straight, will that help or hinder the buds/plant? (Also looking for anyone else that wants to answer as well)

Hahah my bad for the bombardment of questions lol. Started off as one, but sheesh there is so much info out there lol.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Yeah pistils will appear, thats a solid sign of maturity and also that they are about to flower, but autos are quirky, they will flower when they flower in the end.
No need to switch 12/12 except if you are doing a mixed grow with photos or you want to save some electricity.
I did 20/4 and 18/6 with no discernable difference between the too. 24 hrs on can be done, tho i have never done it myself, people do it.
Imho 18/6 gets good yields and saves electricity.

Last edited:
SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Awesome answer. However, what defines or manifests itself as the plant being "sexually mature"? Is it when you can see the female pistils and the male pollen sacs (forgot that name)? Is it when the pistils start showing those two white translucent hairs?

I guess, overall, what would you say is the start of "sexual maturation" if you were looking at your plants? And... If I have reached sexual maturation, and they are autoflowers, should I go ahead and flip to the 12/12 light cycle, or does that really matter at all? If autogrow, the light being on 24 hours straight, will that help or hinder the buds/plant? (Also looking for anyone else that wants to answer as well)

Hahah my bad for the bombardment of questions lol. Started off as one, but sheesh there is so much info out there lol.
I have also been told that when the nodes start alternating sides (meaning the nodes are no longer symmetrical) that it's a sign of sexual maturity. Just wanted to throw that info out there for ya...

somethingwit

somethingwit

I have also been told that when the nodes start alternating sides (meaning the nodes are no longer symmetrical) that it's a sign of sexual maturity. Just wanted to throw that info out there for ya...

Right on, so I see that in some of the plants, though I thought that was only from FIMing. So, out of curiousity, if these guys do turn out to be autoflower, I just need to go ahead and pull the SCRoG and let them grow normally?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Yeah alternating nodes are a solid sign of maturity too.
Right on, so I see that in some of the plants, though I thought that was only from FIMing. So, out of curiousity, if these guys do turn out to be autoflower, I just need to go ahead and pull the SCRoG and let them grow normally?
No it is not from fiming.
You can do a scrog, you probably will not be able to fill the net 100%, but its still a good technique. Its a personal choice.

Last edited:
somethingwit

somethingwit

Yeah alternating nodes are a solid sign of maturity too.

I'm glad there is someone seconding the idea that asymmetrical nodes is a sign of sexual maturation. (Lol anyone else chime in because it is making me feel more confident hahah)

No it is nor from fiming.

No joke, I know that I have read that it does by at least three different "reputable" authors, and of course here and there on different online articles. Oh, and of course, the ever present Certified YouTube Specialits lol. Really, I like the idea that the nodes beginning an assymetical branching being a good sign. If it is legit, it is one of those signs that kind of "confirms" that. Honestly, though. It is hard to discern even people of so called "authority" and be able to get a straight answer. This community is the one that I have chosen to trust in, so I'm for sure looking here for answers (as well as in the books).

You can do a scrog, you probably will not be able to fill the net 100%, but its still a good technique. Its a personal choice.

So, cool. Since this is my first grow, I do not mind if I do not fill the net in case these are autoflowers. In the case that they are, though. What are some steps or things to look out for when SCoGing autoflower?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I'm glad there is someone seconding the idea that asymmetrical nodes is a sign of sexual maturation. (Lol anyone else chime in because it is making me feel more confident hahah)

No joke, I know that I have read that it does by at least three different "reputable" authors, and of course here and there on different online articles. Oh, and of course, the ever present Certified YouTube Specialits lol. Really, I like the idea that the nodes beginning an assymetical branching being a good sign. If it is legit, it is one of those signs that kind of "confirms" that. Honestly, though. It is hard to discern even people of so called "authority" and be able to get a straight answer. This community is the one that I have chosen to trust in, so I'm for sure looking here for answers (as well as in the books).

So, cool. Since this is my first grow, I do not mind if I do not fill the net in case these are autoflowers. In the case that they are, though. What are some steps or things to look out for when SCoGing autoflower?
Just weave as normal, maybe keep the net as close as you can to the pots without hindering your ability to take care of them so you can fill the net more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom